Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 2nd March 2014, 11:15 PM
UB40 Fan

Default It's not just about the music

Hi all, Just wanted to say that when Ali first left I was happy to go and see him twice in concert as I still had respect for him and I didn't really want to take sides - still don't.

However, since astro left and they are trying to perform as UB40, I must be honest and say I have lost a little respect for them and, while I don't want to be judgmental - I wouldn't feel comfortable in going to any of their gigs. I would feel cheated, conned and misled. I couldn't even bring myself to download their new single for free.

Even if their new album is 'the true Sound of UB40', there is something more important than the music - honesty, integrity, loyalty and humility.

It's a real shame the way things have turned out, it's not the legacy that UB40 deserve to leave behind, hope there is a happy ending.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Signing in.
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:18 PM
Über UBLoonie

Great post
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:27 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to big Mick 68

I agree, even if they made the album of the decade I won't be buying it as I have lost all respect for the 'other lot'
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:32 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Old 2nd March 2014, 11:34 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signing in View Post
Hi all, Just wanted to say that when Ali first left I was happy to go and see him twice in concert as I still had respect for him and I didn't really want to take sides - still don't.

However, since astro left and they are trying to perform as UB40, I must be honest and say I have lost a little respect for them and, while I don't want to be judgmental - I wouldn't feel comfortable in going to any of their gigs. I would feel cheated, conned and misled. I couldn't even bring myself to download their new single for free.

Even if their new album is 'the true Sound of UB40', there is something more important than the music - honesty, integrity, loyalty and humility.

It's a real shame the way things have turned out, it's not the legacy that UB40 deserve to leave behind, hope there is a happy ending.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be.

Signing in.

Eloquently put.

Thank you.
Old 2nd March 2014, 11:45 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Eloquently put.

Thank you.
Pleasure. See you at the Institute next month.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:20 AM
UB40 Fan

I wonder what happened to the other album: Sillouhette/Rhythm Method. It was much promoted but as far as I know has'nt materialised.
I feel exactly the same way. I have seen both factions several times since the split, but the theft of the brand is just one step too far.I feel sort of embarassed for Ali, and thats not a good feeling. I feel that he has made himself look petty and silly.
I dont know who is advising Ali, was this a decision he had taken before, or after Astro's departure. Besides being morally wrong, Ali was perfectly fine as 'the legendary voice of'. From where I stood, he was well received by his audience although he always looked slightly 'lost' with Dep. I think if he were to be honest, he would admit that he regrets that decision to leave, and thats more the reason for the continued provocation of his former bandmates. He is a silly lad. He wants to be with UB40, not the name
I just wish, for everybodies sakes, band members and fans, he would stop this. It is negating all the positive things he did with the band, Legal action will only ever benefit the lawyers. Can this not be sorted out through mediation between the managements or even between brothers, its so very sad for you all, and I feel the hurt.
Rosie x