Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 13th December 2013, 01:23 PM
Über UBLoonie

A good album but probably about 3 tracks and 15 minutes too long.

I like the balance of WYFF and GOTS where you have originals and 'covers' with album being no more than 50-55 minutes in length......
Old 13th December 2013, 03:45 PM
UBloonie

I love that album, definitely one of their best. Lost and Found, End of War, Rainbow Nation, Oh America and The Road are absolutely brilliant songs.
Old 13th December 2013, 03:53 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I love that album, definitely one of their best. Lost and Found, End of War, Rainbow Nation, Oh America and The Road are absolutely brilliant songs.
I agree Trish and would also like to add This Is How It Is and Instant Radical Change Of Perception to your fine list.Also agree with Saad though,could have done with two or three tracks knocked off.
Old 13th December 2013, 04:01 PM
UB40 Band Member

That's the thing about reggae, it's so versatile. There are all these different strands. Dancehall, lovers rock, dub, political, folk, urban, heavy, light. And the band try to reflect the fact that we all probably have different preferences by incorporating as many of these Ideas into the music. Most albums have different balances. Some are more dubby, some are song oriented. Some albums are pitched towards love songs, others more political. It can often be down to which members of the band get involved, and which ones take a back seat. This can change from record to record.

24/7, I think, has a more urban feel. With the inclusion of maxie and marvin and the rappers. And the songs are more political in nature. The diversity was a reaction to our singer leaving, and that can make it sound almost like a compilation compared to the ten track mail version. And it's dubby sounding too. With a lot of dark, down-tempo tunes like end of war and rainbow nation.

GOTS is totally different with an emphasis on love songs and, obviously, the country aspects of the music.

If anyone tries to tell you that one strand is more authentic than another is just plain wrong.

Reggae music is a broad church.
Old 13th December 2013, 04:18 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
That's the thing about reggae, it's so versatile. There are all these different strands. Dancehall, lovers rock, dub, political, folk, urban, heavy, light. And the band try to reflect the fact that we all probably have different preferences by incorporating as many of these Ideas into the music. Most albums have different balances. Some are more dubby, some are song oriented. Some albums are pitched towards love songs, others more political. It can often be down to which members of the band get involved, and which ones take a back seat. This can change from record to record.

24/7, I think, has a more urban feel. With the inclusion of maxie and marvin and the rappers. And the songs are more political in nature. The diversity was a reaction to our singer leaving, and that can make it sound almost like a compilation compared to the ten track mail version. And it's dubby sounding too. With a lot of dark, down-tempo tunes like end of war and rainbow nation.

GOTS is totally different with an emphasis on love songs and, obviously, the country aspects of the music.

If anyone tries to tell you that one strand is more authentic than another is just plain wrong.

Exactly JB, it's like Reggae is the city with many towns and villages within it, all having different names and dialects.
Old 13th December 2013, 11:26 PM
UB40 Fan

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

Hi JB, yes there are various types of reggae and I think you guys have done most of them very well - but folk reggae is a new one on me, any examples?

Didn't lovers rock originate in England? If so, would you say that UB were among the first to popularise it?

Signing in
Old 13th December 2013, 11:52 PM
UB40 Band Member

When I say folk I'm thinking more of the subject of the songs. There are plenty of examples of songs that only have relevance to that specific location. Songs that tell stories of local incidents and characters that you would never know about otherwise. Having trouble thinking of examples right now (could be the wacky weed) but I know there are loads. Part of the tradition of passing on stories that aren't written down.

Lovers rock was a British invention. And that's another thing about reggae, it has been adopted by other parts of the world, particularly the pacific. From New Zealand and across Polynesia people have developed there own style of reggae that is different again. Adding there own unique take on the music.

Last edited by JB40; 13th December 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 14th December 2013, 12:04 AM
UB40 Fan

Thinking about it, that's a daft question - UB were among the first to popularise reggae full stop. My love of reggae was instilled listening to signing off, present arms and UB44. Since then I have been listening to many reggae artists like Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Marley, Aswad, Steel Pulse, Frankie Paul, Sandra Cross, Carrol Thompson, Winston Reedy & more.

Thank you for stopping me in my tracks when I was in danger of becoming a 'new romantic' -
If reggae is a broad 'church' - you saved me!

Signing in

Last edited by signing in; 14th December 2013 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Some letters missing
Old 14th December 2013, 12:22 AM
UB40 Fan

Ok know what you mean, it's a form of music that easily lends itself to expressing how strongly we feel about things and it's very often been associated with people's struggles.
There is just something about the reggae beat that is so uplifting and positive, almost everyone and anyone can find themselves tapping away to a reggae tune - that no doubt explains it's worldwide appeal. Can say much more about it but maybe another time

Best wishes.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:34 AM
UBloonie

I have to say that 24/7 is up there with my favourite albums (along with Guns In The Ghetto, Rat In The Kitchen, WYFF, P & L and Signing Off). It is so versatile, numerous styles, conscious lyrics backed up by dark, deep and dubby riddims. All in all a superb album. Had it been released in 83, I believe there would have been 4 or 5 top 20 singles a la LOL1. Lost & Found is one of my favourites, and I remember being underwhelmed hearing it at the Promises & Lies stageshow but the riddims they added afterwards has elevated it to my top 3 UB tunes.