Old 27th June 2014, 12:02 AM
UB40 Fan

Default Man made religion

I'm watching a programme on mormons on ch 4 at the moment.

Man made religion is about mind control by imposing personal opinions of religious leaders and unnatural rules and regulations. True Christianity is about freedom of choice, love, respect, trust and reasonableness.
Old 27th June 2014, 01:05 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by signing in View Post
I'm watching a programme on mormons on ch 4 at the moment.

Man made religion is about mind control by imposing personal opinions of religious leaders and unnatural rules and regulations. True Christianity is about freedom of choice, love, respect, trust and reasonableness.
I totally agree with you. Just like anything else in the world, religion can be a bad thing when it's in the hands of people who use it the wrong way. Just like money can be a bad thing in the wrong hands...sex can be a bad thing if it's used the wrong way (rape, molestation...etc...).....so in the end, religion isn't a bad thing by nature. It's just that some people with twisted minds and ulterior motives get a hold of it and take things way too far.
As you said, true Christianity sets people free from their selfish, hateful, sinful ways and gives them freedom to love and respect others.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 27th June 2014, 03:04 AM
UBloonie

I'm a Mormon. I am a free Christian. I am free to choose whatever lifestyle I want. I choose to follow certain "rules" if you will, to remain in good standing. I enjoy my life choices and find them liberating. And many like me choose the same.

I find it also liberating to follow the laws of the land, and love my neighbor (or is it neighbour).

If what you are referring to is our moral code, I might add that if one is a dissenter, the maximum penalty is excommunication, which for sake of illustration is a far cry from execution.

Big love Brother, you aught to check us out, and see for yourself, from one of us, who the Mormons are. Since TV land never would bend the truth would it?!

You dont have to go and join us, but good solid research might as well include a discussion with one of its own. So? will you?

Aaron A.

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 27th June 2014, 04:27 AM
UBloonie

Aaron, I would love to learn about the Mormon faith. I've heard things on TV and heard people say certain things about Mormons, but it's not the same as talking to someone who is ACTUALLY Mormon. So I would enjoy having a discussion with you about it, to see exactly what the Mormon beliefs are.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 27th June 2014, 04:29 AM
UBloonie

By the way, my comments on man-made religion weren't aimed at Mormons. It was just aimed at all people who take the word of God and twist it around for their own personal gain, while they destroy the lives of others. Sadly, there's people like that in every single faith, even atheists have their bad apples.

Old 27th June 2014, 05:41 AM
UBloonie

Good point GM, there are bad apples in every single facet, religious or otherwise, in our society. And, sorry if you felt that my comments were aimed at you; they were not. They are aimed at the mis-informers who make/produce ˝ truths and twisted lies, as is the notion of a tv program as titled above as sited from "Signing In" and points at Mormons as its case subject.

And also, I would say a sincere thanks to you for also pointing out that it's not the same as talking to someone who is ACTUALLY from a certain faith, and I do believe that that goes for ALL faiths or what-have-you. That is really what I was trying to say, as a general principle which can be broadly applied to many cases and circumstances.

Out of respect for the BB and its readers, I will not, however, use their forum to promote my faith, much to the boredom of many apathetic readers. I will be happy to address, as best I can, any inquiries though my PM, or facebook pm. www.facebook.com/ubloonie

AA

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 27th June 2014, 06:11 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
Good point GM, there are bad apples in every single facet, religious or otherwise, in our society. And, sorry if you felt that my comments were aimed at you; they were not. They are aimed at the mis-informers who make/produce ˝ truths and twisted lies, as is the notion of a tv program as titled above as sited from "Signing In" and points at Mormons as its case subject.

And also, I would say a sincere thanks to you for also pointing out that it's not the same as talking to someone who is ACTUALLY from a certain faith, and I do believe that that goes for ALL faiths or what-have-you. That is really what I was trying to say, as a general principle which can be broadly applied to many cases and circumstances.

Out of respect for the BB and its readers, I will not, however, use their forum to promote my faith, much to the boredom of many apathetic readers. I will be happy to address, as best I can, any inquiries though my PM, or facebook pm. www.facebook.com/ubloonie

AA
Will be glad to talk with you, my friend. I admire you for not wanting to use this forum to speak about your faith, but at the same time I must say that others espouse their beliefs on here and so do I. So don't feel pressured to leave it off here. If someone doesn't like what I or you or anyone else has to say, they don't have to read it lol.

Old 27th June 2014, 01:40 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
I'm a Mormon. I am a free Christian. I am free to choose whatever lifestyle I want. I choose to follow certain "rules" if you will, to remain in good standing. I enjoy my life choices and find them liberating. And many like me choose the same.

I find it also liberating to follow the laws of the land, and love my neighbor (or is it neighbour).

If what you are referring to is our moral code, I might add that if one is a dissenter, the maximum penalty is excommunication, which for sake of illustration is a far cry from execution.

Big love Brother, you aught to check us out, and see for yourself, from one of us, who the Mormons are. Since TV land never would bend the truth would it?!

You dont have to go and join us, but good solid research might as well include a discussion with one of its own. So? will you?

Aaron A.
Hi Aaron, thanks for your response.

I have had a number of discussions with mormons, and I do respect and admire the commitment of the missionaries, and I agree with your moral code based on scripture.

My comment about man made rules apply to any religion that has a human leader whose authority supersedes that of the bible. In such cases, it is often the personal interpretations and opinions of one person that dictate the conscience of others. I believe Christianity should be based purely on the teachings of Jesus, as he himself said at Matthew 23:9-10 "do not call anyone your father on earth....neither be called leaders, for you leader is one, the christ".

I apologise if I have allowed the media to give me a wrong impression, you can correct me if so. I'll PM you when I get a chance.
Old 27th June 2014, 04:20 PM
UB40 Band Member

religious or not, we can still have a sense of humour. . . . .

Old 28th June 2014, 12:04 AM
UBloonie

JB