Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 14th December 2013, 12:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to UBLutwyche Send a message via Yahoo to UBLutwyche

Always loved the album, I think it's probably one of the best albums production-wise and musically. Once Around has to be one of the best riddims they've done - great one drop, wicked bass riff, haunting melody, spot on vocals.

Rainbow Nation, Slow Down, The Road, I'll Be There - all great tunes.

Old 15th December 2013, 09:32 PM
UBloonie

I love this album, one of the greatest UB40 have done in my humble opinion. Quite regularly fire it up in the car on the way to work
Old 15th December 2013, 09:56 PM
Über UBLoonie

Thanks to this post I listened to the whole album through again. It definitely sounds better than the last time I heard it!

The main thing is that all the vocals sound really 'clean'. Not really sure how else to describe it. I think these were some of the best vocals Ali had done in recent times. I seem to remember Jimmy saying that at this point he was dead set on leaving and focusing on his solo stuff? So he just came in, recorded what he needed and left?

Also, wasn't one of the tracks (I'll Be Back?) initially recorded for WYFF?
Old 15th December 2013, 10:19 PM
UB40 Band Member

Sharp as a surgeons scalpel as usual anant.

And dead right on all counts.

Ali did a great job on vocals for 24/7.

What was unusual was the fact that he wasn't more involved in the recording. Normally he would spend more time in the control room, even when he wasn't recording himself. As most of us do. We don't just do our part and go home. Thousands of decisions have to be made. Which take is best, how the arrangement works with the song, volume levels, how much and what kind of EQ to use, effects, echo's etc. if your not there to contribute then someone else will make the decisions. Understandably he wanted to make those decisions for his own album that he was recording at the same time.

This worked to the bands advantage. Ali had been quite a negative presence in the studio, particularly in the last decade or so. Down on everything but rarely offering any alternative.

Without that negativity hanging over us we could concentrate on the production. Adding other vocalists to the mix and keeping the arrangements more dub orientated. We had the freedom to move away from pop reggae sound of LOL to something a bit more dark and political. And the first dub sessions is a nice companion piece.

And the astro song goes way back to LOL3. Which happens to illustrate the fact that for a long time astro hadn't really contributed very much. We wanted to bring him more into the limelight when Ali left, but there was a definite shortage of new material.
Old 15th December 2013, 10:55 PM
Über UBLoonie

Thanks for the reply buddy.

I must admit that I had never really bothered with dub sessions. But the other day I decided to start listening to Sly and Robbie again, and this led me to start listening to Dub Sessions and I really like it. I never used to like it but perhaps time has changed me. As you say, the general mood of 24/7 really is great for Dub Sessions.

Looking forward to catching up with you at Sheperd's Bush in April. Last time we didn't get much time to chat, so next gig we need to allocate more time for a full consultation so that I can diagnose your ailments.
Old 15th December 2013, 11:07 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Gotta say the dub session projects are in my most played at the moment.
Hopes we get another soon

oLdbOi...
Old 16th December 2013, 04:57 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

I remember having Dub Sessions for a while before 24/7 was released and I loved it but I remember thinking how different it sounded compared to UB's recent material. I really wanted to hear what it would sound like with the vocals. I agree with the above comment that it's probably the best Ali had sounded in some time. It's a real modern reggae sound. I think it could also be why some fans have struggled with GOTS because they are worlds apart in my opinion. Personally I would have preferred another 24/7 type album following LOL4 but that's only because I love that type of reggae. Dark and dubby.
Old 16th December 2013, 07:14 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

What was unusual was the fact that he wasn't more involved in the recording. Normally he would spend more time in the control room, even when he wasn't recording himself. As most of us do. We don't just do our part and go home. Thousands of decisions have to be made. Which take is best, how the arrangement works with the song, volume levels, how much and what kind of EQ to use, effects, echo's etc. if your not there to contribute then someone else will make the decisions. Understandably he wanted to make those decisions for his own album that he was recording at the same time.

This worked to the bands advantage. Ali had been quite a negative presence in the studio, particularly in the last decade or so. Down on everything but rarely offering any alternative.

Without that negativity hanging over us we could concentrate on the production. Adding other vocalists to the mix and keeping the arrangements more dub orientated. We had the freedom to move away from pop reggae sound of LOL to something a bit more dark and political. And the first dub sessions is a nice companion piece.

And the astro song goes way back to LOL3. Which happens to illustrate the fact that for a long time astro hadn't really contributed very much. We wanted to bring him more into the limelight when Ali left, but there was a definite shortage of new material.

Have to agree it was amongst his best vocal performances.........
Old 18th December 2013, 10:32 AM
UBloonie

I love 24/7
Rainbow nation one of the best songs ever...
And the lyrics! End of war, gave me goosebumps...

I'm gonna put it on...now!!!
Old 19th December 2013, 12:12 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

next album nice and dubby like 24/7 please

and which astro song?