Über UBLoonie

has nobody pmed neonhaze and cwob?
love
chris xxx
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:08 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt/ub40 View Post
don't rush, take your time and do it the best you can, its not a race.
Totally agree! Much better if this is a long-term effort .... you don't want to burn out too quick guys!

Great news about the article and interview though

www.trudiemunnart.co.uk

"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:13 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by caja View Post
has nobody pmed neonhaze and cwob?
love
chris xxx
Neonhaze is on line now Chris, why don't you PM them?

lovejx

Last edited by j59; 3rd March 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:25 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt/ub40 View Post
I can hear what you are saying...its not easy raising money for charities, before you even start raising funds it takes a great deal of effort behind the scenes, what at first can appear a simple task has many obstacles. I have to say though, well done guys...its wonderful that you have decided to do something but don't rush, take your time and do it the best you can, its not a race..and every penny, every donation no matter how small will count and make a difference..Ive been told The Birmingham Evening mail have run an article about it in todays paper, we didn't do an interview they simply heard about you guys, researched here on the BB and went with it..then they called and I did a follow up interview this afternoon for tomorrow's edition I believe..
From Lilians post below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HE’S the tiny tot from Africa with an indelible link to Birmingham supergroup UB40.

For baby Ubi was named after the hit city band when members Brian Travers and Norman Hassan were moved to tears by their trip to the orphanage where he lives.

The pair were introduced to the four-month-old, who has HIV and a hole-in-the-heart, before a trio of fundraising gigs in the Namibian capital, Windhoeck, last week.

Ubi was adopted by the Hope Village orphanage when he was just a day old and captured the hearts of the band members, who were in Africa for a series of shows to support the base, which was established in 2004 and is home to 82 children.

Saxophone player Travers said he wept after meeting the orphanage’s founder, Marietjie de Klerk, and some of the children.
UB40's Brian Travers with some of the children from Hope Village
UB40's Brian Travers with some of the children from Hope Village

“The orphanage staff want to give children a home and not just a place to live so that made us agree to do the shows,” he said.

“It was an emotional experience but also very life-affirming. I met some incredible people whose only mission in life is to care for the orphans.”

Travers said he would be returning to Namibia to encourage the children he met to become involved in music.

He said: “Who knows what will happen?

“But we want to plant the seed of music and self expression and belief in their heads so it can grow into something they can use to express themselves as they grow.”

UB40 fans have also pledged to aid Hope Village and are planning a series of fund-raising ideas and sponsored events.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

love jx
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:26 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Ok, here is my two cents!!! I have done a lot of charitable work and still sit on the board of two charities, so let me give you some input. First, the best way to help is to send money, if you ask a charity what they need and they say money, end of, send money. While each and every one of us wants to contribute, you have to find a way to do it that makes the most econmical sense. For example, don't ask for specific sizes for the children, not only does that bog down Marjite, but for what it would cost you to purchase one pair of shoes and then mail them to Namibia, Marjite probably has nonprofit connections that would allow her to spend your donation in a way that would enable her to buy 5 pairs of shoes.

Don't do anything or ask for anything that would put your charity in a position of having to spend money to make money!!! If you look at their website, there is already a mechanism in place to accept donations. USE that one. Figure out what efforts you want to make in fundraising, set up a commitee or determine a person that you would want in charge of handling the monies and then they can use the direct donate tab on the website.

Don't overload Marjite, while each and everyone of us has GREAT intentions for helping them, there is a fine line between help and hinder. Again, have only ONE person communicating with her so that she can do what she does best, care for all of those babies.
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:29 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
Ok, here is my two cents!!! I have done a lot of charitable work and still sit on the board of two charities, so let me give you some input. First, the best way to help is to send money, if you ask a charity what they need and they say money, end of, send money. While each and every one of us wants to contribute, you have to find a way to do it that makes the most econmical sense. For example, don't ask for specific sizes for the children, not only does that bog down Marjite, but for what it would cost you to purchase one pair of shoes and then mail them to Namibia, Marjite probably has nonprofit connections that would allow her to spend your donation in a way that would enable her to buy 5 pairs of shoes.

Don't do anything or ask for anything that would put your charity in a position of having to spend money to make money!!! If you look at their website, there is already a mechanism in place to accept donations. USE that one. Figure out what efforts you want to make in fundraising, set up a commitee or determine a person that you would want in charge of handling the monies and then they can use the direct donate tab on the website.

Don't overload Marjite, while each and everyone of us has GREAT intentions for helping them, there is a fine line between help and hinder. Again, have only ONE person communicating with her so that she can do what she does best, care for all of those babies.
Good advice Fi.

love jx
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:31 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post

WHAT SHE SAID..... cheers Fi...GREAT ADVICE...

VIEW ALL UBTV CLIPS via link below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInsideEye?feature=mhum
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:46 PM
Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Dutchess

First of: great advice Fi and very helpful ty xxx

Second: havent been online for a bit but kinda following things on here via blackberry and thanks so much for those contributing with ideas etc.

Im assigned being the contactperson between the loonies and Marietjie, so dont worry we are not bombarding her with emails filled with questions etc. I do run things by her when needed and I do keep her updated on what we are doing,as she asked me to.If you have questions, email/pm/text/tweet me,NOT Marietjie. Thank you.

The most important thing Hope Village needs right now is MONEY..as Fi said, thats what Marietjie asked for so I think our goal must be raising a lot of it. How we do it is another thing (fundraisers, auctions,chatathons etc) but not something we need to burden Marietjie with. That lovely lady has enough to do as it is Ofcourse we will keep everyone here posted on what we are doing ,and what has been accomplished.

Good to see we made the Birmingham Evening Mail tho!
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:53 PM
UBloonie

Wouldn't the loonie fanfest be a good time to do some fundraising? Auctions and things could be held ... Get a few drinks in people they'll dig deeper in their pockets

www.trudiemunnart.co.uk

"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:56 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallytruly View Post
Wouldn't the loonie fanfest be a good time to do some fundraising? Auctions and things could be held ... Get a few drinks in people they'll dig deeper in their pockets
yes Trudledoodle, alcohol should always be part of the equation when fundraising!!!