Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 4th March 2011, 12:42 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaker View Post
bottle drive, or just return all the empties and make a partial/full donation....all adds up, especially at my house for some reason.....Mrs. K is what comes to mind immediately....

VIEW ALL UBTV CLIPS via link below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInsideEye?feature=mhum
Old 5th March 2011, 06:34 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via Skype™ to nani

Sorry for being away for a couple of days and am just catching up on emails and posts, especially on this thread.

I kinda had a prepared post but it's far too gobby so the gist of it is...

We asked Marietjie what she wants most and we were told it's money.

Fi brought that up in her post and another thing was that money buys more in their country than it does in our own. I work with an orphanage and used to take gifts, clothes, school supplies, health products and little bit of money. I worked out that with the exchange rate being at 7:1 in their favour plus cartage costs, I could buy in their country and give them even more money. Then I worked out that if I cut back on 'volunteer tourism' I could send back my plane fare as well.

Trudie brought up another point about the costs of setting up a donation service through eg justgiving so now we either cover the costs or we move to another idea; never do we pass on costs to Marietjie.

There's a lot of ideas going on (I'm also working on something, more about that later). All of them can work! It just takes organising and that's why we need everyone on board.

Please read back through previous posts because we have experience amongst us. We need to utilise that experience and use our time wisely.

Bernie is gathering sponsors for auctions and care packages.

Nens will be handling all emails to Hope Village on behalf of our fundraising. We ask that you go through Nens because Marietjie is incredibly busy but will take time to reply to every single email so let's not flood her please.

LyricOfficer is sorting our facebook page.

Michelle has offered to help with chatathon.

Me, well I was nominated to organise. Ok here's the go. I live in Australia. I'm always a day behind on the news even if I check BB every day. Personally I wouldn't have voted for me because I'm not around enough (when you're all online, I'm asleep) and I can't be as effective as I should be. I'm happy to do it but if you can find someone in the UK, you'd be getting better service than from me.

At the moment, I've got a friend in sales who is helping me. I'm going to approach some companies with head offices in Perth and Namibia. More on that when it's ready to go x

Last edited by nani; 5th March 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:22 PM
UBloonie

Hiya Nani,
Great work thus far but it's going to take a point person definitely...agreed. I think the best thing to do ASAP is the bank account or transfer account. That way, at least there's a medium to donate something and the sooner the better. Haven't checked the BB for a couple of days so I might have missed something that's maybe already underway.
My sis is in London and with her background with kids and Africa I know would take an interest in assisting. Lemme know though before I jump ahead....don't want to undo or duplicate all the work going on.
Right, off to take the empties back....
P
Old 6th March 2011, 07:41 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Hiya Nani,
Great work thus far but it's going to take a point person definitely...agreed. I think the best thing to do ASAP is the bank account or transfer account. That way, at least there's a medium to donate something and the sooner the better. Haven't checked the BB for a couple of days so I might have missed something that's maybe already underway.
My sis is in London and with her background with kids and Africa I know would take an interest in assisting. Lemme know though before I jump ahead....don't want to undo or duplicate all the work going on.
Right, off to take the empties back....
P
I love the idea of empties x

If your sister can help, that'd be great. Even if it's a few ideas to steer us in the right direction.
Old 6th March 2011, 07:43 PM
UBloonie

Our M is doing something really special very soon. It's so selfless of M x
Old 6th March 2011, 08:21 PM
Super άber UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
Our M is doing something really special very soon. It's so selfless of M x
Shhhhhh
Old 6th March 2011, 09:19 PM
UBloonie

Hi All

This is an excellent way to show our support for the Hope Villiage. Unfortunately I have very little time to assist in any sort of fundraising but I am eager to contribute via sponsorship and sending out care packages. I know its not much but as Tescos slogan suggests, every little helps.
Old 6th March 2011, 09:32 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post
Shhhhhh
Do tell M, soon as you can. Raised a few bucks yesterday (son helped I might add) so we'll hold onto it 'til we hear.

Had another idea that I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning but:

EBay (or similar) on-line auctions for stuff you don't need. Proceeds (some or all) towards HOPE. Just be careful if you go down this road on shipping to sellers 'cause it can burn up the profits. Alternatively, have the purchaser pay for shipping. All transactions can be set up through PayPal so it's all secure.

PayPal...not sure if it's been looked at as a funds transfer medium but maybe there's an account set up for CLUB HOPE or something that we can deposit to??....
P

Last edited by kmaker; 6th March 2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: spelling again....
Old 7th March 2011, 09:39 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Do tell M, soon as you can. Raised a few bucks yesterday (son helped I might add) so we'll hold onto it 'til we hear.

Had another idea that I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning but:

EBay (or similar) on-line auctions for stuff you don't need. Proceeds (some or all) towards HOPE. Just be careful if you go down this road on shipping to sellers 'cause it can burn up the profits. Alternatively, have the purchaser pay for shipping. All transactions can be set up through PayPal so it's all secure.

PayPal...not sure if it's been looked at as a funds transfer medium but maybe there's an account set up for CLUB HOPE or something that we can deposit to??....
P
i'm liking the ebay idea

something which for those with little time to spare can do

i've gathered a few bits together this evening and will be putting them on ebay this weekend
Old 8th March 2011, 12:51 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenv View Post
Hi All

This is an excellent way to show our support for the Hope Villiage. Unfortunately I have very little time to assist in any sort of fundraising but I am eager to contribute via sponsorship and sending out care packages. I know its not much but as Tescos slogan suggests, every little helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahLooksBetterInTheDark View Post
i'm liking the ebay idea

something which for those with little time to spare can do

i've gathered a few bits together this evening and will be putting them on ebay this weekend

Thank you, P x I sent a PM last night.

Lean and Queenv, thanks for your support. Every thing we do, adds up x