Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 6th May 2015, 04:01 PM
Über UBLoonie

Default Racism .... what dors it cover?

So I seemed to come across something yesterday ...hear me out ...it's a feeling , which I tried to put a name to ....

We walked into our hotel yesterday afternoon ....and I just felt it ... I just knew from the way she looked and threw the booking at me , which was in my name ...we were the only ones there ...but were given a tiny room up 3 flights of creaky steps away at the back of the hotel (bearing on mind that our friend had been there the day before) .....
I let it go but just knew .....

Then we went out shopping and the older lady said to me "is it too cold for you in this country ? " I laughed and said " I only come from a few miles down the road" .The pharmacist next to her looked like he,was going to die , so chatted to me ....I am sure it was meant kindly , I think ....

We walked back to the hotel, and picked up our key ( which we had to leave in reception) and again I just picked up that horrible feeling ....

Came back ecstatic ...again though I said swallow it when she said everything alright....no I wanted to say , everything is not alright

This morning I tried to pay and she threw a receipt at me , we left in the rain and my heart just got so heavy ...i said i have not had this feeling or been treated with such contempt since 80s Hungary. I said Racism..... near the train station the Mobile went and in a sarcastic tone she told me I had left without paying and my card was not working ....I was so taken aback , I burst into tears , went into an alleyway and again gave her my card details ...she kept calling me "mrs ... " and I said "I would never leave without paying"
I got on the train shaking with anger and crying ... I phoned back and she apologised only after l said I was "Title" and when I pointed out that I had a receipt which SHE should not have given me if I had not paid ...and that I was going to complain.....

So here is the thing though...
I know instinctively that she acted based on my name firstly if not my colour ...

Last edited by nephertiti; 6th May 2015 at 10:56 PM. Reason: ...........I have a PC and can actually see what I have written...
Old 6th May 2015, 04:35 PM
Über UBLoonie

Should I have asked earlier why we were up and down 3 flights of stairs at a damp room in the very back ...when the hotel wad nearly empty ..

Is this racism ...or simply nastiness ... If someone I know had not stayed the night before and said she had a fab room..and

How can we define this ....and if it is simply a basic need to feel better than someone , it is the very people who feel this need who will perpetuate this ....my reaction was to drag a title , I am ashamed to say ....

Juliet "jaye" once put up a saying on facebook which said something along the lines of dont take my politeness for unawareness or being a mug ...it is true ...

But here it is ....is this racism? I am glad to live in this country which has a legal name for it , but this is something I just cant put my finger on ...it was a feeling as soon as we walked in ....shoukd I have nipped it in the bud by being nasty back ...

The reason I phoned back was because she said she knew my address and,was going to send me another receipt with a compliment slip...the thought of having anything in her handwriting polluting my house unnerved me ....

Not that I am a drama queen or anything ......����
Old 6th May 2015, 08:20 PM
UBloonie

Neph.
Some people are ignorant... no matter which country you are in.
Double check the bank card you used and make sure you only paid once!!!
I do not think blighty is a racist country because of colour of skin. Its racist because everyone thinks all foreigners ( non british) are here for a free ride at the tax payers expense.
pity they dont comprehend its the brits who are getting the free ride!

I dont think you are a drama queen.... as youve said your a Dr lol

Ani
Old 6th May 2015, 11:04 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiMALicious View Post
Neph.
Some people are ignorant... no matter which country you are in.
Double check the bank card you used and make sure you only paid once!!!
I do not think blighty is a racist country because of colour of skin. Its racist because everyone thinks all foreigners ( non british) are here for a free ride at the tax payers expense.
pity they dont comprehend its the brits who are getting the free ride!

I dont think you are a drama queen.... as youve said your a Title lol

Ani
Thank Ani - however it made me as bad as the lady as she felt she the need and shamefully so did I ....however ...in a way I was regurgitating the bad Karma by joining in
Point about the bank card is she told me it was not working ....but she had never tried ....she just took it upon herself to assume .....
and the other thing is ....I am British ......
I could have made that title up , but fact is no one calls me Mrs ...and if they did they would not use my second name ....

Ach well Ani ...the world goes round ....just can be made an unnecessarily a more difficult place by some ...... x x
Old 7th May 2015, 01:56 PM
UB40 Fan

Thats awful, but its everywhere and it is not colour or name necessarily, people I know are abused here in Scotland because they were born south of Berwick upon Tweed.

Can you shame them or at least put a really bad review on Trip Advisor or is that sinking to their level??
Old 7th May 2015, 03:38 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
Should I have asked earlier why we were up and down 3 flights of stairs at a damp room in the very back ...when the hotel wad nearly empty ..

Is this racism ...or simply nastiness ... If someone I know had not stayed the night before and said she had a fab room..and

How can we define this ....and if it is simply a basic need to feel better than someone , it is the very people who feel this need who will perpetuate this ....my reaction was to drag a title , I am ashamed to say ....

Juliet "jaye" once put up a saying on facebook which said something along the lines of dont take my politeness for unawareness or being a mug ...it is true ...

But here it is ....is this racism? I am glad to live in this country which has a legal name for it , but this is something I just cant put my finger on ...it was a feeling as soon as we walked in ....shoukd I have nipped it in the bud by being nasty back ...

The reason I phoned back was because she said she knew my address and,was going to send me another receipt with a compliment slip...the thought of having anything in her handwriting polluting my house unnerved me ....

Not that I am a drama queen or anything ......����

You should have told her you were less German than the Queen and less Greek than the Duke of Edinburgh [go figure ]

On a serious point you should find out who the owners are (if she was one of them) and also consider complaining to the local licensing authority so it never happens to anyone else!

Or did she think you were in a Civil Partnership!!!
Old 7th May 2015, 10:51 PM
Über UBLoonie

Yes fan and Saad thank you .... My best friend who is,a bar manager did not want me to let it go , phoned up while I made idiotic faces ... The main thrust tho was telling me card was wrong and giving me a receipt .... result : I was to phone to get a full apology & a refund , but I feel that I just don't want that bad energy ....
I dont want a refund
She now thinks that I will complain higher ...so her day has been worse than mine
I think she will think twice next time before treating the next "unsuitable" person who walks in
But yes ....not a good review on the website ....the slow pen being better than the speedy tongue in my case ....