Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 30th March 2014, 02:40 PM
Über UBLoonie

Default Dublin and Belfast Part 1

Here goes.
Unfortunately I couldn't make the Thursday gig in Dublin so had to settle for Friday in Dublin and Saturday in Belfast. Tom and I set off earlyish on Friday afternoon and after getting lost (not for the first time) we eventually found ourselves at chez Shaz (and Tik) where we all hugged and kissed like long lost relatives . Shaz was an excellent directioner and we all found ourselves at the Gin Palace with the rest of the loonies Tan, Caroline, Gerrio and Niall. After a few glasses of juice we left for the short walk to The Academy. I'd seen a clip of footage of the rehearsals and heard a few snippets of conversation about what was in the set and I was feeling really nervous and excited, thinking how are the boys going to pull this off? Tan and the tarts had their place at the front and we all managed to squeeze in too!!!

The place started to fill up and the atmosphere was building. Eventually the lights dimmed and the bold Jimmy made his appearance. What a lovely sight. I was never as glad to see him!!! Lol. The rest of the boys casually made their way on stage to cheers and whistles and the atmosphere was electric.

Then OMG OMG the opening track was out of this world. Most of you probably already know what it is. It was unbelievable. The energy on stage and Duncan's brilliant vocals - I was blown away. It was the perfect opener. Just perfect.

The whole set was fabulous. A mixture of very old and very new. Some we have not heard for a very long time and some we have never heard before. The guys looked like they were having a ball. All very relaxed. All confident and all happy. Shaz and I even witnessed some funny antics from Jimmy A wave or two from Brian and Robin and a mention for Gerrio and Tan. Early B had his moment. He was incredible. Expect the unexpected. The set finished off with the usual crowd pleaser and the place was rocking. Honestly, and I mean this most sincerely, this was the only time that I remembered there was no Astro. The crowd didn't seem to mind and as the boys finished up there was cheering for more.

They came back on for the encore and I knew what was coming next, Love is All. I have never heard anything more beautifully sung. The harmonies were outstanding. Velvet, chocolately voices. Heaven, pure heaven. This song has some meaning for me and I was overcome with emotion. That sounds a bit dramatic but I couldn't help it. Incredible. Thank you thank you so much guys for putting it in the set. I hope I get the chance to hear it live many more times.

Another few songs finished off the set. The audience singing their hearts out. The loonies were getting ready to make a quick exit as we heard from good authority (Shaz) that the brass section of UB40 were making a guest appearance at a bar around the corner, playing with a tribute band called Promises n Lies.
AND THEY DID!!! How brilliant they are for doing that. I managed to pester Brian Martin and Lawrence into having a few pics. Thanks guys. And thanks for the wristband Martin x

We spent the next few hours dancing our socks off to more UB40 hits. Having some alcoholic beverages and generally laughing our asses off. The perfect end to the perfect evening. The tarts had an early start the next day so they left for their hotel. We said goodbye to Niall. Tom recovered the car and we collected Tan from the hotel, dropped the lunatics back home lol. We got our directions from the directioner and a tired Tom drove us back to Belfast, where we dropped Tan at her hotel seeing the tour bus as we arrived. I crawled into bed tired but very happy, knowing I would be doing it all again. It was loving seeing these wonderful people again. They are the best.

Please guys do not miss this tour. If you get the chance to go please take it.
You are in for such a treat. You will love it.

Part 2 Belfast will follow at a later time

C
We won`t run and we won`t hide
Old 30th March 2014, 02:50 PM
Über UBLoonie

Brilliant review Carolanne
Old 30th March 2014, 02:58 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Not too much later I hope C! You've right fired me up for next Friday
Old 30th March 2014, 03:47 PM
UBloonie

Great read Great review & nailed it i feel at ease that someone else experienced the same magical emotion i felt from a UB40 gig ..........................
Old 30th March 2014, 04:10 PM
UBloonie

What a fantastic read, great review.
Oooh cant wait for Brum gigs x
Old 30th March 2014, 07:15 PM
Über UBLoonie

Thanks guys. I'll write part two when I have recovered

C
We won`t run and we won`t hide
Old 30th March 2014, 07:35 PM
UBloonie

Great, great review Carolanne!
Cannot wait for part 2!
Cheers,
Bagga......
Old 30th March 2014, 08:51 PM
Super Über UBloonie

What a read!!! Typical of the brass boys to play with P&L after their own gig.Thanks Carolanne,really enjoyed that.
Old 30th March 2014, 09:01 PM
UBloonie

Brilliant review, thanks for sharing
Old 30th March 2014, 09:04 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Lovely read Carolanne. Making me all excited for Glasgow tomorrow. Hurry with part II