Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 23rd June 2013, 01:32 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Aaronub4t (Aaron)
Default JB - Lead Single Release ??

Hi,

just read your last comment with you saying you don't think Blue Billet Doux would be strong single material ?, i have to disagree with you there as i think it would be a first brilliant single (in my opinion), so my question is, in your opinion which song would you see as the first potential lead single from the album ?,

Aaron.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:41 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Think BT said Blue Eyes is going to be the single.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:44 PM
UB40 Fan

Awww,

I hope not, as much as i like the song i don't think it's single material, and it's another cover which people will only complain about again saying they only record and release covers,

Aaron.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:45 PM
UB40 Band Member

To be honest Aaron, I gave up trying to choose singles years ago. Sometimes our singles are hits, sometimes they aren't, and I'm not sure what the difference is. It might have nothing to do with the song, it could about what time of year you release, or who else is releasing at the time, or whether the record company is fully behind it. There are so many variables that effect the final outcome that the quality of a song doesn't dictate it's own destiny.

Anyway, trying to predict public taste is a minefield. Not even mystic meg can see into the future.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:46 PM
UB40 Fan

You must have your own favourites on the album though Jim ??
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:52 PM
UB40 Band Member

Yes aaron. But my favorites turn out to be the ones least likely to be chosen as singles. personal taste doesn't seem to be part of the 'science' of choosing singles. So I tend to duck the responsibility these days. Probably the best way to choose would be to ask family, friends, music bizz types etc to see if one track sticks out.
Old 23rd June 2013, 01:57 PM
Super Über UBloonie

After reading the FB comments over the CD snippets.
put the billy who no mates song up, just to see the reaction.
Some songs are shocking people.

I wouldn't use blue eyes as a single it's old now, how many ignored it and went straight to billy blue.
Old 23rd June 2013, 10:50 PM
UBloonie

All you need to do is get a song on itunes asap, whatever the band feel is the strongest, and on the same day put it up on youtube. in the days of the internet what is the point of waiting? as soon as something is finished you might as while strike whilst the iron is hot, everything is about viral marketing these days. Look at the pet shop boys, quarter of a million views on youtube for the latest video in just 3 days!
Old 24th June 2013, 12:19 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
All you need to do is get a song on itunes asap, whatever the band feel is the strongest, and on the same day put it up on youtube. in the days of the internet what is the point of waiting? as soon as something is finished you might as while strike whilst the iron is hot, everything is about viral marketing these days. Look at the pet shop boys, quarter of a million views on youtube for the latest video in just 3 days!
Must be so difficult as JB said to choose whic one is going to be a single ...all must depend on general ambiance of the time it is released
So have heard the Blue Billet on the delectable BT interview ...it is very atmospheric , I have just heard the scrumptious bit of "just what's
killing me" which WORKS on facebook....I can't wait for the album
.....being the technodope and with a variety of broken virused PCs ..I have not yet learned to download music ...in fact hardly get YOU-tube now ...so there must be a load of people out there who by default who will be waiting for the CD to come out .....
Old 24th June 2013, 05:43 PM
UBloonie

The fourth cut on the third side is definately the single, trust me JB, I would never steer you wrong. Mark my words and if you take my advice the boys will be flying high again.

Stevie (the predictor) 2fingerz