Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 13th January 2012, 02:15 PM
UBloonie

Default Martin Luther King Jr.

Next Monday we are celebrating MLK day. I found an appropriate quote that I would like to share.

"Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."

Martin Luther King Jr.

Just a thought
Stevie 2fingerz
Old 13th January 2012, 06:04 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven creamer View Post
Next Monday we are celebrating MLK day. I found an appropriate quote that I would like to share.

"Have we not come to such an impasse in the modern world that we must love our enemies or else? The chain reaction of evil - hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars - must be broken, or else we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation."

Martin Luther King Jr.

Just a thought
Stevie 2fingerz
He was right - hate and anger are ultimately non productive and hindering...but the idea of loving enemies needs to be placed in the right context. King believed in loving enemies though he was also prepared to speak out and confront the hypocrisy of those in positions of power.

Too often, certain new age gurus and religious beliefs don't wish to address the people and organisations causing all the chaos in the world. Are Maggie Thatcher or Botha to be loved for what they did? They teach that some abstract 'love is the answer' solves everything. But to coin a phrase, you can love a lion but it'll still bite you.
Old 13th January 2012, 07:06 PM
UB40 Band Member

I,m with you on this one Imani.

I often get accused of being a pacifist, because of my objections to the way some countries use military power to invade other country to secure future resources like oil and precious minerals etc. But sometimes people have to turn to violence to protect themselves.

I fully supported the ANC in their war against the (Tory backed) apartheid government. And the sandanista rebels in their fight against the (US backed) contras.
Old 14th January 2012, 12:54 PM
UBloonie

Its a tough one, i class myself as a peace loving pacifist 9 times out of 10. But if the worse came to the worst and I was being personally threatened with violence then I would use it back at the very last resort.

Words are my fists usually and I will try and use those first.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:02 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I,m with you on this one Imani.

I often get accused of being a pacifist, because of my objections to the way some countries use military power to invade other country to secure future resources like oil and precious minerals etc. But sometimes people have to turn to violence to protect themselves.

I fully supported the ANC in their war against the (Tory backed) apartheid government. And the sandanista rebels in their fight against the (US backed) contras.
I agree Jimmy.

'Love' often means rocking the boat and challenging the status quo. King was an example of that.
Old 14th January 2012, 03:07 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrClaypole View Post
Its a tough one, i class myself as a peace loving pacifist 9 times out of 10. But if the worse came to the worst and I was being personally threatened with violence then I would use it back at the very last resort.

Words are my fists usually and I will try and use those first.
I'm the same...

It's a noble thing to be able to love one's enemies but what about those people who've been the victims of injustices? That must be a horrible place to be and I reckon most would want revenge.