Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 19th February 2011, 12:16 PM
UBloonie

Default BT - Mouthpiece & reeds??

Hi Brian, was just wondering what mouthpiece & reeds do you use?
Do you use a different type when playing the Alto to the Tenor?
Are the metal ones significantly better than the plastic?

Cheers Brian

Sid
Old 19th February 2011, 02:28 PM
UB40 Band Member

Big Question...i use Ebonite and metal, different mouthpieces with a different 'lay' thats the bit under the reed and how much it slopes...different reeds, size and make for each horn, every horn is unique to the player and their embrochure (lip technique) different ligatures (the bit that holds the reed onto the mouthpiece..very important) metal is'nt better than plastic/ebonite..a bit louder maybe...but not significantly...its a very personal thing buying a mouthpiece then you spend years making them sound as best you can...

VIEW ALL UBTV CLIPS via link below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInsideEye?feature=mhum
Old 20th February 2011, 09:36 PM
UBloonie

Cheers Brian, thanks for the reply matey
Old 21st February 2011, 12:13 AM
UBloonie

Go sit in the music shop and try everything they have with lots of different reeds. Whatever sounds good for you, buy it!

I use different ones for each sax too. And I have a metal and ebonite one for alto and tenor. If I'm doing a more acoustic gig I use ebonite, lovely warm sound, If I have to blast over the top of a rock band the metal one comes out, though I find it harder to play. It's all very individual.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:50 AM
UBloonie

Cheers for that guys, was wondering also about reeds, I've been using a
1 & a 1/2 strength to start with, what difference do the various strengths make other than their stiffness of course?

I felt daft asking in a music shop cos I didn't think they'd like you trying loads of their different mouthpieces/reeds etc out due to hygene.
Bit like trying pants on!!
Old 8th March 2011, 08:30 PM
UB40 Band Member

hi sid..well they wont want you trying reeds..heres my advice, get a mouthpiece with a medium lay...(thats the slope of the underside of mouthpiece that the reed is set against..then stick with your 1.1/2 - 2 reed..in fact try playing on a 2 from now on and very soon it will feel like a 1.1/2..it will just be a bit stronger,fuller tone and then PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACT ICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,P RACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTI CE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PR ACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTIC E,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRA CTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRAC TICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACT ICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,P RACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTI CE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PR ACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTIC E,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRA CTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRAC TICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACT ICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,P RACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTI CE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PR ACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTIC E,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRA CTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRAC TICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACT ICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,P RACTICE...there are no shortcuts to developing a lip (embrouchure) and the more you practice the more you will enjoy playing and becoming a musician...and make sure you listen to Kathryn2804 and Nods..they both know what they are talking about whereas I just make it up as I go along...

VIEW ALL UBTV CLIPS via link below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInsideEye?feature=mhum
Old 8th March 2011, 08:57 PM
UBloonie

Ha ha cheers Bri...
Old 8th March 2011, 10:21 PM
UBloonie

haha...well, there you have it!
Old 10th March 2011, 05:43 PM
UBloonie

Hi sid sent you a pm..
Yummy..........