Old 1st April 2014, 04:39 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Dublin gigs

Well, after a surprise visit by Dave, tickets then secured for just Friday night..and after a minor flight change...
we were sitting at home on Thursday afternoon and I said...feck it we'll go into town after the gig and meet up with niall, gerrio, caroline and Tanya..if we cant get to the gig we will at least get to see our friends.
then,niall rang, I could feel the excitement of the gig in the air...so needless to say, tickets for Thursday appeared by magic.
As it was a last minute decision, we arrived about 20 mins into the set, the atmosphere was electric inside the Academy.i spotted the loonies in their usual spot.up front! we made our way over and settled in to enjoy the rest of the set.
WOW! song after song, they blew me away.the band sound amazing and as for dunc, he has it nailed. the choice of songs are top notch and we enjoyed every second.
a certain cheeky brassman, whos name begins with B and ends with rian...spotted us and mouthed down to me, send tik to the bar to get me a guinness will ya....
unbelieveable lol..so off he went and the black stuff was well appreciated.
When it was over, we were still on a high, he headed off to the hotel where the band then followed us...couldn't shake them no matter how hard we tried!
we chatted about the set...gerrio found a fan outside who wanted her pic with dunc..he obliged.
Ages later, same fan came back with boyfriend, who in his best dublin accent asked...here! are u really ub40?? to which we all replied yes, even us girls...he said who's the singer..so we all pointed at niall...there he is! same girl gets on his knee for a few pics, telling us how starstruck she was.. we were all encouraging her..telling niall to pose for pics...then she says she wants a pic of us all...loz had his back to her so she shouts, Norm turn around!..which we all repeated many times..great craic. outside in the smoking area, she asked tony who he was..he said keyboard player..then tik said he also used to be on telly, on a show called desmonds
to which she replied..i'm only 28, I don't remember that!
she asked if gerrio was tonys wife, tik said yes but she was my wife before that...hook, line sinker!
back inside, a group of men from Norn Iron who were in Dublin for the darts, realised whos company they were in and headed over to say hello...
one got talking to tik and somehow got the impression that tik was one of the brass section..i don't know how that happened
not long after some guy came over and serenaded gerrio with, you've lost that loving feeling..we all again joined in singing all the woah woah woahs.
we decided to call it a night soon after that..but left with our hearts full and our sides aching from laughing..

Friday..after a few wrong turns (my fault) and a wrong phone number (c's fault)..Carolanne & Tom picked us up from home and we drove into town to meet the loonies again. As usual, the band were stalking us in the bar.
We had a few drinks there and a great wee catch up..with the bar playing non stop UB40 choons..we wouldn't have left except we had the real thing playing a gig a few doors down. we took up residence at the front barrier with ease, Dublin is always laid back...aint that right RBC?? lol
I really enjoyed hearing the first few tunes which we'd missed the night before and this gig was even better than the Thursday..blown away again.
JB kept annoying me and carolanne by making silly faces at us whenever he caught our eye, or maybe that just his normal face, who knows!
The crowd once again were loving it. singing along to the hits they knew, the oldies they loved and even the newer songs were embraced.
It was over far too soon..and we left as the last song was ending to make a mad dash round the corner to see Dublin tribute band Promises n Lies playing.
The brass section were coming round and brian had announced it during the set so we knew we had to be fast to get "our spot"
The boys arrived to cheers from the crowd as word had spread that they were coming.
Promises n Lies were fantastic..they have it down to a fine art and the songs our boys played with them were outstanding.and we were all sad when they had to leave to head to Belfast.
We danced all night to some great choons, the party just kept going.
If anyone gets a chance to see this tribute band..do it!
great set list and very talented bunch of lads.
Tom drove us home under fine directions from me...and then he, carolanne and Tanya set off for Belfast where they were doing it all again that night. lucky feckers!!

Thank you UB40 for two of the best gigs I have ever been at.
to the loonies we had the pleasure of spending time with..you're all bloody mad but we wouldn't have you any other way.
Promises n lies..get to my side of the city and get used to seeing my face in the front row.

VIVA UB40....

Last edited by ~Shaz~ (aka DubGal); 1st April 2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: multiple spelling mistakes..Fi will kill me!
Old 1st April 2014, 05:04 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Thanks Shaz,great read.
Old 1st April 2014, 05:11 PM
UBloonie

Great review hun thanks xx
Old 1st April 2014, 05:35 PM
Über UBLoonie

great review shaz
Old 1st April 2014, 08:00 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Thanks Shaz great review.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:58 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Alright wernt it kid x
Old 1st April 2014, 09:17 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Lovely read Shaz. Dying to go to another gig.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:29 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tik View Post
Alright wernt it kid x
It was indeedy.
We had mighty craic x
Old 1st April 2014, 09:29 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Lovely read Shaz. Dying to go to another gig.
Tell me about it Hels.
It's so addictive.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:45 PM
Über UBLoonie

Just how I remember it chick
That Jimbob is a cheeky fecker alroight!!

Wish it was last friday again

C
We won`t run and we won`t hide