Old 4th January 2015, 07:05 AM
UBNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
Their setlist isn't actually Labour of love based, obviously they do Red Red Wine, Homely Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Kingston Town, Cherry Oh Baby (the same amount of LOL songs as Ub40 do right?) but they also do Food for Thought, One in Ten, Folitician, Bring Me Your Cup etc and 3 from the new album. I cant see anything wrong with a set like that.
You missed "Rat in Mi Kitchen" which of course "original" UB40 don't play any more. One of my favourite tracks of all time, Astro rocks on that song.
Old 4th January 2015, 07:15 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Their setlist isn't actually Labour of love based, obviously they do Red Red Wine, Homely Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Kingston Town, Cherry Oh Baby (the same amount of LOL songs as Ub40 do right?) but they also do Food for Thought, One in Ten, Folitician, Bring Me Your Cup etc and 3 from the new album. I cant see anything wrong with a set like that.
when i saw them earlier this year, 10 of their 20 tracks were LOL tracks. They've probably changed things since then...

And you can't see anyting wrong with a set that contains mostly his old band's songs? THREE songs from a new album he's supposedly promoting? THREE? I guess he knows as well as the rest of us that if he plays his new music, the sheep will stop coming to see him...
Old 4th January 2015, 07:18 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the Brit View Post
You missed "Rat in Mi Kitchen" which of course "original" UB40 don't play any more. One of my favourite tracks of all time, Astro rocks on that song.
its not "original" UB40, its just UB40....
Old 4th January 2015, 05:17 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
when i saw them earlier this year, 10 of their 20 tracks were LOL tracks. They've probably changed things since then...

And you can't see anyting wrong with a set that contains mostly his old band's songs? THREE songs from a new album he's supposedly promoting? THREE? I guess he knows as well as the rest of us that if he plays his new music, the sheep will stop coming to see him...
No, Ali just knows the majority go to hear the old classics, the same with most old acts surely? 3 from the new album is a perfect amount from the new album i think. And as for a "set that contains his old bands stuff", if its fine for Duncan to sing mostly Ali songs, its probably okay for Ali to sing his own songs, songs that he sung and made his own for 28 years.
Old 4th January 2015, 05:18 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
its not "original" UB40, its just UB40....
Original as in pre-duncan, the classic ub40.
Old 4th January 2015, 06:31 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
No, Ali just knows the majority go to hear the old classics, the same with most old acts surely? 3 from the new album is a perfect amount from the new album i think. And as for a "set that contains his old bands stuff", if its fine for Duncan to sing mostly Ali songs, its probably okay for Ali to sing his own songs, songs that he sung and made his own for 28 years.
they're not Ali songs, they're UB40 songs. Yes, its quite fine for UB40 to keep playing UB40 songs....

Ali's welcome to sing them too, even the UB40 guys have said as much. I'm just wondering why he doesn't promote his own music, like most other singers who've gone off solo. Has he resigned himself to be a golden oldies act, is that what you're saying?
Old 4th January 2015, 06:31 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Original as in pre-duncan, the classic ub40.
On this site, they're called UB40. Respect that or bugger off.
Old 4th January 2015, 06:54 PM
UBNewbie

If either Ali/UB40 or original UB40 (or whatever you guys want to call them) are playing at a venue that appeals to me then I will go enjoy the music equally no matter who I am listening to. I just love the style and vitality of UB40 music.
If someone misses a note now and then that that is just exactly why I love live music. If I want to hear perfection I will listen to a record.
I regard myself as being fortunate to have two bands playing music I love touring at pretty much the same time.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 4th January 2015, 08:01 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:

You really have contradicted yourself there re 'Ali songs'.

The creation of a UB40 track is a collective effort in terms of playing, arranging, recording and producing whether the song is an original or a cover.

Ali never wrote any lyrics of note anyway.

And what has happened to material from his much lauded solo albums - I suppose people don't really want to hear Britney Spears covers - how the mighty have fallen!
Old 4th January 2015, 11:27 PM
UB40 Band Member

I think npg is a bit confused about who and what UB40 really are. And I suspect that is because they aren't really a UB40 fan.

To say 'aldi knows that the majority want to hear the old classics' is completely wrong.

To REAL UB40 fans the 'old classics' are pre- labour of love. Songs like 'Love is all' and 'Don't let to pass you by' are considered the real classics.

What npg means by the 'old classics' is the LOL cover versions that casual fans only know. this is exactly the audience that our ex singer is trying to get back. people that aren't really fans from the beginning, and only really know the big hits like RRW and CHFIL.

For most UB40 fans those cover versions were a turn off.

As for phil the brit.

Nobody can tell anyone what music they can like or what gigs they can go to. that's our own free choice to suit our own personal tastes.

But there is only ONE UB40. Three member left and went out on their own. We have their resignation letters. You can't leave and then keep using the name. It's illegal, immoral and completely unfair to the bandmates who worked for over 30 years and wrote most of the material.

I wrote 1 in 10. But I have to sit back and watch another set of musicians take credit for my work, make money from my work. But I don't get a penny.

just as earl will get nothing for his wonderful baselines as he watches another bass player, who was never part of UB40 history take the credit.

As BT, who spent endless hours and days constructing the brass section lines on ALL Ub40 records is supposed to be happy when another brass section, who had nothing to do with the writing or promoting or performing of those precious licks take all the credit and the financial reward.

and what about RBC's harmonies ??

And mine and BT's and RBC's words, like 1 in 10, sing our own song, higher ground. Are we supposed to just lie down and give up and let some complete strangers, who were never part of UB40 take all the credit and financial reward for OUR hard work ??

I think not.