Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 18th September 2009, 02:30 PM
UBloonie

Default Are people being treated unfairly in this recession?

Just wondering if many people are being treated more badly during this recession?...I now know the dustmen(refuse workers) are striking in Leeds,as they are set to lose up to £6000 annually in wages,as the council is bringing refuse collectors wages in line with care workers..Instead of upping the care workers wages in line with other workers,they plan on cutting their money.. Some people where I work also seem to be given more tasks to do with no wage increases for them this year.. I know that people say that your lucky that you have work,as there is massive unemployment at the moment,but these conditions can't continue,as you will have civil unrest soon..I noticed this also when we had a tory government with M Thatcher in power and peoples' conditions suddenly got worse to the point of nothing more than mere exploitation..What do you all think about this? Am I making a valid point here?..
Old 18th September 2009, 03:54 PM
Super Über UBloonie

A very valid point, mate.

The unions don't have the power they used to have, in my opinion.

Where I work, which has nurses, carers, activities organisers, cleaners, kitchen staff, office staff and maintenance staff. All staff are expected to work per rota on a bank holiday, Christmas holiday or New years day. 2 years ago staff would be paid time and 3/4 s per hour, now it has been dropped to time and a half.

love jx
Old 18th September 2009, 04:22 PM
Super Über UBloonie

I shouldn't complain, according to job ads I'm "well paid" for my role -yeah right but anyhow.

Firstly, we aren't sure whether we will get a pay rise this year, which was due back in July. Secondly, the bosses are attempting to jig the pay grades so if we do get that rise I'll be lucky to get a couple of hundred over the year instead of the £1000 I should have while others, due to this rejig will get £1000s in their pay packet. Future rises will also be limited to the cost of living

I am lucky to be fairly safe in my job though so I'm trying not to shout too loudly but unions? Pah!
Old 18th September 2009, 07:22 PM
UB40 Band Member

What the bosses really want is SLAVES. Anything that gets them closer to achieving that makes them happy. The recession is just an excuse.
Old 18th September 2009, 07:27 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40
What the bosses really want is SLAVES. Anything that gets them closer to achieving that makes them happy. The recession is just an excuse.
True, the rights of workers has gone down hill over the last 25 years.

The recession has frightened the workers in to not standing up for themselves and the employers are rubbing their greedy little hands in glee.

love jx