UBloonie

real reggae songs they were lol
Old 27th August 2014, 07:39 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via AIM to oneillk Send a message via MSN to oneillk

Didn't great British songs out sell GOTS? Doors? Submarine? PMSL
Old 27th August 2014, 07:46 AM
UBloonie

You really want to compare record sales, oneillk? Justin Bieber is popular and he has outsold everything UB40 and Ali have released in recent years...and his music is down right shyte!...the best selling albums aren't always the BEST..does that tell you anything about the current music business?

But leave it up to you to get totally off the point here. My entire point was that Ali makes fun of UB40 covering some country songs, while he just recently released an album of rock covers. He is the pot calling the kettle black. That's the point. Don't lose the plot.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 27th August 2014, 09:55 AM
UB40 Fan

Just Bieber sales aree based on teenage girls buying his music, not because his good but because they all have a crouch on him, just like one direction. UB40 and Ali music are sold on the basis of the music and voice! Ok there are some one women on both sides who act like teen girls, but there sales are based on there music from the same genre from the same age group. So they can be compared.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:33 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillk View Post
Just Bieber sales aree based on teenage girls buying his music, not because his good but because they all have a crouch on him, just like one direction. UB40 and Ali music are sold on the basis of the music and voice! Ok there are some one women on both sides who act like teen girls, but there sales are based on there music from the same genre from the same age group. So they can be compared.
So can concert ticket sales be compared.UB40 play 10 gigs for every UK gig he plays.Excluding racecourse and festival shows UB40 will have played to well over 100,000 people by the end of the year while Ali is putting on a tour that is shorter than my working week!!!.We've even had people coming on here complaining about the quality of his shows,thinking they were seeing UB40.That's his intention of course.He knows he would struggle to fill a village hall with honest billing.Then his band produces performances like this which demonstrates far more eloquently than I ever could how his outfit is a pale imitation of the real deal.I showed it to my wife who actually thought someone was playing a Candid Camera style trick on him.

Old 27th August 2014, 12:02 PM
UB40 Fan

People complain on both sides, I was reading a review the other day saying they were expecting to see Ali and got Duncan. They said his voice didn't suit the music and he spent most of his time running to the side of the stage to drink his alcohol. Also at the the festival they played the other week the crowd was shouting for Ali. If this is true I don't no!

As for gig sizes we had this debate a couple weeks ago.
Old 27th August 2014, 12:34 PM
UB40 Fan

i don't think any UB40 fans would still be going to concerts expecting to see Ali.. there will always be someone though who doesn't know and will make that comment. And then Ali's fans will embellish on it and pretend that the entire hall was looking for Ali... and anyway, if he wasn't causing so much confusion with his billing himself as UB40, then perhaps things like this wouldn't still be happening. Gig sizes don't matter, record sales don't matter, UB40 matters, and Ali isn't UB40.

We can go around in circles talking about this, but there's only one thing that matters here. Oneillk, answer honestly.. Is Ali entitled to call himself UB40 when promoting his gigs?
Old 27th August 2014, 12:39 PM
UBloonie

5/8 > 3/8 simple math. Ali, Mickey and Astro do not have the right to call themselves UB40. They left and now the other 5/8ths of the band carry on as UB40. Simples.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 27th August 2014, 01:16 PM
UB40 Band Member

As I said before matt. mickey and astro were NOT founding members. They came later, and don't go all the way back to school the way the other members did. We met astro for the first time AFTER the band was formed because he was mickeys mate [they went to school together].

Of the six original founder members, five are still playing together as UB40. All that has changed is the singer.

people very often still call dunc ali. recently at a gig in ireland, one guy was cuddling dunc and calling him 'ali'. Then he said 'ali, I love that song blue eyes', it's the best song you ever sung.'

That happens all the time. But we don't get many complaints at the gigs. The audiences have been loving our recent tour. It's been a pleasure to get up and play for them. And there's a whole load more shows to come before the end of the year.

That's why our ex singer is trying to con our audience. He hasn't got one of his own.

this is what happens when he books gigs under HIS OWN NAME. . .

Old 27th August 2014, 01:18 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Apologies to BT and JB for posting another video but I think this demonstrates how the rent boy 3 are damaging the UB40 brand.Astro looks fed up and sounds incredibly out of tune.Thanks to Bruno from Paris.