Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 5th June 2017, 03:07 PM
UB40 Fan

Default Singing in the rain & as happy as Larry!!

Hi Ya,
Can I share my latest UB40 adventure wiv ya ?
UB40 Bath Race Course 2 June 2017.....

My hubby & I got to Bath Race Course just before the gates opened. Got out the car, walked a few paces, and the first person I saw was Marg! Minutes later, Julie arrived! We couldn't have planned it better! At this point weather not too bad. Even the sun glasses came out for a few minutes. As soon as the gates opened we made straight for the stage. It always looks so cool, doesn't it?! Jimmy and Normans drums, that big black speaker that has UB40 BIRMINGHAM down the side.
Robins two guitars were stood together, right in the middle of the raised platform where Martin, Brian and Laurence usually play, for a while.
I hadn't seen them side by side before. I was thinking both guitars were the same, and one was a spare in case needed, but Marg pointed out that they were different and Rob uses both. Cool, RBC!
Anyway, we chatted, got through some tea and coffee, took the usual photos. Caught site of Duncan, then Martin, and later Laurence. Gave them each a wave. They are always kind enough to wave back!
Then the breeze picked up and it turned chilly, so coats went on. Then the sky went black. A little tune came to mind.......I think it's going to rain today........ it bloody did an' all! The heavens opened! Now, I wouldn't stand in the rain for just anybody you know, ha ha - but for UB40 I would do anything - nothing was going to drag us from that barrier. Who cares about a spot of rain or two!
However, it got so bad and the wind was blowing it towards the stage. The crew were doing all they could to keep everything dry. Everything was being covered with plastic sheeting and towels. As fast as they swept the rain water off the stage it needed doing again. Even Jimmys drums had to be covered up. The front lights were lowered and covered in plastic sheeting. It was quite funny because then all we could see were pairs of feet walking back and forth under the sheeting. Some in wellies ! Lights were being took down. Worried faces about. We kept looking at each other, thinking, UB40 cant perform in this. We were convinced it was going to be called off. I think it was delayed a few minutes. But hates off, and BIG respect to the crew and to UB40! Fair play to them, on they came, the show went on!! We were so relieved and over joyed when we realised it was going ahead. We really didn't think it was going to happen, but then Jimmy appeared (in a big coat). We still weren't sure. But then that music started (you know the music I mean - hairs up on the back of neck time. The moment you know the show is starting - I turn into a little kid who's having all my Christmases at once at this point!) Off went Jimmy's coat, out came Earl, and the rest of UB40. Big sigh, we're getting our UB40 fix!!! So relieved, I really thought it would be cancelled. So happy it wasn't. Another first class performance. I think they appreciated that we had waited in the rain to see them. Robin applauded us - then later said we were nuts ! ha ha - Yeah, Nuts for UB40. We really appreciated them coming out to perform in such horrid wet conditions. Thanks UB40 and thanks to all the crew too. I will never tire of hearing my favs live, Food for Thought, Sing our own song, Blue Eyes crying in the Rain, Midnight rider, I'll be your baby tonight, Reggae Music, Baby, Don't break my heart, to name but a few.
Had to laugh, Brian doesn't seem to be needed for Don't break my heart, so he stood under a huge great umbrella at the side! ha ha. Then when he returned to the stage, threw the umbrella out to the audience.
Amazing show as always. The rain didn't dampen our enthusiasm, we had an absolute blast. thoroughly enjoyed the show. Another fantastic time. Thanks again UB40. You are just amazing guys.
Cant wait for next time XXX
Big Love XXX
Old 5th June 2017, 07:14 PM
UBloonie

Wow, this review is even better than what I read on fb... reading this feels almost like I was there too. Thank you for this beautiful review xx
Old 5th June 2017, 10:08 PM
UB40 Fan

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. People are always rushing and facebook suits most people so it's refreshing to get an actual report from people who were there. Can't wait myself to see them in london in december. Big love x
Old 5th June 2017, 11:18 PM
UB40 Fan

Thanks Lyn, the bits about rain seemed so like Doncaster, they are due some weather luck soon. It is amazing how the time passes waiting for That Moment when they appear isn't it if you are having good banter with fellow loonies......
Old 6th June 2017, 02:33 PM
UB40 Fan

Thanks, Swanie, Reggaeron, Linda xx
Yeah, Linda, the time did fly. We arrived 3ish I think, the horse racing was first of course, UB40 not on until the evening, but the hours flew by at first.
It was great to see Marg and Julie again. It was really good how we all arrived within minutes of each other, considering Julie is from Liverpool, Marg from Telford , and me from Redditch. We got through some tea and coffee and had lunch and just chatted and watched the stage being prepared, and the time flew by. Except the last hour I'd say. It had been raining a while, so we were quite wet by this point, and worried it would be cancelled. But once UB40 were on that stage - couldn't have given a moneys about the rain! Thoroughly enjoyed the show.
Except, you know the chorus of Cherry O Baby - when we all wave! Rain water ran down your arm - urgh brrrrrr - ha ha.
You know I wear glasses? I had a tissue in my pocket and had to clear the rain from my glasses a few times, by the end of the show my tissue was a bit soggy to say the least! And I didn't get my phone out too often to take piccies because my hands were so cold, I couldn't hold it very well. I did try and take some but they weren't very good. A lot were blurred and I deleted them. Not sure if they were blurred through dancing or through shaking from the cold ! ha ha.
We just laughed it off, still had a blast. UB40 are defo my happy pill. Love um.
There were some silly people who got a bit drunk.
I didn't see what happened I only had eyes & ears for UB40, but at one point Julie got pushed into me and I in turn fell into Marg, had to grab the barrier! Julie said fists were flying. The security dragged this guy over the barrier and took him away, then came back for some women ????? Why pay money to see a band, get drunk, and miss the show ????? Just cant understand some people.
Rob and I had a flat battery and didn't get back to our hotel until 2a.m. ! I was so cold and wet and was never more glad to see my bed, but do you know what, I still had a dirty great grin across my face and felt deliriously happy ! all 'cause of 9 gorgeously talented guys and their fabulous Reggae music! THANKS AGAIN UB40 FOR ANOTHER FABULOUS SHOW XXXX
Old 6th June 2017, 10:41 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Great review, no need for me to do one now ...
A fantastic time as always, it was lovely spending the day with you and Julie
Old 6th June 2017, 11:02 PM
UB40 Fan

Great to see you again too, Marg! 'Til next time .......
Old 6th June 2017, 11:36 PM
UBloonie

Oh Lynnie.....that was a great read. You're a braver woman than me standing out there all that time in the pouring rain. Glad you all had a great night though xx
Old 7th June 2017, 05:50 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Oh Lynnie.....that was a great read. You're a braver woman than me standing out there all that time in the pouring rain. Glad you all had a great night though xx
They're worth it, Sal ! Wouldn't stand in the rain for any old band though! ha ha ha
Old 7th June 2017, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

What a gorgeous review! Makes me sad I couldn't make it.