Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 8th March 2015, 06:49 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
LOl - these are all brilliant

Worst one was when I hurled myself at Brian when he tried to get on the tour bus when they came to Edinburgh (Signing Off Tour) ......and I was soaking from standing in the rain....

Brian took one look at me screaming in the rain and charging at him and did a sort of cuckoo sign to my friend and said "is she mad?" ...I was deeply flattered .............

I remember that well
Old 9th March 2015, 08:44 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
I also won a UB40 fan club competition back in 1983 by providing all the names of the original artists on the 1st Labour Of Love album and won signed copies of the album, Red Red Wine 12" and Please Don't Make Me Cry 7".

I had no bloody clue of any of the artists so spent an afternoon ringing round various London Reggae like Dub Vendor and Daddy Kool to get the names of Tony Tribe, Winston Groovy, Eric Donaldson etc
SAAD - So it was you that won that comp? I entered it too, via the InfoCo. Well done you. Glad the prize went to a good home.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:53 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
SAAD - So it was you that won that comp? I entered it too, via the InfoCo. Well done you. Glad the prize went to a good home.

Thanks Tanya. I'm glad you haven't asked for a stewards enquiry in to the result
Old 10th March 2015, 12:14 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB40 View Post
I remember that well
X x tis a lovely thing to remember we were as high as kites x x was going to talk about the next day ...when somone wrapped herself round the town clock ...to wave good bye ....

And Saad ...took my delights out of the cupboard today for a wee wrap around and shut eyes ....i am sure I can still smell heaven .....even if it is am illusion ...it is rather heavenly .....one swoons .....g
Old 10th March 2015, 07:58 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Tanya & Saad I remember that comp, Nice one saad on winning

You've reminded me of one, .

A few of us had met up in Brum, Ub40 happened to be in the studio as we where walking past on the way to the pub, We had a good listen to what they were doing, we couldn't put a finger on the song we heard, we had to wait till the cd came out.

Another time a very good friend of mine, was making a pratt of me in front of Brian, his face was a picture.

You've got some good stories in this post girls.

Last edited by kate13; 20th March 2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 18th March 2015, 03:13 AM
UBloonie

Hiya groovers! Haven't been 'round here for a little while but I miss the friends here that don't pop over to FB.... didn't do the 'name 5 things' over there but let's see what I can dredge up....

1) Late 80s--Spent a night at their Miami hotel rolling and smoking and rolling and smoking and rolling and smoking....then got in my car for a five hour drive to the west coast of Florida, where after the gig spent the night rolling and smoking and rolling and smoking and rolling and smoking.... and next day after saying "Bye Bye" outside the hotel in Tampa, drove my car into a stop sign pole...

2) Took my kidlet at age 4 to a show where she kept asking me to take her backstage (where does she get the bottle? LOL)... stood her near the tour bus where she got autographs in her little Mickey Mouse autograph book...too cute---UBs autographs amongst Beauty & the Beast and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

3) Only missed two Florida gigs since I've lived down here. One was due to a cancelled tour, the other was my car going lifeless just before I headed out for another drive to the western side of the state. I was so upset that hubby tried to take my mind off missing that night's gig by taking me to the cinema. I cried throughout the entire movie---have no idea what was playing.

4) 1999--Even though I used a computer at work, I was less inclined to use it at home because my attempts at "social networking" (such as it was back in the dark ages of the 90s) usually led me to chatrooms where unwanted sexual advances started without provocation. One day, listening to the GITG cd, I finally noticed the UB website information on the back and discovered a world full of people with the same excellent taste in music! I no longer had to wait for one of the band's infrequent US tours to be able to talk to others about the music that touched our hearts....

5) 1979--Forever grateful to some mates in London for taking me, nished as a pewt and drugged outta mi head, to hear some new reggae band down from the Midlands. Even though the memory is fuzzy due to substances that shall remain nameless, I fell in love... Happy to admit their music has remained as a soundtrack to my life...

xxx
Old 19th March 2015, 08:14 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
X x tis a lovely thing to remember we were as high as kites x x was going to talk about the next day ...when somone wrapped herself round the town clock ...to wave good bye ....
What a great couple of days we had
Old 20th March 2015, 03:26 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

It's been really quiet round here for a while, I know the whole Facebook thing is where it's at now, even JB is a full on pro over there these days!

It would be a real shame to lose this BB, but if it's not being used then I can understand if it ends up disappearing

Ok so 5 UB related points:

1. Being a fellow brummie (with a family who love reggae) I grew up on UB40, it's the sound of my youth (like many others), LOL2 was the one I remember the most (born in '85) In fact my dad was mates with Norman Hassan at school and knew most of the other guys too.

2. My first UB40 gig was that show in Canon Hill Park, Birmingham (early '90's?) with Bitty McLean, I was only a kid so was more interested in running about in the park with my mates but I remember it all the same

3. The next UB gig I attended wasn't until the WYFF tour of 2005, in Bournemouth UK, loved it! had such a great night, still got the t-shirt

4. Around 2010 I made a couple of homemade remixes of tracks from LOL4 / Dub Sessions 2, a mate put them on youtube which resulted in Brian Travers emailing me!!! How amazing was that?!?!?

5. Went and saw UB again in 2010 for the LOL tour, first time with Duncan, and (with no disrespect - # neutral) was a way better show!!
Not just the track list but the whole performance, the band came across more energetic and it was such a great vibe

I only check in on FB now n again so this was never posted over there but feel free to share with the UB FB community

All the best,
Neil.