Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 17th May 2013, 09:17 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Party Political By UKIP

WARNING-some racist language but demonstrates well the pig ignorant attitudes of working class people who vote tory/ukip.

Last edited by rhondda rudie; 17th May 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:45 PM
UB40 Band Member

Johnny speight, who wrote till death created a monster in alf garnett. Problem is, I remember plenty of people who thought he was serious and agreed with alf. Not realizing they having the p*55 taken out of them

things haven't changed much.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:58 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Johnny speight, who wrote till death created a monster in alf garnett. Problem is, I remember plenty of people who thought he was serious and agreed with alf. Not realizing they having the p*55 taken out of them

I think the guy who wrote Love They Neighbour scripted it for the same reasons as Speight wrote 'Til Death Us Do Part. The thing about that point in British society, is that there wasn't a visible black or Asian 'voice' in the British media nor politically. It was mainly caricatures and stereotypes - this was literally a couple of years after a lot of Commonwealth nations gained independence from the British empire.

So if there was any irony or satire to Alf Garnett, it's fair to say it was lost to much of the audience, because those stereotypes were very commonplace at that time, and there were no alternative voices.
Old 17th May 2013, 03:03 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Adventurer View Post
I think the guy who wrote Love They Neighbour scripted it for the same reasons as Speight wrote 'Til Death Us Do Part. The thing about that point in British society, is that there wasn't a visible black or Asian 'voice' in the British media nor politically. It was mainly caricatures and stereotypes - this was literally a couple of years after a lot of Commonwealth nations gained independence from the British empire.

So if there was any irony or satire to Alf Garnett, it's fair to say it was lost to much of the audience, because those stereotypes were very commonplace at that time, and there were no alternative voices.

Trix Worrell who wrote 'Desmonds' for Channel Four said that when he was a kid 'Love Thy Neighbour' was compulsive viewing in his household as it was just about the only show on TV to feature a black characters
Old 17th May 2013, 03:23 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Trix Worrell who wrote 'Desmonds' for Channel Four said that when he was a kid 'Love Thy Neighbour' was compulsive viewing in his household as it was just about the only show on TV to feature a black characters
Same with my household, I'd just begun primary school when it was on. You didn't see Caribbean characters on tv who were like the people we knew in everday life. It was actually quite funny ... but the following day at school I was called some of those names. Children don't see things in colour terms; I didn't. That was a bit of a shock and a defining moment of childhood. Again, that comedy was dealing with a lot of social dynamics that no child could really understand. It was probably well intended too.
Old 17th May 2013, 04:01 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:

Exactly what Randy Newman did with the song Short People - except all the dumbasses took it literally

Old 17th May 2013, 05:16 PM
UB40 Band Member

I think the younger generation don't understand what it was like in those days. There weren't many black faces on british TV. The only time you saw black people was on american TV shows like I-spy [bill cosby] or starsky and hutch.

My kids were brought up on nickleodeon, the most multi-cultural channel on TV.

Even though the themes of 'love thy nieghbor' and 'till death us do part' were similar, there was a world of difference in quality. Johnny spieght was a brilliant satyrical writer. In 'till death. . .' he drove a knife through the heart of 'little england'. he pricked the pompous balloon of post-colonial britain and exposed the bigotry and sexism inherent in british history.

can't really make those claims for 'love thy neighbor', which was just farcical in comparison.

:till death us do part was a milestone in british TV.
Old 17th May 2013, 07:52 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
I think the younger generation don't understand what it was like in those days. There weren't many black faces on british TV. The only time you saw black people was on american TV shows like I-spy [bill cosby] or starsky and hutch.

My kids were brought up on nickleodeon, the most multi-cultural channel on TV.

Even though the themes of 'love thy nieghbor' and 'till death us do part' were similar, there was a world of difference in quality. Johnny spieght was a brilliant satyrical writer. In 'till death. . .' he drove a knife through the heart of 'little england'. he pricked the pompous balloon of post-colonial britain and exposed the bigotry and sexism inherent in british history.

can't really make those claims for 'love thy neighbor', which was just farcical in comparison.

:till death us do part was a milestone in british TV.
Certainly rings true Jimmy.Thinking back,as a little 'un I probably saw more black faces on Sesame Street than the whole of British tv put together.The only black face I can remember from that time was Brindsley Forde in the Double Deckers.In fact you were more likely to see white people pretending to be black/Asian (Black and White Minstrels,It Aint Half Hot Mum) than the real thing which seems very strange now.
Old 17th May 2013, 09:39 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to littlecrow

It was so strange growing up where i do , a small village with small minded people, the first time i seen a black person in the village was in the early 80's, not that long ago really, but we're in the middle of the cotswolds and you could say a little slow to get things. My parents as much as i love them are old fashion and stuck in their ways, didnt like to idea of change and didnt understand the difference in people and their ways. They were Foreigners as far as they were concerned. I had to keep my first boyfriend a secret because of this and it was hard for me to understand why people act this way, colour never mattered to me and never should. I see the change now and when my son came home crying one day (when he was about 7) because a white lad was bullying a coloured lad just because of his colour he didnt understand why people see the colour as a problem. i'm glad to say all my kids have understanding.
Old 17th May 2013, 11:48 PM
UBloonie

Alf Garnett was brilliant. A legend in the East end.