Old 29th July 2014, 06:10 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Another thing I find fascinating is this. . .

I know from past experience that both john balfour and tikabilla are both thoughtful reasonable people.

And the points they make are valid even if I might not agree.

But neither of them have addressed the main point of this argument.

And that is the way our ex singer has fraudulently used the name of the band he left seven years ago.

It has nothing to do with the quality of music being produced, or the size of the crowds, or how many records are sold.

The way he markets himself is misleading.

Claiming that UB40 have reformed for a tour of australia and south africa is wrong because it's a lie.

I would be very interested if either one could put together an argument to excuse this behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
The reason I haven't got into the whole who has the right to use the name is because it is none of my business . its something that Ali, Astro, Mickey, Norman, Earl, Brian,JB & Robin need to deal with through the legal system , all I will say though and this is not to provoke a reaction, is that when most people hear the name UB40 they instantly think of the voice of Ali Campbell
I think you guys are being pushy about their opinions on the name issue. Tik came on to express their opinion about the quality of the musicians in the DEP band, not the situation in its entirety. I have voiced my strong opinion ad nauseam, here and on Facebook, but not everyone wants to get involved, no matter how they feel about either/or. Its been downright nasty from both sides, and very personal with some people too and maybe some people don't want to get involved. I think, from the little I've heard, that the DEP musicians are fairly good, and I'm sure they signed up to play in a band, not get involved in the disaster Ali has created. And let's face it, most people are going to bash them because most people are expecting the band to sound like UB40, which is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
"when most people think of the band, they think of Ali Campbell"

We read this a lot, but I really truly doubt this is true. First of all, whether it's true or not does not change the fact that his use of the name UB40 is fraudulent.

Second of all, I sometimes question whether his voice is actually all that distinctive. There are many examples of fans mistaking Duncan for Ali. Also, on youtube, people are often confused about who wrote which songs. "Bob Marley - Red Red Wine" is a common one I see, and another is "UB40 - Baby I love your way". If everybody recognised Ali's distinctive voice then surely things like this wouldn't happen?
I had no idea what the name of the lead singer was for years. I loved the music as a whole, how all the instruments came together, especially the early stuff which was more music than lyrics and of course the sibling harmonizing, which most singers could only dream about having. And that's why it still works. I think that people are disappointed when they go see Ali because he and the musicians don't sound like UB40, but people who are moderate fans don't know the difference when they go to a UB40 concert because Duncan nails so many older songs and brings something new to the newer ones, and the musicians who originally created it and played it all those years are still playing it behind him.
Old 29th July 2014, 06:18 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
exactly OL.

We've toured without astro, without norman, without brian and without earl. It didn't make a lot of difference to the show.

This is the lesson our ex singer has learned, to his disappointment.

UB40 as a brand is known world wide, the individual band members, not so much.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that our ex singer has learned the hard way.

That's why leaving the band when he did was such a big mistake.

Unfortunately we all have to live with the consequences of our actions.
mind you jim they would not have carried off the vest like you do
Old 29th July 2014, 06:40 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
I think you guys are being pushy about their opinions on the name issue. Tik came on to express their opinion about the quality of the musicians in the DEP band, not the situation in its entirety. I have voiced my strong opinion ad nauseam, here and on Facebook, but not everyone wants to get involved, no matter how they feel about either/or. Its been downright nasty from both sides, and very personal with some people too and maybe some people don't want to get involved. I think, from the little I've heard, that the DEP musicians are fairly good, and I'm sure they signed up to play in a band, not get involved in the disaster Ali has created. And let's face it, most people are going to bash them because most people are expecting the band to sound like UB40, which is impossible.

I had no idea what the name of the lead singer was for years. I loved the music as a whole, how all the instruments came together, especially the early stuff which was more music than lyrics and of course the sibling harmonizing, which most singers could only dream about having. And that's why it still works. I think that people are disappointed when they go see Ali because he and the musicians don't sound like UB40, but people who are moderate fans don't know the difference when they go to a UB40 concert because Duncan nails so many older songs and brings something new to the newer ones, and the musicians who originally created it and played it all those years are still playing it behind him.

I don't think we ARE being pushy trish.

That IS the subject.

We're not really comparing musicians. although reggaron did a review of the gig which more or less fits in with most reviews of people who have been to both shows. The only objection most of us have is the fraudulent use of the name.

To try and defend aldi and NOT address that point is ignoring the elephant in the room, and a little disingenuous.
Old 29th July 2014, 06:42 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
aldi wearing a vest would look like hyacinth buckets brother in law Onslow !!
Old 29th July 2014, 06:50 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
aldi wearing a vest would look like hyacinth buckets brother in law Onslow !!

Aldi & the Ghoulie contemplate their next move
Old 29th July 2014, 06:55 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
I don't think we ARE being pushy trish.

That IS the subject.

We're not really comparing musicians. although reggaron did a review of the gig which more or less fits in with most reviews of people who have been to both shows. The only objection most of us have is the fraudulent use of the name.

To try and defend aldi and NOT address that point is ignoring the elephant in the room, and a little disingenuous.
There have been many threads where people have jumped in and offered their opinion on only one point and not the main topic. That's actually how half the threads get highjacked.

I don't think Tik was defending Ali, but the musicians that play behind him, and probably aren't involved besides Astro (I could be wrong but I doubt Mickey cares that much, I think he just wants to play music). Half the review was how they badly lacked as a group and Tik was just defending the musicians signed up to play the music.
Old 29th July 2014, 06:56 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post

Aldi & the Ghoulie contemplate their next move

. . . . 'OK. If we had astro killed, we would not only save the fee, but also we might get more people buying our tickets to pay their respects. . . it's a WIN WIN !!!!!!'
Old 29th July 2014, 06:58 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
True.

The "vest", or wife-beater shirt, as it is called in North America, was banned in Canada and several States years ago...

Old 29th July 2014, 07:20 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post

I think Jimmy makes a very valid point Trish.The Ali apologists come on here and facebook (don't mean Tik here) saying they prefer Ali's band.I don't have a problem with that although why they come on here to say it is a mystery.Where Jimmy is right is that they never comment on the name issue.Can't blame them in a way,you'd need a lawyer of the calibre of OJ Simpson's to mount any sort of defence.Their silence on the issue suggests to me they are well aware it is wrong.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:55 PM
UB40 Fan

surely only the Legal system can make the ruling on the Name,you could say that As Alis compo helped to buy the first instruments etc and he with two other members are in a band they should have the right to it, Or you could say that the rest of the original members have the right, i care not to be drawn into it as thats when things deteriorate into slanging matches and i have moved on from that, thats why i havent logged in here for over 2 years. I felt the need to have my say on the DEP band as I said all total professionals and in no way should be ridiculed by anyone,I could have put up a clip of Dep playing food for thought to prove my point but what would that achieve. I prefer Ali's voice to Duncans and that is meant as no disrespect to Duncan i don't do disrespectful . I have Followed UB40 since food for thought and it was Ali's voice that caught my attention, my fave song from that era being I think its going to rain!!!