Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 22nd November 2013, 07:30 PM
Über UBLoonie

We don't know about the private interactions among the band and management. Astro obviously had concerns. I hope that he had previously communicated these concerns to somebody. If not, then it's very poor form to tell the band and then immediately go to announce it on the radio.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:31 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to cepboi

Not been on board for along time - reason for that - not sure - still listen to ub all the time - bought new album and I do like it but how ever no astro was a kick in the balls - just like guns in the ghetto album !! - I think astro will make a stunning solo album and he deserves a solid career and money in the bank - just like the rest of the band -

http://www.blrr.co.uk
http://blrr.podomatic.com

for itunes: http://blrr.podomatic.com/rss2.xml
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:31 PM
UB40 Fan

Although I'm far from a frequent contributor to the discussions on this BB I check in here very frequently for the latest news and I will be at the Liverpool gig tomorrow night.

I just wanted to add that I agree with rhondda rudie - we have been spoilt to have been able to follow our favourite band for so many years.

Nonetheless it is still feels such a shame and I crave to see them all back together again.

As that looks unlikley I for one will continue to listen to the music all of the people that have made and been associated with UB40 over the years continue to produce - they deserve my support for all of the great times and support they've given to me since 1989.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:38 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsensation View Post
what she said
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:45 PM
Über UBLoonie

There's a lot of rather ignorant comments, especially regarding GOTS. I wish people would think before making comments like

"UB40 is becoming a country band."
"The new album is all country and is terrible."

This is very laughable, and as I said before, it is a grave distortion of the facts. Does country music have a drum kick on beat 3? NO! Does country music have keyboard chords on beats 2 and 4? NO! There's so many other musical reasons why this is a reggae album with a hint of country flavour thrown in. Yet people seem to be either misinformed, or distorting the facts to suit their own agenda.

And my second gripe: the assertion that UB40 has become a country band. The band has hundreds of tracks, over 20+ albums, and they have created so many different sounds over the last 30 years. Yet they release one REGGAE album with a country influence, and suddenly people are saying that it's a country album, they've become a country band etc. HYPERBOLE MUCH? It was just ONE album that had a country influence.

A little thinking goes a long way.

Last edited by DreamBig; 22nd November 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:49 PM
UBloonie

Astros explanation does not make sense to me. I suppose it makes sense to him though. I can only hope that he releases an album in the next year, and that UB40 will 'Keep On Moving.'

Aaron

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:50 PM
UBloonie

That's not the point we are making, it's the fact they have included country elements into the album. The steel pedal guitar, the wearyness, the fact every song sounds roughly the same due to the slow tempo. Astro said country was something his parents would listen to. They've gone wrong, i see where he's coming from,

sorry but how is it a bad thing to want tracks with deep dub basslines, hard rhythms that shake the floor. Stuff like Folitician, Present Arms, Signing Off, Walk Out... I challenge any of you to claim that this new country-tinged direction rivals anything from the first few albums. They did it with Twentyfourseven, bought back that great hard hitting dub sound with sharp horn lines, End Of War, Securing the Peace, Rainbow Nation... we want tracks like this! THAT is UB40, the ub40 i know and love.

They've just lost their way, and trust me, Astro will not be the last to leave. No ones fault, everything must come to and end. I love the band with all my heart, but something isn't right, the spark has gone i'm afraid
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:51 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
There's a lot of rather ignorant comments, especially regarding GOTS. I wish people would think before making comments like

"UB40 is becoming a country band."
"The new album is all country and is terrible."

This is very laughable, and as I said before, it is a grave distortion of the facts. Does country music have a drum kick on beat 3? NO! Does country music have keyboard chords on beats 2 and 4? NO! There's so many other musical reasons why this is a reggae album with a hint of country flavour thrown in. Yet people seem to be either misinformed, or distorting the facts to suit their own agenda.

And my second gripe: the assertion that UB40 has become a country band (this ties into Astro's desire to promote reggae rather than country). The band has hundreds of tracks, over 20+ albums, and they have created so many different sounds over the last 30 years. Yet they release one REGGAE album with a country influence, and suddenly people are saying that it's a country album, they've become a country band etc. HYPERBOLE MUCH? It was just ONE album that had a country influence.

A little thinking goes a long way.

People have the right to an opinion, I personally don't like GOTS either, but everything else I love. In my opinion the band have lost direction.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:55 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
That's not the point we are making, it's the fact they have included country elements into the album. The steel pedal guitar, the wearyness, the fact every song sounds roughly the same due to the slow tempo. Astro said country was something his parents would listen to. They've gone wrong, i see where he's coming from,

In life, punts are made, chances are taken. Sometimes, they pay off, and sometimes they don't.

Quote:

sorry but how is it a bad thing to want tracks with deep dub basslines, hard rhythms that shake the floor. Stuff like Folitician, Present Arms, Signing Off, Walk Out... I challenge any of you to claim that this new country-tinged direction rivals anything from the first few albums. They did it with Twentyfourseven, bought back that great hard hitting dub sound with sharp horn lines, End Of War, Securing the Peace, Rainbow Nation... we want tracks like this! THAT is UB40, the ub40 i know and love.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this band has a catalogue stretching over 30 years. You can't have exactly the same sound all the time. They have explored many different styles over the years. They were trying something different.

Quote:

They've just lost their way, and trust me, Astro will not be the last to leave. No ones fault, everything must come to and end. I love the band with all my heart, but something isn't right, the spark has gone i'm afraid
Can't disagree here. Everything must come to an end of course.
Old 22nd November 2013, 07:57 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
In life, punts are made, chances are taken. Sometimes, they pay off, and sometimes they don't.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this band has a catalogue stretching over 30 years. You can't have exactly the same sound all the time. They have explored many different styles over the years. They were trying something different.

Can't disagree here. Everything must come to an end of course.
BUT, at such a worrying time for their career (2011-3 in general), you'd think they'd play safe and make a GREAT reggae album, not take risks!