Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 26th June 2011, 11:46 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
it's all nicely self-contained Saad. We can set it up anywhere. Strangely enough, the extra technology make the out-front mixers job easier. Once he understands where all the sounds are coming from. The samples give an automatic polish to the sound over-all. And our in-ear monitoring means there there are no monitor speakers on stage. So there's less chance of feedback. Other live bands have a disadvantage unless they use backing tapes. With other bands you would have a dozen microphones round the kit alone. I use 5, bass drum, snare, hi-hat and two overhead mic's for cymbals. The rest are direct input, giving clean, produced sounds that can be pushed up really loud in the mix without feeding back. That's how we get a clear live sound, where you can hear everything.

This is really interesting how technology has assisted rather than taken over the sound production side of things......what you said in another thread how after seeing a Bruce Springsteen gig on TV inspired a more interactive UB40 show.

It's great watching one of your shows as there's so much happening onstage your head starts spinning a little as to whether you follow the vocalists; the horns or the rhythm section.

I remember reading a music journalist describe a UB40 gig as 4-4-2 arrangement of the band and in a way it makes sense...........

Saad
Old 26th June 2011, 11:50 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
This is really interesting how technology has assisted rather than taken over the sound production side of things......what you said in another thread how after seeing a Bruce Springsteen gig on TV inspired a more interactive UB40 show.

It's great watching one of your shows as there's so much happening onstage your head starts spinning a little as to whether you follow the vocalists; the horns or the rhythm section.

I remember reading a music journalist describe a UB40 gig as 4-4-2 arrangement of the band and in a way it makes sense...........

Saad
That makes Jimmy left back then.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:00 AM
UB40 Band Member

that's the whole idea with the bands live sound. it's a wall of sound but it's not a mush. You can hear everything clearly. The arrangements help too. there's a lot going on but we don't layer things on top of each other like rock bands. everything has it's own space. there's a lot of call-and-answer stuff going on between me and Normy that you might not even notice. But it keeps everything bubbling along. And the interplay between martin and tony on keys has a big impact on the music too. martin tends to play the strings while tony keeps to mainly rythm duties. but they swap over sometimes too. And astro adds a lot of stuff on his trigger pads too. I suppose it's ego less in a way. Your never sure who is doing what.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:01 AM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
That makes Jimmy left back then.

left back in the dressing room.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:22 PM
UB40 Fan

How you doing JB i have a TD 20 fantastic and a yamaha stage custom, love them both
but i have to play the stage with pads on, just wondering do you ever play an accoustic set,
cheers
Old 29th June 2011, 11:32 PM
UB40 Band Member

the basic kit i play live is acoustic.

acoustic bass drum, snare and cymbals. The electronics are added on top. I only use the roland for 3 toms. I have another 8 trigger pads that run off a sampler. that's mainly for loops.

I usually record acoustically, unless i think the track would sound better with a more electronic approach. like 'oh, america' on 24/7.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:38 PM
UB40 Fan

cheers only just got back in to playing mine, had an accident damaged a nerve in my hand
just got made redundant because of it
Old 30th June 2011, 07:53 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Burden of shame

I played a TD20 when i bought my (somewhat lesser of a kit) TD4.

Some great sounds in there.

Must admit I like the mix of acoustic and electronic - too much electronic can take something away that I miss...
Old 4th July 2011, 03:08 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
the basic kit i play live is acoustic.

acoustic bass drum, snare and cymbals. The electronics are added on top. I only use the roland for 3 toms. I have another 8 trigger pads that run off a sampler. that's mainly for loops.

I usually record acoustically, unless i think the track would sound better with a more electronic approach. like 'oh, america' on 24/7.

Hi there JB!

I'm your number 1 avid fan here in the philippines, and since you are my ultimate idol, I use a somewhat similar set-up with my band. though I'm quite new to the set-up and learning, does this mean that the loops come from you triggering them? and when you say your trigger pads run off a sampler, what does it exactly mean?

please bear with my neophyte questions... you are the ultimate sir!
Old 4th July 2011, 04:26 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Uh oh, Bernie/Stan has a rival

They won't like it one little bit