Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 12th June 2013, 10:10 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
by far one of my favs. Very organic, and a much needed change from the electronic homegrown. Good songs on homegrown, but love that that earl went back to the bass guitar, love the horns, and JJ's not to bad on it as well.

I hear clips from the new album on youtube from an interview that BT gave and it too has a very organic feel to it. looking way forward to the new stuff.

Well spotted Aaron. you're absolutely right, WYFF was a conscious effort to go back to basics. Organic is right. We wrote all the songs acoustically. This was a conscious effort to create a different sound to the last couple of albums, which were heavily electronic. 24/7 and LOL4 were a combination of both, with organic drums and bass and the use of sequences and digital sounds on top.

The new album, GOTS, is more organic and less electronic than the last 2. All the drums were recorded live in the studio, and it's all bass guitar with no keyboard bass this time. I think, because we are performing songs from another genre, it was important to stay faithful to the spirit of reggae music and not water things down. We are reinterpreting the songs as reggae songs. It would be very wrong to try and adapt reggae to country music, it had to be the other way round.

Personally [and i am definitely NOT a country fan] I think it works really well. And BT's contribution to writing the original songs are some of my favorite tracks.

looking forward to your opinion Aaron.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:14 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Oi... I didn't say "Beetle juice, beetle juice, beetle juice"

Old 13th June 2013, 12:35 PM
UB40 Band Member

Fi.
In the interest of clarity.

Exactly how is it possible for someone to haunt the UNDEAD !! ???
Old 13th June 2013, 01:05 PM
UBloonie

its one of my favourite albums too because it does have a more organic sound, I love that its not been too played about with post production. I love the backwards horns on Plenty more though. I remember going to a music festival in Ireland in 2003 and I had just bought an mp3 player that only had 128mbs worth of storage on, so this album was the only thing I had too listen too for 3 days, proves how good it is as I didnt get bored of it. It went down well with the group of Belgian backpackers/ students I befriended at Co. Laois railway station, we listened to it on some speakers and drank moonshine for 8 hours waiting for the train back to Dublin.