Old 11th June 2009, 08:30 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjo
Everybody is entitled to their opinion but I honestly think that all of this has been covered many times before on here and only leads to a slanging match
Exactly Mags. How many more times are we going to have to regurgitate it? As was mentioned yesterday by the good Doctor, and me, it is time to move on.

Support who you want to but please, do it quietly.
Old 11th June 2009, 08:42 AM
Extra Super Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Waltjo

We have had good vibes on here recently but always have to have a fly in the ointment

~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Old 11th June 2009, 08:55 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

JC I respect your opinion. I respect the opinion of anyone who chooses to support both Ali and UB40. I do feel however that people should also respect the opinion of those of us that choose NOT to support both. I for one won't be buying Ali's album or going to his gigs. I would never try to suggest that he doesn't have a great voice, I adored it for years. But Ali lost my respect the moment he lost his own self respect and embarked on his media driven attack on UB40. If he had gone and stuck to his own thing and just got on with it I would have felt differently. But that fact that he's trying to drag UB40 down with his failing career makes it impossible for me to find any respect for him. I do feel that there have been too many of the Ali V UB40 and Ali fans v UB40 fans posts on here though. Maybe it would be better just to let everyone get on with their own thing without starting it all up again. It had just gotten nice on here again.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:15 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorse
JC I am one person who will not be spending hard earned money on Ali CD's, DVD's when they are finally released. I also won't be parting with my money for gig tickets. Yes he does have a wonderful voice and always has.

I have trouble with how betrayed I felt in Feb '08. You mention honesty, this is something I have a very big issue with, I might not like what people have to say or agree with it, as long as you are being honest with me, everything is good. On the otherhand the minute I find out or feel, you are being dishonest or sneaky, I wipe my hands with that person.

I don't have a problem with anyone continuing to support both UB40 and Ali, that's entirely upto them. Just not my choice.
I second this...yes,Ali does have an amazing voice and always will have but so does Duncan!
Its UB40 as a whole that does it for me and I have no intention of supporting or funding Alis solo efforts.
If he hadn't left and shit on them all from a great height like he did then yes I may have considered going to one concert?
But like I said its UB as a whole that I'm interested in & I will never stray far from that fold

http://www.freegarytyler.com/
Old 11th June 2009, 10:18 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena
JC I respect your opinion. I respect the opinion of anyone who chooses to support both Ali and UB40. I do feel however that people should also respect the opinion of those of us that choose NOT to support both. I for one won't be buying Ali's album or going to his gigs. I would never try to suggest that he doesn't have a great voice, I adored it for years. But Ali lost my respect the moment he lost his own self respect and embarked on his media driven attack on UB40. If he had gone and stuck to his own thing and just got on with it I would have felt differently. But that fact that he's trying to drag UB40 down with his failing career makes it impossible for me to find any respect for him. I do feel that there have been too many of the Ali V UB40 and Ali fans v UB40 fans posts on here though. Maybe it would be better just to let everyone get on with their own thing without starting it all up again. It had just gotten nice on here again.
Well said Helena
Old 11th June 2009, 11:11 AM
Über UBLoonie

i respect you're opinion, and that of anyone else, whether they support, ali, ub40 or both, ali has an amazing voice, there's no doubt about that, but for me personaly duncan is better, thats just my opinion
have to say, even though i've been a fan from the beginning i have never loved ali or anyone else in the band, i've just loved the end product, that to me is what's really important, not who takes the stage but the great music they produce, for nearly 30 years ali was a vital part, but no more vital than anyone else in the band
i made my decision not to support ali long before i or most of us knew what was happening, my decision back then was based purely on music, i always quite liked "big love" and was looking forward to the release of "running free" i bought it the day it came out, took it home played it once and threw it in the bin, for me it was one of the worst pieces of music i had ever heard, but that's just my opinion, i know there are people who like and even love the album, i respect that, we all have different tastes
then i found out how ali and his people had been behaving, and continue to behave, like many this tore away any respect i had for him, and my respect for ub40 kept growing and continues to do so, they could have easily gone on a press rampage to give their side of the story, but they've decided to let their fans know whats what on the official website, the only press they did do was with the mirror after months and months of being asked, they finally gave in
ub40 have done what ali should have made the most of a difficult situation came back stronger, and concentrated on what really matters......the music and they have to be credited with that, they have in my opinion become a far better band and group of friends than they have ever been, certainly in recent years and a large part of that is down to the contributions of tony and duncs
if ali sorts himself out and once again becomes the person he once was then i would wish him well and good luck with whatever he does, but my loyalty and support will always be with ub40 the band of friends, never with any one individual
Old 11th June 2009, 12:48 PM
Über UBLoonie

No doubt Ali has a great voice but this is only reflected in how good the songwriting, arrrangements, instrumentation and production is.

I'm not sure how Ali's new band etc can replicate the way the UBs musicianship worked with his voice woith over 30 years of experience.

I'm sure Ali's band are all fine and able musicians in their own right but in no way can they be as good substitutes as BT/JB/RBC etc who have written and arranged songs suited to his voice.

How many chart hit records have the 'DEP band' written and how much input do they have on the new album; do they have any songwriting or production credits or in reality are just hired hands??

UB40 are now different and so is Ali (musically) but I think the vitriol unleashed on his former band members reflects poorly on him and his management team effectively alienated his natural core fanbase - The Loonies.

UB40 are more than just a band (to most of us) but also a set of values and integrity which Ali sadly chose to to insult.......

The worst aspect of all this is the failure to follow through on the accusations/allegations he levelled at the band and 'management'.
He should have either SUBSTANTIATED with the proof he said was in his possession or REPUDIATED it saying there was. The mudslinging has done the reputation of anyone involved no good whatsoever least of all himself!!

As has been said before had he focussed hs energies on his new music he would have had more respect and continued support and even adulation from us here......

If loonies want to support either of the UBs or Ali or both then it should not be an issue for any of us.

If we take the p*** out of him here people should bear in mind we do the same regarding Brian, Jimmy, Robin etc.By and large it is tongue in cheek and not done with malice.

Remember BT has said more than once:

THEY DON'T TAKE THEMSELVES SERIOUSLY BUT THEY DOTAKE THE MUSIC SERIOUSLY

So why shouldn't we do the same??

Saad
Old 11th June 2009, 01:00 PM
UBloonie

..whatever
Old 11th June 2009, 04:09 PM
UBloonie

Default Re: being honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by style jc
,for me ali is a ledgend and in my eyes he made the band and i think u all no that,come on think back if ali was not in the band and u did not here his voice u no how u felt.
yes ali has a fantastic voice, but he's not what made the band FOR ME. if i have to pick just one member it would be Robin that drew me into ub40, but it isn't one member FOR ME. it's the sound of ub40. i've never been a big fan of his solo stuff, i've got both albums, but i almost never listen to them, and on running free it's "hold me tight" and "devoted to u" (surprise, surprise!) that i listen to, and that's because the music doesn't have the same ?depth/?completeness (can't describe it!)

Quote:
i have seen peeps slag other loonies,i just felt it was time that the real loonies be honest with them selfs,
i think you'll find loonies only get "slagged off" when they slag ub's off and are nasty about it. i'm sure the boys don't mind constructive criticism but when people come on here and say duncan's rubbish and shouldn't be singing, and ub are nothing without ali, then i think they deserve to be slagged off. for 1 it's complete and utter rubbish, and 2 ali chose to leave so what were ub's supposed to do?

Quote:
also if u have nothing good to say please dont say anything
i think if ali followed this little piece of advice then these discussions would never happen, and he'd have the respect and support of a lot more people than he does.

Quote:
,also lets not forget ali is robins brother while alot of u put ali down on the bb,i dont think u would like if someone put ur brother down online just because there famous its easy to put them down,wrong there still brothers.think about it.
true, but robin does read and write on this forum and he could very easily tell people to stop but he hasn't. i guess that's partly because ali keeps slagging ub40 off and has also very publicly (far more publicly than this bb!) tried to defame him and duncan. i think that would be far, far, far worse than anything a few fans might say about his brother on a bb....
Old 11th June 2009, 06:45 PM
UB40 Band Member

What a boring waste of time these kind of posts are. Don't know why people think we need the benefit of their wisdom.
Ali left nearly 2 years ago.
Since then UB's have continued to do what they always do. Entertain by playing reggae music. We have done countless gigs since Ali's departure. Even started picking up a younger audience, particularly in the States.
As a performer the test is whether the audience have responded positively to the changes, and I have to say that the audience response has been phenomenal, as enthusiastic as ever. In fact, in this last year, the audience have been MORE enthusiastic than before. Fans know that you come out of a UB's show feeling high on music, and this is more true today than at any other time in our careers.
So what , exactly do we miss?
My answer, from a live point of view, is nothing.
It's time people moved on. Posts like this are completely pointless. If style jc doesn't like UB40 any more, fair enough. But we are still delivering a great live show. So nothing, for us, has really changed. Ali , on the other hand, is having problems finding a band that can deliver. For musicians to put all they have into their performances, like UB's do, ali is going to have to pay his session band a lot more than he is paying them at the moment.