Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 21st August 2013, 06:58 AM
UBNewbie

Send a message via MSN to dukeofnapier
Default Question for Pikey on Alto sax

Greetings Pikey,
I have been playing some of the UB Horn tunes on Both Tenor and Alto,
I can clearly hear on the tracks as to what Brian is Playing on Tenor but It is not always clear as to what the alto part is actually doing?

I presume your normally playing a harmony part
Are you normally playing thirds in the Horn lines?

What is the general structure of the Harmony within the Horns?
I guess it's normally Lawrence on the Tonic then where does your part fit?

Duke
Old 21st August 2013, 03:07 PM
UB40 Band Member

Hi Duke, I am just back from soundcheck here in Marbella. A good question and one that would be answered differently, depending on song, player, arranger etc. Basically, some harmonies are obvious, sometimes unisons are simply all that is required. When it comes to the bands harmonies, 3rds are used, 4th's at times and 7th's and 9th's if the listeners, players ears are open to them. However, in harmony, we have contrary motion, similar motion, parallel motion and oblique motion. Even though these terms are used a lot in classical music the system often applies. What I mean is that, we may start a line in 3rds, but end the last few notes in unisons or 4th's etc to give PUNCH. Sometimes diatonically, 3rds and others won't hold/track all the way through the passage; especially some of Brian's more elaborate passages, Rainbow Nation, a good example here. My advice and the way we mainly do it, is by ear and what sounds best. If you have an idea of the sound in your head first that certainly helps. Mainly have fun, move the harmonies around on different instruments. Laurence for instance may not just take the tonic. It does not start like that, in fact Brian normally has an idea of the distribution in advance. If Laurence plays a tonic, there will in most cases be another harmony layered. Again sometimes just powerful unison, octaves apart. I hope that helps.
P x

Last edited by pp; 21st August 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 21st August 2013, 03:39 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp View Post
Hi Duke, I am just back from soundcheck here in Marbella. A good question and one that would be answered differently, depending on song, player, arranger etc. Basically, some harmonies are obvious, sometimes unisons are simply all that is required. When it comes to the bands harmonies, 3rds are used, 4th's at times and 7th's and 9th's if the listeners, players ears are open to them. However, in harmony, we have contrary motion, similar motion, parallel motion and oblique motion. Even though these terms are used a lot in classical music the system often applies. What I mean is that, we may start a line in 3rds, but end the last few notes in unisons or 4th's etc to give PUNCH. Sometimes diatonically, 3rds and others won't hold/track all the way through the passage; especially some of Brian's more elaborate passages, Rainbow Nation, a good example here. My advice and the way we mainly do it, is by ear and what sounds best. If you have an idea of the sound in your head first that certainly helps. Mainly have fun, move the harmonies around on different instruments. Laurence for instance may not just take the tonic. It does not start like that, in fact Brian normally has an idea of the distribution in advance. If Laurence plays a tonic, there will in most cases be another harmony layered. Again sometimes just powerful unison, octaves apart. I hope that helps.
P x
Exactly what I was going to say Martin, it's nice to see a fellow musician that really knows his stuff!
Old 22nd August 2013, 05:32 AM
UBNewbie

Send a message via MSN to dukeofnapier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp View Post
P x
Thanks so much for your response, I will indeed have a play around and try and listen out for those 7th and 9ths in passages and phrases as well as of course other harmonies used, All the best to you and the rest of the UB's. Duke