Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 19th August 2014, 11:23 AM
UB40 Band Member

There's talk of adding something REALLY old to the set, but you know I can't give anything away yet OL.

When we first put those 20 or so gigs on sale last year we didn't really know what was going to happen. Turns out there is still a big audience out there for UB40. The demand was so strong that we put another 20-plus dates for sale later this year. And they are selling out too. Exciting times for UB40. And with radio 2 playing our new album, and even making it record of the week. It means that it is the first time for over 10 years that UB40 have had any NEW material played on radio.

Our ex singer has been watching all this. He has been unable to book a tour under his own name since he left the band and cancelled his first solo arena tour. And with his ex band selling strongly OVER SEVEN YEARS after he left, it must have been very frustrating and upsetting for him.

But to book gigs around our tour using OUR name is fraudulent. He has misled our fans and essentially STOLEN money from them.

We have countless examples of interviews where he said he was proud to be aldi campbell and his 'dep' band. refusing to use the name UB40, even though he was under pressure from promoters to use the name. In his recent appearance on celebrity 'pointless' [very apt :smoking:] he didn't want to talk much about UB40, and plugged his new band.

For a few months earlier this year our ex singer fraudulently used the name of his ex band to sell tickets for his live show. Several thousand people have been conned into buying tickets thinking they were seeing UB40.

That's what's know in the trade as a RIP OFF !!!
Old 19th August 2014, 11:41 AM
UBloonie

am i close then jim wink wink
Old 19th August 2014, 01:09 PM
UB40 Band Member

I know you don't really want me to spoil any surprises do you OL ???

Summing up, I'd like to give a little advice to team aldi.

I understand that our ex singer will always find eager journalists willing to promote his story. He is using the currency of scandal and private feuds that plays straight into the hands of todays obsession with 'celebrity'. His management know that this is a way of getting millions of pounds worth of free promotion. That's why every interview is dominated by gossip, tittle tattle and airing his dirty linen in public.

He's playing the tabloid celebrity game. This celebrity culture is set up to promote scandal, egotism and individuals spilling their guts in public. Very often with the willing participation of 'celebrities' who live those dysfunctional lives, and don't mind publicising it because they can make money from it.

But it's a double-edged sword.

It can make your dreams come true, but it can also lead to ruin.

And history is littered with casualties of the immoral tabloid monster. Even kings and queens have fallen victim of the powerful 4th estate.

UB40 will never be able to compete with our ex singer in this celebrity culture. Just basic practical things like, it's much easier to interview one or two people than it is half a dozen. So tabloids and TV will always go for the single lead individual over a random choice from half a dozen interchangeable band members. And when we DO have interviews we refuse to dish the dirt, which is just wasting there time.

Our ex singer will always outperform his old band when it comes to tabloid publicity.

I think his management probably see that as an advantage. But I think they are wrong.

Most fans of UB40, particularly fans of our early songs, detest celebrity as much as WE do. They avoid it, which isn't that difficult. The world doesn't revolve around that sort of tabloid gossip. They don't read the ScUM or the mail or the daily star. And the people that DO read and watch that stuff don't necessarily buy tickets to gigs. REAL music lovers don't get their influences from the pages of OK magazine.
Old 19th August 2014, 01:34 PM
UBloonie

as long as all the other tracks are not given the heave ho jim especially the original ub penned tracks but also the lol 4 & GOTS tracks should all stay, so not sure what if any can be dropped.
Old 19th August 2014, 02:03 PM
UBloonie

1, this very subject was covered only a few weeks ago...and..

2. who wants to place a bet on if and when he ends up in celebrity big brother...

im more than happy to give his music a fair listen,, but as for the rest..its getting a bit silly.

so ali should just get on with his life, and do his music, and stop slagging his brothers off.
tho i get the feeling a lot of this nonsense comes from his hangers on...
and he just goes along with it...
Old 19th August 2014, 02:56 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quite right mr GF.

And it's funny you should mention 'hangers on'.

Do you know where that expression comes from ??

Apparently, back in the days when we used to have public hangings, there was a time when the hangman used a shorter rope. This meant that there was no guarantee that the prisoner would die quickly. He could hang there for minutes still alive [the rope length was eventually lengthened to hasten a quicker death].

So the poor hapless criminal would have to pay the fattest youth he could find to hang on to his feet to make sure he's not hanging around too long.

This shows that there is a sinister edge to the idea of 'hangers on'. Something damaging and parasitic.

The expression suits some of the people around our ex singer perfectly.
Old 19th August 2014, 03:32 PM
UBloonie

i have not got a problem with people who like someone or idolise them (its normally teenagers or old women) but when they still think its ok even when its blatently obvious that there is a wrong doing that those same teens/older cant see the glare staring right at them.
Old 19th August 2014, 06:26 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
as long as all the other tracks are not given the heave ho jim especially the original ub penned tracks but also the lol 4 & GOTS tracks should all stay, so not sure what if any can be dropped.

don't worry OL.

We made a conscious effort to concentrate on tracks that we have made since our singer left. half the set is made up of songs that were originally sung by dunc or normy or RBC or earl. And the other half are really old songs from before LOL.

Those songs won't change.

We have consciously cut down on the cover hits and put mostly our own songs in their place. The audience seem to love the new [and really old] songs. I don't think cutting down on the singalong hits hasn't done us any harm at all. We're not trying to chase past glories. We want it to stay fresh and try new things.

Our ex singer has been emphasising the fact that he plays 'all the hits'. Which is exactly what he was always moaning about just before he left the band. And how much he was enjoying his solo career now that he was 'out from under'. We had been flogging those hits to death a long time before he left the band. Now he's back to doing the same thing again.
Old 19th August 2014, 06:46 PM
UBloonie

That is funny that Ali left, complaining about the old hits, but now he's acting as though he's the champion of those old hits and everyone should come hear him perform them! lol

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 19th August 2014, 06:54 PM
UB40 Band Member

Ironic isn't it matt ??

I think it shows that he is only really interested in the casual, middle-of-the-road fans that loved red red wine and can't help falling. I imagine, in his head, he thinks he can recall the 'glory days' of number one smash hits around the world.

But the music business has changed. Everything is a lot more fragmented. And record sales have tanked business wide, not just for us.
Closed Thread