Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 8th May 2014, 11:54 PM
UB40 Band Member

That was the approach we took with this new set. We wanted to show all the different aspects of the band. Reggae music is diverse. It can be spiritual, political, fun and romantic. The bands back catalogue reflects that. There are the darker tunes like one in ten or don't let it pass you by, party songs like boom Shaka, and easy snapping. And light romantic ones like Kingston town. There's room for all that and more, the mistake is to let LOL songs dominate. Cutting down on the hits and concentrating on more obscure tracks has turned out to be a good move. The fans certainly seem to appreciate it. And the band have a sense of pride getting up there and performing our own songs. We really enjoyed this tour. We're confident that the technical side of things are top quality. The sound is nice and clear, the band are playing great, the lights are well choreographed, the movement on stage really works well too. Looking forward to doing a whole load more later on in the year.
Old 9th May 2014, 12:22 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
That was the approach we took with this new set. We wanted to show all the different aspects of the band. Reggae music is diverse. It can be spiritual, political, fun and romantic. The bands back catalogue reflects that. There are the darker tunes like one in ten or don't let it pass you by, party songs like boom Shaka, and easy snapping. And light romantic ones like Kingston town. There's room for all that and more, the mistake is to let LOL songs dominate. Cutting down on the hits and concentrating on more obscure tracks has turned out to be a good move. The fans certainly seem to appreciate it. And the band have a sense of pride getting up there and performing our own songs. We really enjoyed this tour. We're confident that the technical side of things are top quality. The sound is nice and clear, the band are playing great, the lights are well choreographed, the movement on stage really works well too. Looking forward to doing a whole load more later on in the year.
Well said, Jimmy! Any hopes of an American tour this year?

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 9th May 2014, 02:03 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
But that was before he turned into rasta mouse...
i'm still laughing at this almost 2 days later!
Old 9th May 2014, 02:33 AM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
...And when we recorded songs like love is all or don't let it pass you by aldi hadn't developed his suburban-white boy-wishes-he was-black, faux-yardie accent BETTER !!

No, no Roger.....this is the funniest damned line
Old 9th May 2014, 04:28 AM
UBloonie

Major Thanks for your perspective Jimmy and thanks to all for the comments on this thread. Can't add too much more except to say this is an exciting period in UB40's history. You guys are on fire for sure and we cannot wait to see you on tour one of these days. Whether the coming albums and singles are originals, covers or in combination stylee with various artists, etc, the real sound of UB40 is alive and well. Doubters, haters, what or whomever need to know this. Promoters and venues all over the world too if they haven't yet heard. What Duncan and Tony have brought to the stage is wonderful. Duncan's excellent voice and enthusiasm speaks for itself. Tony's great playing combined with his joy and energy are very apparent. The whole of UB40 is better than ever!
Peace,
Bagga.......
Old 9th May 2014, 09:10 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggariddim View Post
Major Thanks for your perspective Jimmy and thanks to all for the comments on this thread. Can't add too much more except to say this is an exciting period in UB40's history. You guys are on fire for sure and we cannot wait to see you on tour one of these days. Whether the coming albums and singles are originals, covers or in combination stylee with various artists, etc, the real sound of UB40 is alive and well. Doubters, haters, what or whomever need to know this. Promoters and venues all over the world too if they haven't yet heard. What Duncan and Tony have brought to the stage is wonderful. Duncan's excellent voice and enthusiasm speaks for itself. Tony's great playing combined with his joy and energy are very apparent. The whole of UB40 is better than ever!
Peace,
Bagga.......
Couldn't have put it better myself. Brilliant

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU’VE BEEN TANGO’D

I am a Loonie once more!!!!!
Old 9th May 2014, 12:47 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Burden of shame

Putting aside preference for Ali or Dunc, I do find it genuinely fascinating how Ali's voice changed over the first few albums.

I agree 100% that for SO and Present Arms, it could almost have been Dunc on vox and you wouldn't have known the difference.

As as listener, I think it was around UB44 that the sound started to change, and a distinct difference between the two started to emerge.

I remember (it was 6 years ago today!) that we got to see the guys rehearse with Dunc, and I remember how good Food for thought blended vocally with Robin and Dunc.

Interesting how the voices developed over time. As people have already said, I think it's a matter of preference in terms of the vocal sound that each of the brothers creates.
Old 9th May 2014, 01:29 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
i'm still laughing at this almost 2 days later!
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
No, no Roger.....this is the funniest damned line
Love both lol.Jimmy is the Joan Rivers of reggae
Old 9th May 2014, 01:55 PM
UB40 Band Member

Funnily enough, I call my youngest Joan rivers because she's got such a bad mouth. Can't think where she got that from

I thought calling fun-boy-three's version of reggae music a cover of "dreadlock holiday" was pretty low down, but nobody picked up on that one.

I'm definitely in touch with my inner bitch
Old 9th May 2014, 03:38 PM
UBloonie

apart from the first lol album thats when the obvious change took place but it was great but the St Andrews gig was vocally poor but it was a large outdoor gig and it was superb the whole atmosphere and occasion just took the show towards ub40 greatness. But over the years i have listened back to that gig and although it was a long time ago he was singing croaky which is understandable at times but lyrically i could not understand what was coming out of his mouth.