Old 21st April 2014, 07:13 PM
UBloonie

Question Vinyl Revival?

Lately in the news there has been a lot of talk about the return of vinyl records. In my day vinyl records generated a community of music lovers; who would congregate at the local records shops to listen to all the latest choons.

Although convenient, downloading is impersonal and trying to find a shop that sells a range of CD music genres is virtually non existent.

I have to say vinyl still gets my vote. Are there any loonies out there who still have some favourite vinyls in their possession?
Old 21st April 2014, 08:16 PM
UBloonie

I spent years chasing down all the UB back catalogue singles in vinyl. It feels more like an event when you play them, much more personal than CD or MP3.

I noticed a few bands were releasing specials on vinyl this year, any chance the band could do this next year?
Old 21st April 2014, 08:53 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

I was reading something recently about hip-hop group Wu Tang Clan who have recorded a top secret album and will released just ONE copy which they will sell to the highest bidder.
They believe it will sell in the millions range therefore afterwards when it becomes readily available as a "free" download it won't effect their income.

This is possibly the way forward for artists to make a profit from a record in the future. Sell the master copy to the highest bidding label. Once the cheque has cleared it won't matter if it's then bootlegged by downloaders.

Sorry to drift off track tho Queen V, yes still love to collect vinyl, I have some classic Lee Perry Black Ark singles that I treasure.
Old 21st April 2014, 09:02 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Yes Vern, many vinyl grooves and a good few white labels limited pressings etc.
My collection fills a flight box and two regular size boxes.
Most of my money went on records , and am lucky to have kept up with every 12" , album and remixes of Ub40 along the way.

Still have record deck hooked up and love to see a revival!

oLdbOi
Old 21st April 2014, 09:21 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niggy_Dawg View Post
I was reading something recently about hip-hop group Wu Tang Clan who have recorded a top secret album and will released just ONE copy which they will sell to the highest bidder.
They believe it will sell in the millions range therefore afterwards when it becomes readily available as a "free" download it won't effect their income.

This is possibly the way forward for artists to make a profit from a record in the future. Sell the master copy to the highest bidding label. Once the cheque has cleared it won't matter if it's then bootlegged by downloaders.

Sorry to drift off track tho Queen V, yes still love to collect vinyl, I have some classic Lee Perry Black Ark singles that I treasure.
No apology needed Niggy, it's great when the thread opens up different ideas; especially about how vinyl can be used to benefit artists. They deserve to earn more for the time, energy and hardwork they put into making albums. The concept you mentioned is a really interesting way of selling music to the public, without losing out on downloads.
Old 21st April 2014, 09:22 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambsbread View Post
I spent years chasing down all the UB back catalogue singles in vinyl. It feels more like an event when you play them, much more personal than CD or MP3.

I noticed a few bands were releasing specials on vinyl this year, any chance the band could do this next year?
What a great idea. I'm not sure if there are cost implications but it would be nice to commemorate 35 years since the release of their first album.
Old 21st April 2014, 09:26 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niggy_Dawg View Post

i read about the wu tang, story, i think its great, but they are not the 1st to do it... french synth wizard jean micheal jarre did it in 1981, when he made a record called "music for supermarkets" ( i know nice name) and only pressed 1 version, then destroyed all the master tapes and the acetate/test pressing..
Old 21st April 2014, 09:29 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oLdbOi View Post
Yes Vern, many vinyl grooves and a good few white labels limited pressings etc.
My collection fills a flight box and two regular size boxes.
Most of my money went on records , and am lucky to have kept up with every 12" , album and remixes of Ub40 along the way.

Still have record deck hooked up and love to see a revival!

oLdbOi
My records are in parents and sister's lofts due to moving out of town. However I do have a record player but I don't think it works and a Jim Reeves's album which managed to follow me. I would like to get my collection together again at some point.
Old 21st April 2014, 09:59 PM
Über UBLoonie

In my household we all collect vinyl. Besides myself and Bagga, our two daughters ages 15 and 17 collect as well. We buy new vinyl and old. Not only do we collect, we also have record players and listen to them as well. My 17 year old especially, she loves vinyl. Just last night I went in her room to say goodnight, she was in bed listening to an album on vinyl. As I was about to leave the room it ended and she asks me to turn the record over for her so she wouldn't have to get out of bed

On Saturday we attended Record Store Day which is an international event celebrated at independent record stores. There are special record store day only releases on that day each year. They are highly collectible and sell out within a couple hours of the store opening. The line was around the block to get in. I'm so thankful to have Amoeba Records in San Francisco just 45 minutes away from my home. It's a huge record store and I always find some wonderful treasure when I'm there.

Back in 2008 UB40 released a limited number of 24/7 albums on vinyl. I got mine but I haven't ever played it. It's still sealed up.

I'm glad there's a huge appreciation for vinyl still. It really makes listening to music a true event. Long live vinyl!

Jolene

Check out Midnight Sun Massive!
www.midnightsunmassive.com
http://www.facebook.com/midnightsunband?sk=wall
Old 21st April 2014, 11:57 PM
UBloonie

I love vinyl as well. I just noticed that Books-A-Million near my house is selling new vinyl records. Some of the prices are expensive, but can't blame them...even though they are coming back, vinyl sales still lag WAY far behind the other formats.

Since I am a musician, I have been studying recent sales in music. Here is a comparison from the top selling albums in all formats from 2013. Note: These sales reflect sales in the US.

Top selling CD album in 2013: Just Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience - 1,381,000

Top digital album: Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience - 1,026,000

Top vinyl album: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - 49,000 copies

So....as you can see...vinyl still has a way to go....but at least it's doing better. Even though sales are still pretty low...they are on the uptick. Glad to see that, and I look forward to adding more vinyl to my collection! Also glad to see that CD's are still selling around the same amount as digital copies when it comes to albums. Though I bet the same cannot be said for singles...

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'