Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 17th November 2014, 04:04 PM
UB40 Fan

Default a late Worthing review

This review is a bit late, sorry, had to wait until I could get on a computer at work, but thought I would share my experience with youÖÖ
UB40 Worthing 13.11.2014.
We travelled by train for a change, from Redditch to Worthing. 4 changes. Left about 8.15am and arrived just before 3.00pm: Redditch, Birmingham, Euston, Victoria, Brighton and Worthing! Quite an adventure, but worth it to see UB40.
On arrival, dropped our bag off at the Hotel, and I had to put my mobile on charge! Had been face booking along the way, and getting lovely comments from other UB40 friends! We had a walk around to find the venue and get our bearings. Venue only 10 minutes walk from Hotel. Went to the pier and had a look at the sea, very choppy and windy, but it is November! Had a nice cream tea on the pier. A talented young man played the piano whilst we tucked into our scones and cuppa. More walking around in the wind (not good for the old hairdo). Ended up in a pub for a drink (as you do). Time was getting on. I like to queue early, HAVE to be at the front at a UB40 gig! So left the other half (Rob) in the pub whilst I nipped back to hotel to get my mobile as would need it later. On way back, in all the excitement, I wasnít 100% sure which pub Iíd left him in, but whilst looking I bumped into Duncan and Laurence! I should have followed them, because when I got to correct pub, there they were with Brian! After encouragement from hubby, I went over to say hi and ask for a photo. HOW GENEROUS AND KIND IS MR TRAVERS!! Brian suggested he add me to the guest list, so that I could meet the whole band after the gig and take photos then! He also took time to chat to me and Rob and bought us both a drink. So a big thank you for that to Brian, and Paul Hunter too, for adding me on the list. It meant I could collect one of those prestigious gold wrist bands for after the show! I managed to get to the front of the stage too.
It wasnít long before Alex Gold-Dub did us proud and got us in the mood with some great reggae tunes. Have to say, this was my fourth UB40 gig this year, and each time Alex has just got better and better. He interacts with the crowd much more now, which we all enjoyed along with the music!
There was a door open at the side of the stage. You could see band members walking past! Laurence and Brian both popped their heads through and gave us a big wave! I little later we spotted that Robin was there and we waved and he waved back!
I am fascinated by all the stage preparation. Loads of toing and froing of the crew. The attention to detail, the checking of all the instruments. Robinís guitars get an awful lot of attention - good old Animal! Set lists duly positioned! It all adds to the excitement whilst youíre waiting for the show to start!
Alex all packed away, received much appreciation from the audience. Not long now and its UB40ís turn! Then Present Arms begins, we see Jimmy first, followed by Earl, then the others follow. Brian, Martin, and Laurence come to the front of the stage; I just love the brass section to PA! Goose bumps or what! Then Duncan comes on and off we go. Oh WOW! I just donít have the right words in me to do the guys justice, but they put on a cracking show! So talented, all of them, and I particularly love the set list just now, so many of my personal favourites on it. It was great in April, but now that Sing Our Own Song, Silent Witness, and Food for Thought are added, I love it even more! Loads of G.O.T.S. tracks, loads of brilliants old songs, just perfect! (Still loads of other favourites Iíd love included, but then theyíd never be off the stage!)
Love how they interact with us and each other. They all looked like they were really enjoying themselves and were happy to be performing for us, it shone through the music, and we all definitely enjoyed being on the receiving end!
Love how Martin and Laurence get us all waving to the chorus of Cherry Oh Baby.
Tony always looks like heís enjoying himself! Iíve spotted him do this sexy dance a couple of times now!
Love Early B doing Oh America. Love the bass, and lead guitars, love the drums and percussion, love the brass section, love the vocals & keyboards, love Duncanís and Normanís unique dance moves! Love the way Duncan winds Laurence up, as he blows out the amaziiiinnnnnglly loonnnggg last note through that trumpet of his! Love the whole caboodle, just amazing, great show guys, youíre just the best. Itís the best feeling in the world to be in the audience at a UB40 gig!
Hey, Robin noticed I knew all the words to Silent Witness, and said I could come again!! (Well, I think he was looking at me when he said!).
It was so very very hot in there for the audience, so I donít know how the guys manage on the stage under all those hot lights! Hats off to them. Brian dished out bottles of water again, and so too did the security men, which was very much appreciated I can tell you!
The only down side, is that it is all over, all too soon! The encore was fabulous, everyone sang along quite loudly towards the end! I always find I Canít Help Falling In Love With You quite emotional! You just donít want it to end. I will never ever tire of going to see UB40! Just an amazing time.
We hung around at the end and I was fortunate enough to acquire a Set List. I found the others privileged to have gold wrist bands and we waited for Paul to take us through to meet the guys. I was able to speak with Robin, Laurence, Martin, Brian, Duncan, Jimmy and Earl, but unfortunately missed Tony and Norman. (Well, I say speak. I am so pathetic! When Iím meeting someone I really admire, and think the world of, I get a tad nervous, and for some reason my brain turns to MUSH!! -Sorry). Alex was there too. Martin and Brian canít do enough for you! Bless um. Made sure I got my photos! Robin and Brian and Alex took them for me! Was offered food and drink, they are all so friendly and hospitable. Thank you guys so very much. My set list was duly signed, I didnít even have to ask, Robin started it off for me, and before I knew it, I had it back all signed! It is now in a frame at home. UB40 mean the world to me and it was an honour and privilege, and such a delight to meet them all. Dream Come True Stuff. I couldnít have asked for a better night!
I have two more tickets: Leamington and Llandudno. Then thatís me, skint until next year! (Theyíre worth every penny). Really looking forward to more UB magic!
BIG LOVE AND SINCERE THANKS FROM Lynnie XX
Old 17th November 2014, 04:53 PM
UBloonie

great review lynnie
Old 17th November 2014, 05:52 PM
UB40 Fan

great read Lynne...
Old 17th November 2014, 06:10 PM
UBloonie

Epic read Lynne, lol. A fantastic review. X
Old 17th November 2014, 06:26 PM
‹ber UBLoonie

That was a lovely read - felt it ..thanks Ho Hum oooooooOOOOOO
Old 17th November 2014, 06:56 PM
UB40 Fan

Smile

Well how can you top that, just being there at Worthing to see the guys on stage blew me away, but to meet them and all that no wonder you're waxing lyrical. Am I jealous or what..........
Old 17th November 2014, 08:15 PM
Super ‹ber UBloonie

Thanks, Now that's a great review lynne
Old 17th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Super ‹ber UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Nes B40

Now then that was a long exiting review awesome felt the exitment all the way thru it thanks for sharing.

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/nesbit_bucket/
Old 17th November 2014, 10:20 PM
UB40 Fan

thanks for that Lynne, glad you have more to come!!
Old 18th November 2014, 08:10 PM
UBloonie

Fantastic review Lyn, had me seating on the edge of my seat while reading. Wish Id been there too,you could have tried to squeeze me in your handbag