Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 28th August 2014, 06:11 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneillk View Post
Junkie said 80% of the crowd was disappointed that it was not the original Ub40,.
erm where did i say that?
Old 28th August 2014, 06:17 PM
UB40 Band Member

I don't think oneillk has got this reading thing worked out yet JRS.

They should pay more attention at school.

even a 5 yar old knows the difference between thinking you are watching UB40, and being disappointed with what your watching.

Maybe it's a freudian slip.

[I think they might have to ask teacher who freud was] :big wink:
Old 28th August 2014, 06:42 PM
UB40 Fan

Yes I'm actually getting bored with his silly arguments now...

Another story.. when they came here in Feb, the first I heard of it was when my cousin called to tell me 'UB40' were coming as she'd seen posters.. And she was SO excited because the posters had Aldi and Astro's picture, so she thought everyone had reunited. That was also the impression being given on radio etc... this WAS UB40.

When she called me she was convinced it was the real UB40, all together again. Imagine her disappointment when she found out the truth, she's been a long time fan and has gone with me to previous gigs here. Suffice to say, she didn't bother going to UBFraudy...
And I doubt she will ever forgive Aldi for raising her hopes like that.

Drunk, dancing people on oneillk's youtube clips don't mean anything to fans like her...
Old 28th August 2014, 07:39 PM
UB40 Band Member

It wouldn't bother me if we never have to play RITK ever again.[/QUOTE]

ive was reading the reviews of kate bush's show,, and yes a few people were moaning that she didnt do any of her big hits, but most didnt care..

when dexys came back, they toured playing the new album in full, with a few faves at the end, much like your signing off tour, but they did it with a new album, very brave move..but it worked..
even boy george mentioned the other day, when culture club gig again, they wont be playing some of the big hits..

the point is..

you dont have to play RRW, in fact you could easily drop CHFIL, for a start food for thought, is one of your most instantly recoqnisable tunes, but u dont play it that often, and, i got u babe was a massive no 1, and u dont play that either..

i think you guys have got to the point in your careers, where u can start taking a few more risks with the set list, more originals and less covers.
maybe even play present arms in full, and youd get away with it.
and true fans would pay to see it.. i would. thats 1 ticket sold.

people are looking for more than just an average play all the hits type of show, ok, some will moan, but whatever you do people will moan, so u might as well do a kevin rowland and do what the hell you like...

so go for it..[/QUOTE]

great post Mr GF.

The band have even dared to talk about a day when we don't have to play RRW

It's great to have hit records, but the audience for hits will move on to other hits soon enough. By definition they are not hardcore fans.

I think concentrating on 'playing all the hits' has alienated the hardcore fans of the band. And that's the road our ex singer has continued down.
Old 28th August 2014, 07:39 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via AIM to oneillk Send a message via MSN to oneillk

But the drunk dancing people are part of the 80% of the crowd you talking about, the same 80% that wouldn't of went if they new it was only Ali. Well he has won over most of them them then by the looks of it.

Perhaps you should put your specs on and take another look at the clips.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:30 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Quote:
But the drunk dancing people are part of the 80% of the crowd you talking about, the same 80% that wouldn't of went if they new it was only Ali. Well he has won over most of them them then by the looks of it.

It amazes me that you are still spending so much time on the website of a band you clearly dislike. I thought it was a phase you were going through but clearly not. Do you have somebody at home you could perhaps talk to about your issues?
Old 28th August 2014, 08:35 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:

why do i need to look at the clips when i was actually there and saw and heard a lot more than what your clips are showing?

and no, he didn't win anyone over, most of those people still don't know who they saw, they just assume it was UB40 'cause that's what the adverts proclaimed. Like JB said, they'd have been dancing if there was a tribute band on stage (actually there was, but that's besides the point)

So according to you, it is quite ok to defraud people as long as they sing and dance along and remain oblivious to the truth...

And by the way, there are people who were not happy and posted about it on FB, but they're been removed from history! All part of the con....
Old 28th August 2014, 08:37 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
It amazes me that you are still spending so much time on the website of a band you clearly dislike. I thought it was a phase you were going through but clearly not. Do you have somebody at home you could perhaps talk to about your issues?

don't put him off H.

he's the best advert for the intellectual superiority of the average UB40 fan.

the more silliness we get from aldi's side the better for us.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:41 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
why do i need to look at the clips when i was actually there and saw and heard a lot more than what your clips are showing?

and no, he didn't win anyone over, most of those people still don't know who they saw, they just assume it was UB40 'cause that's what the adverts proclaimed. Like JB said, they'd have been dancing if there was a tribute band on stage (actually there was, but that's besides the point)

So according to you, it is quite ok to defraud people as long as they sing and dance along and remain oblivious to the truth...

And by the way, there are people who were not happy and posted about it on FB, but they're been removed from history! All part of the con....

Pah.

as if 'being there' means you know more about it.

I trust oneillk's judgement because he 'saw a clip on youtube'. That's much more reliable.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:56 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
great post Mr GF.

The band have even dared to talk about a day when we don't have to play RRW

It's great to have hit records, but the audience for hits will move on to other hits soon enough. By definition they are not hardcore fans.

I think concentrating on 'playing all the hits' has alienated the hardcore fans of the band. And that's the road our ex singer has continued down.
I couldn't agree more, Jimmy. Though considering the fact that the "popular" tunes, let's call them that way, account for your presence in media, they are a big part of the expectations even of those "hardcore" fans willing to dip a big deeper in the band history and discover something new, non-standard.

To put it simple using an example: RRW, a great tune, easy to recognise, not really the one I'd like to hear on a gig in the first place but still..not hearing it would be a bit weird - I can't explain it better, it's a psychological thing. Don't get me wrong anyway
Closed Thread