Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 10th May 2014, 09:54 AM
UBloonie

Duncans voice is alot more subtle and definitely more soulful, I couldnt imagine Aldi delivering such an impassioned vocal as Dunx does on "on the other hand", I cant imagine also that his UBFRaudy Dep indentity crisis band can as expertly hide the flaws in his performance as much as you guys had too as they dont sound very rehearsed in the odd clip ive seen.

It does make me wonder about Mickey and Astro and the way they are treated after a gig now, I wonder does Aldi still slag them off for any mistakes made on stage?. If he does then why did they choose to join his band of chancers?. Astro may not be as fully aware if Aldi used to say it out of earshot, but Mickey must be totally deluded if it happened to his face.

But in terms of his voice changing, I first noticed around promises and lies, my uncle who is a big fan of the band from the early days used to do quite an accurate impression of the ever indecipherable Aldi singing the opening of Cant help falling in love, remarking "what happened?, sounds like hes been gargling petrol."

Still those days are behind, the band has changed for the better in my eyes, the recent set list being a prime example and seeing the band enjoy it on stage has been a real thrill for us the punters, at the recent Brum gig, I didnt even miss Astros presence, not even the toasting during RRW. It was a joy to hear some older tunes.
Old 10th May 2014, 10:32 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrClaypole View Post
But in terms of his voice changing, I first noticed around promises and lies,
Been listening to some of the older records the past few days*, and with this thread in mind I have to say the voice has already changed on UB44.. We just didn't notice it much back then I suppose....

* - I make compilation CDs to play in the car so I don't have to take my real CDs out. Seems the CD player has packed up somewhat, the Eject stopped working a few days ago,. Stuck inside is my UB40 Compilation #2, which I've now been listening to for 4 days solid, and seemingly its all I'm going to be listening to from now on
Old 10th May 2014, 12:22 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I think some people may have forgotten that OL.

In the last couple of tours before he left, going on stage with aldi was like pulling teeth. I remember well, sitting behind the kit during the show, willing the song he was murdering to finish quickly so that NORMY, earl or astro can take over and get some life back into the show. It was obvious he didn't want to be there. It would be up to songs like reggae music or Johnny too bad to turn the gigs around. He had become a liability.

We always had to compensate for his poor performances to some degree, for the first twenty years he was too drunk to remember his own name. So the band were used to carrying him when it came to live shows. But those last couple of tours were a real low point in the bands career.

Something had to happen, we couldn't continue like that.

Aldi leaving is probably the best thing all round. He wasn't happy, we were sick of compensating for his poor performances. So a parting of the ways should have been a new lease of life for both parties.

It gave us the opportunity to concentrate more on our own material, and writing new stuff for our live gigs. An opportunity to get away from the same old LOL hits we had been flogging to death. A chance to go back to our roots with the SO tour and this new set we are touring now. The fans response has been overwhelming which means that our instincts were right. With only a handful of LOL tracks, and half the set comprising of songs written and recorded AFTER aldi had left, we are doing things on our own terms. For us, embracing change has been a positive thing.

Our ex singer otoh is still plowing his way through the same old LOL singalong tracks he was so miserable doing before he left to do something "different". Obviously trying to chase the money rather than any kind of artistic satisfaction.
Quote:
When this particular set of musicians get together (me, earl, RBC, BT and NORMY), this is the sound we make. Mickey and the tambourine player didn't contribute to that creative process at all. They would overdub after the backing track had already been created by the very same people who are still writing ub40's music today. That was always the case from the very beginning. It's probably unnecessary to point out that, no matter how good the individual musicians, still the people MOST qualified to be us is. . . . . .er. . . . .US !

Ironically, we would never have been able to put this set together if we still had aldi on vocals. Can you imagine what that thin, nasally faux Jamaican voice would have done to songs like love is all ?

Back in those days aldi had a smooth, soulful voice. But that was before he turned into rasta mouse. Now, if we want to reproduce the sound of those early songs then dunc's the man for the job. He harmonizes with RBC the way aldi used to before he lost all the depth to his voice (twenty plus years of hysterical drunken screaming can do that to a voice). And when we recorded songs like love is all or don't let it pass you by aldi hadn't developed his suburban-white boy-wishes-he was-black, faux-yardie accent yet.

And no way would the band be playing as well as they are now with aldi, mickey and the tambourine player still in the line up. Aldi didn't have enough voice left to do the kind of extensive rehearsals you need to do to get to this level. One run through and it would be all over for the day. With dunc he'll go over and over things till he gets them right. Not only does he have a stronger, more agile voice, he's also willing to put the effort in to get things right. In other words, he's a PROFESSIONAL. He cares about the quality of the music and wants to do the best job he can for our fans. He has respect for the audience. Aldi was always a bit of an amateur, as you can see By the way he runs his own "career". It's all about take the money and run. Lying and wilfully confusing our fans so he can line his own pockets at the expense of the bands hard won live reputation.

When aldi left his old band he did it with the famous words "I can earn TEN times more without you c***s". He had convinced himself ( with the help of his ex groupie new wife) that the band was holding him back from fulfilling his destiny as a superstar.

Turns out that his amateurishness had been holding the band back creatively for years. Which is why, on the rare occasion that someone might suggest that things aren't they same as they used to be I say YES, your right, it's BETTER !!
JimbO

the truth. the whole truth. & nothing but the truth.

Old 10th May 2014, 07:17 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
If it's a choice between dunc recording great songs like blue eyes or forever in mind, and our ex singer and his tambourine players recent cover version of 10 CC's "dreadlock holiday" ("all di peepul dem love di reggy muuuusic"). Then I'll stick with dunc thanks.

mi don't like cricket.

Saad nice post.
Old 16th May 2014, 07:46 AM
UBloonie

just been listening to my live WYFF From Cardiff CD that i purchased and i can tell you it is vocally painful some songs more than others interstingly,Dont do the crime and Dont let it pass you by were awful, i might add that Robin had a cold which did not help as he could not cover The ex singers now whiney croaky voice. Even After Tonight was rough and you can tell a lot of studio enhancement went into making WYFF sound as good as it was because his voice was shot to pieces
Old 16th May 2014, 06:16 PM
Über UBLoonie

I think I first said Honey Coated voice ......this is just a well documented fact now .....but I can now add .....the true snakiest hips of UB40 .....just thinking about those legs ........ WELLLLLLLL....((swooning at thought)) ....
Old 16th May 2014, 06:50 PM
UBloonie

He is great aint he Nep, hips not my thing ya know but his voice is smoooooth