Old 20th April 2014, 02:00 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena
Default Wow Birmingham

Well that was another cracking night.

Was so jealous knowing the boys were playing my home city on Friday night and me not being there, so Saturday literally couldn’t come sooner for me.

Set off in the car to the venue, not actually having a clue where the venue was, only knowing the road, which is a very long road. It couldn’t be more obvious when I rounded the corner though and saw the humungous que going all the way down the road and round the corner (with some familiar faces right at the front of course). I bet that’s the biggest the venue has ever seen.

I was due to meet me Luce there at 8:30 but wanted to get there earlier so that there was plenty of time to find the place and park. Once I had found a spot in a very dodgy looking side road I made my way up to the venue. Positioned myself right at the back and waited for a while feeling like billy no mates, but soon saw SarahK making her way towards the back. She told me that Shaz, Tik and a couple of other loonies were in the pub next door, so rather than stand in the cold for hours and not even getting anywhere near the front as a result of it, I left Sarah in the que and headed round to the pub next door the venue.

Walked in pub and immediately saw Shaz, Tik, Morgs, JohnnyP from Bromsgrove, and Mr Sid who I had never met before. Was nice to catch up with everyone. I was driving so couldn’t really drink so stood there sipping pop. It got to 8:15 and the others didn’t look like they were planning on moving any time soon so I headed into the venue and found Luce shortly after. It was a really old but kind of grand venue, with a sizeable floor area and two balconies. There wasn’t chance of being able to see on the ground floor so we started off in the middle trying to see over peoples shoulders. A few songs in we thought we would try the top so headed up there, where Matt and Liz were (Robin’s son and daughter in law who is currently blooming in mid pregnancy). It was literally up in the rafters (we could touch the ceiling), but the view was brill so we settled down on one of the tiers and continued with the show. Of course we were soon up on our feet dancing, only to get told off by the security guy there. He was a bit of a Hitler to be honest. He said it was due to health and safety although we were really in no danger of hurting ourselves. Of course sitting all the way through the show just wasn’t an option, so we had to resort to a game of musical bumps, where we had to watch him out of the corner of our eye and hastily sit back down whenever he looked round. It wasn’t just us. There were plenty of others rebelling and doing the same. He would flash his torch at anyone he caught dancing, and order them back down. We even saw him physically push one girl back into here seat who objected to the silly rules. It got to the last but one song and more and more people were going against the rules, and he seemed to just give up in the end and disappeared down the stairs in a sulk. By the last song everyone was on their feet having the time of their lives.

So a bit about the show. Obviously my review from Glasgow said it all, and last night it was again a brilliant performance. The boys seemed to be having the time of their lives and were all dancing round having a ball. Their energy was infectious and the crowd just lapped it up. The sound was flawless and even the new numbers sounded completely polished. Duncan’s voice never ceases to amaze me. Again, the highlight for me was watchdogs and don’t let it pass you by.

All too soon it was over and we headed out to the bar where I had my one glass of fizz of the night. There was an after party where the drinking continued. Was lovely catching up with people and winding down after such a great gig. At 12:30 I thought I had better go seeing as I still had to go and search down the dodgy side roads for my car. Got in just after one and collapsed in bed. It’s sad to think that was my last gig for the time being. Really hope they don’t leave it too long before they’re back again. I know it won’t be long till I need my next fix.

Last edited by Helena; 20th April 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 20th April 2014, 02:22 PM
UBloonie

Wow what a review! Brilliant
Old 20th April 2014, 06:37 PM
UBloonie

Great review Helena.....think so many of us have enjoyed this tour. It's been a fab one x
Old 20th April 2014, 06:50 PM
UBloonie

brilliant review Heleena !
Old 20th April 2014, 07:38 PM
UBloonie

Fantastic review Helena, shame about Hilter but it sounds like you still had a brilliant night
Old 20th April 2014, 08:08 PM
UB40 Fan

Great review Helena!
Old 20th April 2014, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenv View Post
Fantastic review Helena, shame about Hilter but it sounds like you still had a brilliant night
Actually, it was Hitler that made it really funny. We were (very) over animatedly dancing and throwing shapes (including ones involving sticking two fingers of two hands up at him), every time he turned his back. Then sitting down like church mice, sitting on our hands, every time he looked around. It was hilarious. What we didnt realise was that RBC was watching us, and could see every silly action due to the fact we were right at the back, with the lights fully on us...
Bahahahahaaha How embarrassing!

But thanks to my bestest gig buddy Hels coz it's always a brilliant night out when Im with her at a show xxxx

Ive lost my voice from shouting and cheering so much.. what a bloody brilliant gig!

It was lovely seeing so many familiar and friendly faces. Wall to wall loonies and family and friends and neighbours. It was like being at a party!

UB40- Business as usual bringing it back home to Brum!
Old 20th April 2014, 09:29 PM
Über UBLoonie

LOL great review Helena, your description reminded me of that fairground game where heads pop out of holes an you have to bang them with a blobby hammer....the man sounds quite horrendous.....its a wonder Robin could keep up with you all in the rafters .....
One Day ...I shall see the boys in their home toon ...until then ...I shall live off all the lovely reviews .... Viva le UB40
Old 20th April 2014, 10:10 PM
UBloonie

Wot a fantastic nite.
You & Luci always have fun.
Live laugh love.x
Old 20th April 2014, 10:28 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Lovin' the reviews...

oLdbOi