Old 2nd June 2014, 12:56 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niggy_Dawg View Post
Also are folks from Birmingham, Alabama called Brummy's or just the ones in England?
Folks from Birmingham, Alabama aren't called Brummies. I have called a couple of friends of mine who live there "Brummies" before and they looked at me very awkwardly until I explained what a Brummy is lol.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:05 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
Folks from Birmingham, Alabama aren't called Brummies. I have called a couple of friends of mine who live there "Brummies" before and they looked at me very awkwardly until I explained what a Brummy is lol.
Haha well that clears that up for me.
Old 3rd June 2014, 03:11 PM
UBloonie

You ought to come here to Alabama sometime. People don't even pronounce Birmingham as Birming-um, like you guys do. Most people here pronounce it Birmin'-hay'um.....turning ham into hay'um...with that southern drawl. But other than the way we speak, I think you'd find most people in the area to be nice folks, filled with southern hospitality that we're so famous for. That's if you stay out of some of the more dangerous areas of town.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 3rd June 2014, 06:24 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
You ought to come here to Alabama sometime. People don't even pronounce Birmingham as Birming-um, like you guys do. Most people here pronounce it Birmin'-hay'um.....turning ham into hay'um...with that southern drawl. But other than the way we speak, I think you'd find most people in the area to be nice folks, filled with southern hospitality that we're so famous for. That's if you stay out of some of the more dangerous areas of town.
Yeah I've heard about those parts of town down there but that's exactly like in Birmingham over here, some places you just don't enter!
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:02 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
another question I have is: During the singing, does is just come out that way (ie: it just is what it is, naturally, with no thought or effort to sound "American")? or Is it rehearsed, no, wrong word, (of course it's rehearsed) is it intentionally directed or coached (very intent on sounding "American")? or a little of both?

(just a note, lest anyone think me critical. my question stems more from curious observation rather than sinister or blind criticism.)
It's a good question Aaron.

I think the basic rules of the pop song were set decades ago (verse, chorus, bridge, middle eight), and the choice of words and the way they rhyme is part of that package. You might occasionally get a song that is a worldwide hit that isn't in English, but it's rare. A song doesn't even have to make sense, you can sing la la lad you want, but it's an AMERICAN la you are singing. For us Brits those rules are part of popular culture, it's in our DNA. You don't have to be conscious of it when writing a song, it's second nature, we automatically think American. Obviously, I'm no expert, but my guess is that the tradition may go all the way back to Tin Pan Alley.

When it comes to foreign artists who don't have English as a first language, it may take some conscious effort to write songs in English (American). Maybe they have to make more conscious choices, but I don't really know.
Old 3rd June 2014, 08:12 PM
UBloonie

Was Ali supposed to be singing in English all those years? I thought he was singing gibberish!

Old 4th June 2014, 03:11 PM
UBloonie

Thank you all for the replies; twas very informative.

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.