Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 23rd October 2015, 11:54 AM
UB40 Fan

Default Can I share my UB time with ya!

Portsmouth 21.10.15
Set off 5.30am so could make a day of it.(3hrs there, 2 1/2hrs back)
Rather wet and windy but I had a UB40 ticket and a VIP meet & greet pass so nothing was going to dampen my spirits!
Nice walk along sea front and round about, stopping for breaky - tho just a toasted tea cake for me, far too excited to eat! Later went up the Spinnaker Tower. Quite an experience, although weather spoiled the views. Enhanced with a Brian sticker to mark the occasion (photo on FB). On level 2 there's the cafe in the clouds. They do a lovely hot chocolate!
Later got in room. Freshened up for the evening. Found a pub. I needed a drink to calm my nerves and excitement! Wine! I need wine!
Met Dawn and Stewart! What a lovely couple. It was like we'd been friends for ages! I'm finding that with all the UBloonies I've had the pleasure to meet! Nice bunch, ain't cha! Later we met up with Toni and Owen. They all had back stage passes for after the show and I had VIP for before! I was a bag of nerves wishing we could all go in together!
We were allowed inside venue, in the cafe area, until we could go to our seats. Added bonus, last year had to queue outside in cold. Only advantage to having a seat. If they'd just move it out yr way once there for dancing LOL!
When time for the meet and greet had to wait in box office to be taken upstairs where the lovely Paul Hunter met us and took us to the boys. I know it's daft but I was shaking all over! Once inside and seeing their lovely smiling faces and receiving such a warm welcome, was immediately put at ease. It all went so quickly but pretty sure I got to say at least a hello to every band member. It meant the world that they remembered me from before! Sorry I'm so crap at conversation but I did manage more than two words this time chatting particularly to Martin Robin and Duncan the most. Martin gave out the free t shirts. Had a giggle about the wording on them with Martin and Robin. I remember Laurance topping up my drink! thanks Loz! Earl had a cool hat on. Everyone got chance to have a photo with the whole band which was what I was keeping my fingers crossed for! Paul did a sterling job of chief photographer with all our phones! Thanks Paul mine are great! Will treasure forever!
Errr we have a cheeky moo in the band! When I was standing with them for my photo, someone felt my bum!! LOL!! I'm not sure who the guilty party is but Mr Travers seemed to know an awful lot about it!! Ha ha, so funny. Made my night! Cheers guys! Ha ha xx
We had to leave all to soon so it was like suddenly we were in the hall way going back to our seats. Crazy but I don't recall saying thank you or bye! So if I didn't show my appreciation properly my apologies! It was a fabulous, dream come true moment to treasure! Thanks so much!
to be continued .....
Old 23rd October 2015, 12:21 PM
UB40 Fan

Part two....
My new UBLoonie friends had front row seats and I was in row H. But I danced with Dawn and Stewart to Alex Gold Dubbs (( He too is amazing! We love Alex! He plays cool toooones))
And hoped I could stay there, but a strict security lady and 3 other ladies who were glued to their seats weren't having it! Fair enough. Had to try didn't I? Love being at the front.
It's hard to review with out saying song titles and spoiling it for those not been yet, but I've been loving the Present Arms start and set lists I've heard since April 2014, and have to say love latest one just as much! Great song choices. Absolute awesome show. Can't get enough of UB40! Pure class. Excellent performance . We were wowed as normal. THANK YOU UB40!
I stood at the side which was nearer the front than my seat for a couple of numbers but I couldn't see Jimmy so I went to row H. I actually had a good view most of the time. 3 or 4 people in front of me kept going for drinks and sitting down!?!?!
After Red Red wine I went and found Dawn and Stewart who kindly let me squeeze in by them, as everyone now standing and even the strict security women had given up on us all! So I got to see the last four songs from the front!
UB40 look so good on that stage. They look so happy and I love the banter that goes on and the interaction between themselves and us. Most importantly they make the most amazing sound. Love the music SOO much. I am 55 going on 20 when I'm at a UB40 gig. I love that I feel young and happy like a kid! Love the elation that comes with UB40. Thanks guys. You are simply the very best band ever and we love what you do. Please don't ever stop!! Can't wait for December!
BIG LOVE AND THANKS: Robin, Duncan, Brian, Norman, Jimmy, Earl, Martin, Tony, Laurance! You are all gorgeous and talented! BIG UP UB40 xxxx love ya!! Xxx
Old 23rd October 2015, 09:28 PM
Über UBLoonie

Hello and thanks Lyn ...that was a lovely review....have you stopped shaking yet ? X x x ...oooh and you r going in December .....you will have shaken and stirred yourself to perfection ...
Old 24th October 2015, 04:34 PM
UBloonie

Fabulous review Lyn, sounds like you had the time of your life in Portsmouth
Old 25th October 2015, 09:37 AM
UBloonie

Great review lynne!!!! Lovely to read, thank you.
Old 25th October 2015, 11:32 AM
UB40 Fan

Thanks! Shaken, stirred, moved, wowed, and deliriously happy - to perfection!
Going to see UB40 is the BEST thing EVER!! Xxx
Old 26th October 2015, 12:30 AM
UB40 Fan

Fabulous Lyn, I am so agreeing about feeling young again! I am actually pitying the people who don't have these guys in their lives. Everything you say about trying to make the day go by beforehand speaks to me, the not concentrating, the jittery clockwatching and as for trying not to seem like a silly teenager in their presence.... I can think of lots of things I wish I said!
Old 26th October 2015, 10:18 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince80 View Post
Fabulous Lyn, I am so agreeing about feeling young again! I am actually pitying the people who don't have these guys in their lives. Everything you say about trying to make the day go by beforehand speaks to me, the not concentrating, the jittery clockwatching and as for trying not to seem like a silly teenager in their presence.... I can think of lots of things I wish I said!
That just about sums it up for me too, although I haven't been brave enough to buy the VIP pass for December. I know I will regret it, but I would be a nervous, quivering wreck and would be scared of talking to anybody. So alas, I will content myself with queuing up early for a front place. I am 54 but when out there on the floor, my joints don't creak, my back doesn't ache and I forget the wrinkles, UB40 are the best anti aging treatment available.
Lynne, that's a smashing review, I can feel your excitement and joy and I have to agree entirely with you.
Old 26th October 2015, 01:15 PM
UB40 Fan

Roseo buy one! I've got one! If you like we can hold hands and go in together! LOL! No need to be nervous they are the nicest friendliest guys!! Xx
Old 26th October 2015, 03:21 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnie4ub40 View Post
Roseo buy one! I've got one! If you like we can hold hands and go in together! LOL! No need to be nervous they are the nicest friendliest guys!! Xx
That's really kind of you Lynne, I will seriously think about it.
So many times I have signed in to pledge and almost done it, but then I get the jitters. I mean, what do you say to your idols. Knowing me I would end up saying something really silly, my foot often flies right to my mouth when I open it, then I feel mortalled , which makes me sound even more deranged
Dare I do it