Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 23rd February 2015, 02:16 PM
UB40 Fan

Default 5 UB40 related points & Embarrassing moments

Hello 
On FB recently, fans were sharing 5 points about themselves relating to UB40, and then later, embarrassing moments when meeting the band. Had loads of fun reading them all. Not sure who started it (could have been a couple of nice ladies by the names of Fi and Luci, but I could be wrong, so donít quote me on that). Anyway, as itís been pointed out, it goes a bit quiet on here sometimes, and in an effort to keep the BB buzzing and to show our continued love and support for best Reggae Band EVER, why donít we repost them on here too ? Also not everyone uses FB so there may be more?
Only a suggestion of course. What do ya reckon?
Iíd put my 5 points on now, but it went on and on a bit!! So Iíll wait and see if this appeals to the rest of you, or not, first! I could also write my embarrassing moment on here now, but only if someone else does it first, ha ha!!!
(Yep, Iím a coward! Think Junkie Rock Star, Rhondda Ruddie, and Starshine, should go first ! ÖÖÖÖÖ ((( runs off quick )))
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:09 PM
Super ‹ber UBloonie

Just wait til I see you Lyn, running won't get you anywhere Ok here's my 5 UB40 related points, now post yours you wuss

1. The first time I went backstage was in 1986 at Wembley Arena. Dad who was a London taxi driver picked up one of the crew from Heathrow who’d returned early from Russia. I made my way back after the gig with some mates in tow. None of us would open the dressing room door so I eventually plucked up the nerve. As I did so a thunderous looking Jimmy was on the other side of the door. (For once I don’t think it was anything I’d done ha ha). He stormed out, my bottom lip started quivering and poor RBC had to pick up the pieces and give me a hug.

2. I’ve been lucky to see the band all over the UK & various European cities, as well as Auckland (I was there at the time, I didn’t go especially) and New York, which leads me very nice to....

3. My NY gig was at Jones Beach, the night that the ‘I got you babe’ video was filmed. If you look closely you can see me behaving like a total loon(ie) for a nanosecond.

4. At a hotel in Ireland I was woken up in the middle of the night by a few repetitive, loud bars of music from the room next door. Not wanting to challenge anyone in my PJs I contacted reception and asked them to see what was going on. The next night in the bar Brian was relating the story. It turned out that the culprit was the ex-tambourine player. I did fess up.

5. I am very proud of making RBC ‘corpse’ at the Ahoy in Rotterdam in 2009. He was laughing so much that he couldn’t sing or play guitar for a short while. Sorry Robin!
Old 24th February 2015, 02:06 PM
UB40 Fan

Yikes, I'm in trouble
OK Michele! (With only one L!) Hereís mine, sorry it goes on a wee bit, more like my UB40 history rather than 5 points! ÖÖ.
1. 1980 used to go ice-skating with best mate. .Silver Blades in Birmingham and also Solihull Ice Rink. DJís played Food for Thought and King. Sure thatís where I first heard them anyway. At the time I had no idea who UB40 were or even what Reggae music was, but on first hearing King our reaction was: WOW whoís that!!! ??? Remember flicking through LPís in a record shop and pulling one out and saying to my mate: Look at this, looks like a dole card!!! (had one at the time). Turned it over. Saw ďKingĒ. Bought the LP. Best thing I ever bought! Needless to say got Present Arms when that came out too.
2. 1983. Got married and became a Mommy. Nov 1983 we had a fire and lost all our LPís (I lost my Signing Off and PA) We had no money in those days. I wasnít working because of me babbie, so we didnít buy many records or get to go to gigs for ages.
3. 1990ís managed to see UB40 3 or 4 times in Birmingham. 2006 at Ragley Hall, Alcester Warwickshire . My first outside gig and hubby had bought me my ticket for my birthday. Saw them again in Birmingham in 2007. At this stage, although my favourite band by far, I only owned about 6 CDís and didnít really know much about the band other than what you could read on the record sleeves, and in Ali and Robinís book.
4. 2011 ish. Realise I am so behind the rest of the world, but I eventually get on the internet and find the website! Shocked at how many albums I didnít have. Set about buying a couple each payday. Nearly got them all now. Just a couple of dub sessions to get . Also realised just how much I had missed out on over the years. Signing Off anniversary and rehearsals when Duncan and Tony joined, the band in particular, SOB, SOB, SOB. So when GOTS came out determined not to miss out. Saved my pennies to buy as many tickets as I could manage! UBLoonie in training now!
5. 2014: In April, saw UB40 in Portsmouth and Birmingham. In October, went to York gig, met the lovely Michele and Val, and we met some of the band afterwards! THANKS MICHELE xx In November saw them at Worthing. (Blessed with a back stage pass thanks to Brian) and met some of the band again! Also got a signed set list! Leamington Spa and Llandudno gigs later in the month. Swear Martin pointed me out to Robin at Leamington, and Robin dedicated Love Is to UBLoonies (but I may have dreamt that part!) At Llandudno my pleasure to met up with Marg and Val. I have also had the pleasure of meeting the lovely Luci twice, having tasted the most delicious cupcakes on the planet for my birthday, and the best birthday cake EVER for hubbyís birthday! Luci also gave me a photo of UB40 signed by Robin. THANKS LUCI! Have since purchased lyrics from Brian. I chose ďLISAĒ. All these goodies and memories I will treasure forever, and I canít thank UB40 enough for an absolutely fabulous time. Nothing makes me happier than being at one of their gigs or listening to their music. No other band moves me quite like they do! Roll on 2015. 3 tickets ordered so far Ė fingers are crossed for another Birmingham gig. One eye permanently fixed on the tour info . Sincerely wish for every true fan to get to see UB40 at least once, because they are so AMAZING!!!!!
Cheers everyone! BIG LOVE!
Old 24th February 2015, 06:42 PM
Super ‹ber UBloonie

Well we've done our bit Lyn(nie) hopefully others will pass on through and add theirs. As well as folks who hang out on here, you're all invited too!
Old 27th February 2015, 07:32 PM
UBloonie

I couldn't write about 1 let alone 5. lol
Old 28th February 2015, 11:02 AM
UBloonie

Nor me lozza....
Been to see the boys a few times... but only ever met Bri at the hare n hounds... met Tom there too.

Ani
Old 28th February 2015, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

It doesnt have to be about the band personally- it can be tenuous links.
One of mine was that I used a UB40 CD to get the shade of paint in my living room.. waaaaaay before I worked with them!
Old 28th February 2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Another was that I wrote an english essay in my exercise book at 13 years old that featured going to a UB40 concert. The weird thing was that I wasnt a massive fan. It just fitted my alien abduction story very well. The stamp on my hand meant Unidentified Being number 40. And everyone thought Id been wagging off school to go and see the gig.
I couldnt believe it when I found it in a box in our attic. Amazing!
Old 28th February 2015, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Heres another one.
Over a decade ago... Living in London and not sure what to do. Should I take a chance on love and commit to a relationship with a pop star? It was bound to be heartbreak right? I was driving up to work, and I asked (not sure who) for a sign.
Cant Help Falling In Love came on the radio next song!!!!
Fookin weird right? :O
Old 28th February 2015, 01:03 PM
UB40 Fan

Fookin spooky, in a magical way, Luci. You and Robin meant to be!! BIG LOVE XX