Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 28th December 2010, 04:44 PM
Über UBLoonie

Default Signing Off tour: the aftermath

Hello there peeps,

First off, I'd like to say thank you for what can only be described as a captivating tour.

Now that this tour is finished, I'd like to know how the band are reflecting on it. What was the most difficult thing about revisiting an album which for the most part, hasn't been performed live in over 25 years?

I think that everyone can see that both the band and the members loved the performance of the whole of Signing Off. From a band member's perspective, which tracks did you most enjoy playing and which would you now consider performing in future gigs? Having performed a lot of the dub tracks, would you consider putting dub of any sort in a future setlist?
And loonies: which tracks did you most enjoy hearing live? Would you want to hear any dub in future gigs? Note that Food For Thought, Tyler and King are obviously excluded from answers to the above questions.

When I found out about the tour, I decided to go back and listen to the album again and again and again and again and again, I simply had to know it inside out, upside down, backwards and forwards. I must admit that previously, the only dub track I liked, in the whole world, was Reefer Madness. But one day I was listening to some Sly and Robbie and realised 'This is genuis'. I then fell in love with all the dub from Signing Off. This album, and this tour has changed the way I perceive UB40. I no longer think of them as a band that creates amazing songs, but as a band that creates brilliant music. That, in my mind, is a clear and important distinction.

Finally, I would like to say an absolutely huge thank you to the UB40 crew. By this I mean all the staff who work for the band, the roadies, the ones who are working hard to make sure everything sounds top notch, to make sure all the kit is packed up into the vans, to make sure that Norman's hair is looking proper banging, to make sure that everything runs smoothly. I'm angry at myself for not thanking you earlier, despite seeing all the fantastic work you were doing at Shepherd's Bush.
Old 28th December 2010, 05:39 PM
UB40 Fan

Well I was very aprehensive about going to the gig , But i'm glad I swallowed my pride and went , To hear each and everyone of those songs was totally amazing.
I went into it with the intention of not comparing Duncan and I thoroughly enjoyed every min of it
The Earth Dies Screaming has always been one of my faves . The song that did stand out for me was Strange Fruit it actually sent a shiver down my spine , I thought Duncan did an amazing job especially on that song .
So from now on it's totally about the music for me I have no interest in bickering or the past 3 years , life is too short

Bring on 2011 and some excellent reggae music
Old 28th December 2010, 06:04 PM
UBloonie

What they said.
Plus, from Romsey to the H&H Hounds gig I appreciated every note and every moment whether it was SO or LOL or other. Still can't believe you kept the pace you did but glad you did. Get rested up then let's do 2010 over again in 2011.
K
Old 28th December 2010, 06:44 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Very well said Anant.The tour was something else and was obviously enjoyed as much by the band as the fans.
Old 28th December 2010, 07:37 PM
Super Über UBloonie

What everyone has said.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:10 PM
Über UBLoonie

Agree Anant was probably their best tour ( and you were able to witness) and with the remaster of Signing Off and Dunx's excellent vocal debut on LOL IV I think that 2010 has been a superb year for the band........

Saad
Old 28th December 2010, 08:11 PM
Über UBLoonie

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Would also love it if you could answer my questions
Old 28th December 2010, 08:23 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Jimmy and Brian may well correct me but I think the non vocal tracks on SO were reggae instrumentals rather than dub tracks (i.e. the rhythum guitar is a constant feature rather fading in and out like on Present Arms In Dub for example).I'd love to see Strange Fruit and Madam Medusa again.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:25 PM
Über UBLoonie

Oh yeah, I agree Tom. Strange Fruit was just something else. And Madam Medusa, it just seems the ultimate party song in a dark, cynical sort of way.
Old 28th December 2010, 08:28 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Nes B40

What everyone else said

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/nesbit_bucket/