Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 14th February 2010, 09:34 AM
UB40 Fan

Default Disappointed with lol4

I have to say I'm really disappointed with labour of love 4. I did not even buy it as I heard the clips on amazon and it just felt dated. I got into the ubs at promises and lies stage as I was too young to know about them in the 80s. I have brought every album since apart from this one. Since LOL3 the only album that I have loved has been who you fighting for. I did not like 24/7 and LOL4 is not for me either as they style of songs have changed to suit duncans voice. I brought FLYING HIGH as when I heard the clips it felt new and ali's voice is still crisp and works in todays music. I'm not making out that I'm an ali fan and not ubs as I did not buy RUNNINg FREE as I thought that did not sound very good. I have not really got into any other bands aart from OCS and I really don't know who to follow now, as I don't think I will buy future ub albums as I don't like duncans voice and I can't even go to the gigs as he does not have the same stage presence as ali. And as good as ali's last album was, I don't think he will sustain it. Its all a bit rubbish at the moment!
Old 14th February 2010, 09:37 AM
Extra Super Über UBLoonie

Send a message via MSN to Waltjo

Everybody is entitled to their views and luckily nobody is banned for airing those views on here Sorry to hear you don't like LOL4 but most of the reviews have been very positive so far.
You can't please all of the people of the time can you

~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Old 14th February 2010, 09:40 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjo View Post
Obviously not Mags, but hearing 30 second bursts of tunes doesn't give enough time to formulate a proper opinion - in my mind anyway.

Oh well if Jai hasn't bought it, c'est la vie. Sorry you feel this way Jai, thankfully most of us don't but.. each to their own.
Old 14th February 2010, 09:41 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Sorry to hear you don't like LOL4 I love it. You can't please everyone. But have to ask you 1 question did you go to a gig recently?
Old 14th February 2010, 09:45 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjo View Post
Everybody is entitled to their views and luckily nobody is banned for airing those views on here Sorry to hear you don't like LOL4 but most of the reviews have been very positive so far.
Same here. Good luck in your search for an act 'to follow', if that's what you need then good luck to ya. You really should give the album a try mate, it is VERY good, and I'm usually the first to complain about UB40 doing covers etc. Dunc's voice, for me, has a more universally appealing tone to it than Ali's. So it tends to suit more of the songs than Ali's would. Just my opinion though. I didn't touch Flying Hing, as like you with LOL4, I just didn't like what I heard. Simple as that. So each to their own eh?

Later,

UKW.
Old 14th February 2010, 10:03 AM
UBloonie

Give a try to this with a good headset mate....
Then if you are not convinced, I can't save you
Just kidding

Can we count on your feedback on this ?

Old 14th February 2010, 10:20 AM
UB40 Band Member

Greetings Jai....Thanks for your post,I have to admit I'm disappointed to read that you are disappointed and don't like Labour Of Love IV, afterall we make them to the best of our ability with the sole intention of making the people happy, I can say with my hand on my heart its the best we could possibly do at this moment in time.
Even though I disagree 100% with all the negative points you've made about Duncan and I think the positive observations you make about our ex singer are aimed more at putting Duncan/UB40 down rather than actually reviewing Labour Of Love IV, infact Im not sure what relevance TLVO's recording have to do with UB40 now..Its like us saying for example..
"Your post is not as good as UK WARRIORS " If you understand where I'm coming from ?
EVEN SO I WILL DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO HAVE AN OPINION & YOUR RIGHT TO PUBLISH IT HERE as this is a public forum and that basic right is so much more important to UB40 than your words, we would never tell you you cant have an opinion or stoop so low as to delete your post.
Good luck in your search for music that suits your current frame of mind, there's so much of it out there..Hope you understand where Im coming from, AFTER ALL this is just my opinion and If we were not prepared to defend our art then our art would be as worthless as your bad review.

Last edited by bt/ub40; 14th February 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 14th February 2010, 10:28 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via AIM to kev7840

JAI, everyone is entitled to an opinion, ... but 30 second clips? c'mon now.

I bet you're one of those people that comes up with lengthy movie reviews based on trailers.

And wrote your book reports for school by reading the back of the book.

It's like being given a corner of a painting, and deciding the painting sucks.
Old 14th February 2010, 10:44 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev7840 View Post
JAI, everyone is entitled to an opinion, ... but 30 second clips? c'mon now.

I bet you're one of those people that comes up with lengthy movie reviews based on trailers.

And wrote your book reports for school by reading the back of the book.

It's like being given a corner of a painting, and deciding the painting sucks.
Totally agree with Kev. To me it is just impossible to like/dislike something when all your going on is snippits. I would at least give the WHOLE album a try before dismissing it so easily

YOU KNOW WHEN YOU’VE BEEN TANGO’D

I am a Loonie once more!!!!!
Old 14th February 2010, 10:59 AM
UB40 Fan

As with most new material, by any artist, the tracks have to be listened to in full and sometimes more than once before the tunes grow on you.

Labour of Love IV is a fabulous album, in my opinion, and as good as any other the UB's have done

PS - Forget about all the Ali comparisons as good as he was, he's gone, move on - it's no longer about him.
Closed Thread