Old 29th July 2014, 12:45 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
Nice try john.

what you say may work as a soundbite, but it falls apart when you examine it.

To begin with, aldi and the 'dep' bands' vocals are NOT prolifically better. You may prefer to listen to aldi rather than dunc, that is personal choice. But the elephant in the room is the absence of RBC's harmonies.

Most of UB40's big hits had this approach to the vocals. RRW, CHFIL, CHERRY OH BABY, HOMELY GIRL all made extensive use of this 'brother blend'. It's what gave the band that distinctive vocal sound.

There are countless examples of siblings in bands, it can be a pain because the slightest disagreement can cause an argument that goes all the way back to when they were 4, but when those voices work together they produce a unique sound that money can't buy. A sound developed over years of singing together. That's how the band got the oft used nickname 'the everley brothers of reggae'.

Aldi knows this is important, that's why he has vocalist on stage whose job it is try and reproduce that unique vocal sound. And in that he falls way short. No matter how technically good this singer is, he will never be able to resonate the way aldi and RBC did, or for that matter, the way RBC and dunc can. You may think that aldi is a 'prolifically better' singer than dunc, that's personal choice. But to claim that the vocal sound they produce live is 'prolifically better' than the vocal sound UB40 produce live is demonstrably untrue. Not having that distinct unison vocal has left our ex singer a little exposed. It illustrates just how much he relied on RBC's harmonies to fill out the sound. There's a richness to the harmonies that is completely missing from aldi's sound. UB40 still have that.

When people go to see a live band, it's usually because they have bought the bands records and want to see them perform those songs live. The audience want to see the musicians who played on those records. And they want to hear those songs in a form they are familiar with [there's nothing more annoying than a band doing a 20 minute free-form jazz version of their big pop hit].

UB40 have always prided themselves in sounding exactly like our records. Part of the appeal of the band is the distinctive sound these musicians make together. There is no doubt, when we come on stage and fire up a gig, that we are the musicians that made those records. In almost all instances we sound uncannily like the original recordings. All bands want this, but many of them fail.

Over all, our ex singer sounds nothing like those original records. You may love what he does, that's your free choice, but it is NOT a UB40 gig.

And 1 in 10 is probably the ultimate example of that.

Your neat little soundbite wraps everything up in a neat package with a bow around it. Superficially 'clever'.

But I think regaeron's more scatter shot approach is more accurate. It has nuance.

Nothing personal old chap, I just thought I had to pick you up on it.
I've heard a ton of the bands live songs, and honestly...to me...you guys sound even BETTER live than you do on record. That's down to constant rehearsing and working out the kinks, I suppose. Anyway....just had to put my two cents worth in.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 29th July 2014, 12:47 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
I've heard a ton of the bands live songs, and honestly...to me...you guys sound even BETTER live than you do on record. That's down to constant rehearsing and working out the kinks, I suppose. Anyway....just had to put my two cents worth in.
Ah,The Kinks,another band with siblings,you worked that one in well Matt.
Old 29th July 2014, 12:54 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Ah,The Kinks,another band with siblings,you worked that one in well Matt.
Thanks....it was very cleverly done wasn't it? Wait...hold on...my AC/DC charger for my laptop just came unplugged.....

Right...I mean, I'm no Radiohead or anything, but yeah I agree with Jimmy about the brother blend thing. Ali has left UB40, and without Robin, he sounds like he's stranded out on some Oasis by himself, ya know? He and the DEP Band don't sound like proper reggae at all. They just sound like some beach boys who just show up and play for a couple of bucks a night and some free beer down on the beach. But with Ali....I don't think he Everly really thought about it much till it was too late to go back.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 29th July 2014, 12:56 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Thanks....it was very cleverly done wasn't it? Wait...hold on...my AC/DC charger for my laptop just came unplugged.....

Right...I mean, I'm no Radiohead or anything, but yeah I agree with Jimmy about the brother blend thing. Ali has left UB40, and without Robin, he sounds like he's stranded out on some Oasis by himself, ya know? He and the DEP Band don't sound like proper reggae at all. They just sound like some beach boys who just show up and play for a couple of bucks a night and some free beer down on the beach. But I don't think Ali Everly really thought about it much till it was too late to go back.
Old 29th July 2014, 01:19 PM
UBloonie

excellenty put Jim, He certainly would not sound like Aldi 1980s thats for sure where as Dunc is very much Aldi of old ,'he did pull me up on that when i mentioned it and he said he was the elder Brother so Aldi sounded like him lol
Old 29th July 2014, 01:28 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:

Yes matt. I have always called UB40 first and foremost a LIVE band because we are better on stage than we are on record. We sound like the record, but with the added passion and dynamics that come with live performance.

Bands very often fall short when they go to perform their meticulously crafted studio album on stage. There is something missing from the sound rather than something added. But the band was developed in rehearsal, not in the recording studio.

whether you enjoy the unique chemistry that a REAL band offers is up to you, but many people do, and UB40 are one of the few REAL bands around in these days of 'singer songwriters'.

Running a REAL band [mates with a shared love of a certain style of music, like the stones or the beatles or the wailers etc] is very expensive. So it's increasingly rare.
Old 29th July 2014, 01:43 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:

Right...I mean, I'm no Radiohead or anything, but yeah I agree with Jimmy about the brother blend thing. Ali has left UB40, and without Robin, he sounds like he's stranded out on some Oasis by himself, ya know? He and the DEP Band don't sound like proper reggae at all. They just sound like some beach boys who just show up and play for a couple of bucks a night and some free beer down on the beach. But with Ali....I don't think he Everly really thought about it much till it was too late to go back.
Sorry but i had to come on and say something, I have kept out of the shit for a while now coz quite frankly it bores the hell out of me, but Matt the Dep band are all seasoned professionals who have worked with some of the biggest names in the business, so please don't insult them by saying they don't sound like proper reggae or they are mediocre they are also some of the nicest most genuine guys
Old 29th July 2014, 02:00 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
Sorry but i had to come on and say something, I have kept out of the shit for a while now coz quite frankly it bores the hell out of me, but Matt the Dep band are all seasoned professionals who have worked with some of the biggest names in the business, so please don't insult them by saying they don't sound like proper reggae or they are mediocre they are also some of the nicest most genuine guys
That's your opinion and,like Jimmy said,that's your personal preference.What shouldn't be in dispute is the fact that they are NOT UB40.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:01 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
Sorry Matt but I agree with Tracy on this one. I really think they are some great musicians even if I never heard them play and never gonna hear them play. You can't compare them with UB40, ffs they are playing 35 years together. No one can replace that sound. Those guys are playing what they told to play. Agree with Jim about the harmonies the ex singer is missing. That's the reason lots of us don't miss him.
Old 29th July 2014, 02:03 PM
Super Über UBloonie

So are they The Dep Band,Ali Campbell's UB40,UB40 Reunited or UB40.You could fill a festival bill with the number of names he's used.