Old 9th June 2014, 11:42 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
Some one once said something like: "but if you'd have got the cash, you could've bought the class, and a different set of rules."

hmmmmm. riddle me this: what if, in spite of democratically elected officials, special interest groups and lobbies, with cash to spend, persuaded the education board in a certain direction, would it then represent the will of the majority?

answer me this: why is it that we cant sing about Jesus at Christmas and Easter in our school holiday programs, while at the same time a teacher holds Ramadan fast for a month for all of his students (regardless of the students own faith) so that they can appreciate Islam....for a grade? Imagine Jewish students, or Muslim students being graded on whether or not they sang "Silent Night" at the school. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Look, I dont knock someones religion, but at least be consistent.
And it looks like big money and political correctness is driving alot of what is being taught at public schools. And you and I will have very little barring on the same with our puny voices.

AA

Governments can certainly fk up education. As our. Right wing Tories are proving day by day. They seem to take pleasure in making the lives of working class Muslims more difficult than they need be. But I don't see wal mart being any kind of improvement. At least we can vote out a government. We can't do that if education is owned by the corporations.

When desperate people relocate themselves in another part of the world, maybe they are running from conflict (Middle East oil wars), or maybe they're economic refugees who have come to work hard and make something of themselves.

It behoves the host culture to extend a hand of welcome.

When people have been cut off from home, and relatives, and friends. It's surely no great burden to allow people to have just a few comforting perks to stay connected with their past life. Moving countries is a big wrench for even the most financially advantaged. For working people it's very often massively stressful. To go out of your way to make people welcome is surely the only civilised response.

The question "why" begs one answer. . . .because they NEED it.

I remember reading a comment where someone was complaining that immigrants were being given extra lessons that weren't available to the local kids.

Turned out those extra lessons were ENGLISH lessons because those pupils didn't have English as a first language.

Sometimes people need extra care and attention just to even the playing field.

Last edited by JB40; 9th June 2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10th June 2014, 03:05 AM
UBloonie

i dont think people realize it isnt easy just moving to another country, as jimmy mentioned,,id like to see some of these edl types move to france for example. and try and make a life without speaking french, and that countrys only across the channel.
i believe the biggest inequality is between

rich - white,black and asian and poor - white black and asian...rich and poor..

solve that problem and a lot of other problems will solve themselves..

most people would rather live in the countrys they were born in, surrounded by like minded people, they move because they have too, and brits do the same, bugger off to australia,canada, new zealand..

do people honestly believe if an indian guy could make a living in india, he would come here, in fact a lot of young british indians are going to mumbai to seek an opportunity they cannot get here...

this country is going to the dogs, simply because we hate change, people were against decimlization, and yet today,,,,,,its normal,
we also, as a country live in the past,,we should be a forward thinking country, we are an island of creative inventive people and have been for 1000s of years, look at stonehenge, its only other peers were the pyramids...

unfortunatly we have been taken over by accountants and administators, people in cheap suits hiding behind rules, and accusing anybody who disagrees, of having an attitude problem, or smearing them with horribleness.

i often joke with friends who work in the public sector, about having to spend 75% of thier working life, watching thier own backs from fellow workers. and yet many of them tell me im not joking.

Last edited by MrGhost-F.G.E; 10th June 2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10th June 2014, 02:00 PM
UBloonie

Religion is the root of all evil.
how many priests have molested children?
how many people have died because they don't believe or they do believe?
how many (mostly women) have been stoned to death because they dont want to marry someone of their own "faith"?
Someone mentioned god loves everyone... well he does as long as they are of the same religion. and all "Gods" are the same there!
If there was a "God" there wouldn't be all this hate and prejudice in the world.
What makes me sceptical, the bible says Jesus was crucified and 3 odd days later he strolls out of the cave they put him in... if he died and then walked out where is he? why hasn't he come along and proved all science is wrong and that Adam and eve were the creation of god? Why hasn't he said we are killing our own family as we must all be related? and stopped it.
everyone has the right to believe what they want but the proof is in the pudding of delivering....

Ani
Old 10th June 2014, 07:11 PM
UB40 Band Member

So, "intellectual heavyweight" Michael gove has made up his mind what to do about this "Trojan horse" security threat of Islamic extremism.

He's decided that what is needed is a good old dose of "British values".

Gove suggests that there are some national characteristics that, once indoctrinated into outsiders, will give them a guide of how best to live there lives.

Cameron and gove even gave a little list of these national characteristics just in case we've all forgotten what it is that makes Britain so "great".

These included respect for other people, the rule of law and democracy.

Gloves momma didn't raise no fule

I'm sure we can all see how this policy will immediately transform inner city schools almost overnight. I reckon he must have spent. . . Ooh. . .i dunno. . . . MINUTES to come up with his inspired solution to this complex and intractable problem that threatens our very security and safety. I can see why the daily heil, and the telegraph and the express and especially the ScUM and the times, see gove as the Tories new rising star. The man is a certifiable genius. It's obvious that a few lessons in the "greatness" of Britain will be an invaluable tool for the average inner city school teacher.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, maybe the headlines should read "EX-JOURNALIST OFFERS MEDIA SOUNDBITE AS SOLUTION TO COMPLEX, INTRACTABLE PROBLEM".

And I think the Dutch might be surprised to realize that they don't have any respect for each other, or that apparently germans don't have a "democracy", or Norwegians don't have respect for the law.

They all need to learn more about "Britishness".
Old 10th June 2014, 11:32 PM
Über UBLoonie

I still think it is all a smoke screen to divert people away from the REAL issues ....It is unbelievable that it is the headlines ....but is walking right into the diversion tactics ...and into the hands of Xenophobic parties....

Was it not the Tories who have been pushing the ideas of independent schools in the first place ....to ensure they all became businesses ...was this not supposed to be choice? ....was it not them who started diverting funding away from Education.....it would not surprise me if all these "business" run schools voted Tory at some point ....

If there was one set of schools /hospitals /public services , they could all be run to the same rules and standards ....and yes ...Britishness ...i.e. inclusiveness (we would hope)

BUT OMG ...SHOCK HORROR ...you tell people they can run the schools how they like ....and they do it
.....so I think having teenage boys and girls in one class might divert them ...so I don't have mixed classes
...you believe that having morning prayer will set you up for the day ...so you all pray and sing hymns before going into class...
..she thinks that pupils should not work on the Sabbath ...so they don't have extra activities on that day...

THIS IS THE RESULT OF WHAT YOU HAVE SOWED MR & MRS TORY

I currently have a temporary job in an NHS hospital and we all got e-mails telling us that we are not allowed to wear or display anything to do with political affiliations as we are a public service ....(I think they are meaning for the YES and NO campaigns in Scotland which is turning nasty) ...but I think GOOD ON YOU !!! This is a public service , it is not a place where anyone should come and feel intimidated because they don't happen to vote for the same party

It's the same in schools .....they should be run by the government ....they should all have the same rules.....not schools creating wee exclusive silos ....

Ach I am getting so irritated with the media attention on this ...and now I heard they are going for Bradford ......
Old 11th June 2014, 09:23 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephertiti View Post
I still think it is all a smoke screen to divert people away from the REAL issues ....It is unbelievable that it is the headlines ....but is walking right into the diversion tactics ...and into the hands of Xenophobic parties....

Was it not the Tories who have been pushing the ideas of independent schools in the first place ....to ensure they all became businesses ...was this not supposed to be choice? ....was it not them who started diverting funding away from Education.....it would not surprise me if all these "business" run schools voted Tory at some point ....

If there was one set of schools /hospitals /public services , they could all be run to the same rules and standards ....and yes ...Britishness ...i.e. inclusiveness (we would hope)

BUT OMG ...SHOCK HORROR ...you tell people they can run the schools how they like ....and they do it
.....so I think having teenage boys and girls in one class might divert them ...so I don't have mixed classes
...you believe that having morning prayer will set you up for the day ...so you all pray and sing hymns before going into class...
..she thinks that pupils should not work on the Sabbath ...so they don't have extra activities on that day...

THIS IS THE RESULT OF WHAT YOU HAVE SOWED MR & MRS TORY

I currently have a temporary job in an NHS hospital and we all got e-mails telling us that we are not allowed to wear or display anything to do with political affiliations as we are a public service ....(I think they are meaning for the YES and NO campaigns in Scotland which is turning nasty) ...but I think GOOD ON YOU !!! This is a public service , it is not a place where anyone should come and feel intimidated because they don't happen to vote for the same party

It's the same in schools .....they should be run by the government ....they should all have the same rules.....not schools creating wee exclusive silos ....

Ach I am getting so irritated with the media attention on this ...and now I heard they are going for Bradford ......
Great post Farida.
Old 12th June 2014, 12:59 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I think creationism, as a literal interpretation of the bible has been proved to be wrong. But intelligent design is a different thing. I can't think of any scientific theory that can disprove the theory, therefore I'm open minded about it. My objection is to teaching literal creAtionism as fact, that is just wrong.

Religion is an important subject, and should be taught in schools. But religion should not be taught as FACT.

I think it is quite possible that there really is an historical figure called Jesus and that he may have been a remarkable man. You may chose to believe he is the son of god, but to me that's a leap too far. Soto keep us both happy we can study the teachings of Jesus as politics rather than religion.

When I'm see some of the crazy things that are claimed by some people of faith it makes me think that the teachings of Jesus have been forgotten.

Forgiveness, protection of the vulnerable, and a rejection of earthly wealth in favor of the poor and dispossessed seem to have been forgotten by some people who call themselves religious.

Hi JB/GM, interesting discussion re evolution/creation.

I believe in creation ("intelligent design") but I don't consider myself to be a 'creationist'. As far as I'm aware, the term 'creationism' refers to the belief that the earth was created in 6 literal days about 6000 years ago - I don't believe the Bible supports this belief.

The very first sentence in Genesis says "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." This appears to be a statement about the existence of the universe with no indication of time, hence could be referring to millions, even billions of years ago. It is also scientifically accurate as scientists agree that the universe, inc earth, had a 'beginning' (big bang) billions of years ago.

The rest of Genesis chapter 1 (from verse 2 to end), shifts focus just to the earth and how God prepared it for life. The length of each creative 'day' is not given so we cannot assert they were 24 hrs long - in fact the Bible sometimes uses the word 'day' to indicate an unspecified period of time (eg Genesis 2:4).

So, the Bible supports scientific findings (or vice versa) that the earth could be billions of years old.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

Signing in.
Old 14th June 2014, 01:21 AM
Super Über UBloonie

neph good post abov

...so we find a god to blame ....gives us a feeling of control ....

You'know if man stopped blaming god for everything, and looked at himself abit more, there might not be te amouint of shit in the world.

Signin off.

The world was created and has evolved we all had to, i'm not sure whether we've chnged for the better.
Old 14th June 2014, 01:30 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
You have your beliefs and I have mine. I will agree with you on the point that all services need to be for ALL people regardless. That's a given. But my argument was with calling religion a "fantasy". So many people speak up against FAITH, but we ALL have faith every day, no matter what we believe in. It takes faith to close your eyes at night and believe that you'll wake up in the morning. Without faith, we'd all crumble in fear. It's just that many choose to have faith in a higher power, while some choose to have faith in science.

Which takes more faith to believe? That the known universe came into being from one solitary single cell, that exploded and out of that came all life, all planets and stars.....or to accept that there was a great designer to all these things and that he loves us as his children and is there to help lead us in the right path? In other words....which takes more faith? To look at a painting and say that no one at all painted it...that it just appeared out of nowhere? or to accept the fact that there was a painter and that he wants to know us and he wants to let us come to know him also?

Which is easier for you? You can believe what you want to believe, Jim. I'll always respect you and you have every right to believe what you want to. No man can take that away from you. But remember this...I'm just as convinced that Christ is real and that he is my savior, as you are that he doesn't exist at all.

GM why does it take faith to close your eyes at night,
funny i believe in god, and will go to my grave he's real, but i can't put faith in him............i give you that one, i can't do that.