Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 News

Old 23rd January 2014, 07:00 PM
Tour Manager/Production Manager

Default UB40 Press Statement January 23rd 2014

Following the announcement by three former members of UB40 of their intention to ‘reform’ to record a new album and to perform live under the name UB40, the five founding members of UB40 wish to make the following statement:

“We are outraged at this latest desperate attempt by our former band mates to hijack UB40's brand name, business and legacy. As UB40 we have worked continuously for the last 35 years touring the world with our live show and promoting our recorded albums.

"As our fans know, Ali Campbell left UB40 six years ago citing issues with the band's management, and has since pursued a solo career. In that time, Ali has repeatedly attempted to discredit his brothers and former band mates, through the media and otherwise, but this latest attempt to confuse and manipulate UB40's fans is, frankly, pathetic. We are disappointed that he feels it necessary to behave in this way and equally disappointed that Astro has joined with him.

“UB40’s five remaining founding members Robin Campbell, Brian Travers, Jimmy Brown, Earl Falconer and Norman Hassan will be touring extensively throughout 2014 and the UK in March and April. With this in mind, UB40 are delighted to announce that extra dates have been added, including a second night in Birmingham on April 19th, with tickets going on sale from Monday, 27th January.

For all genuine UB40 dates please go to our official website, Facebook and Twitter pages at www.UB40.co.uk, facebook.com/ub40official and @UB40official.

“As for Ali, Mickey and Astro, the matter is now in the hands of our lawyers”.

Old 23rd January 2014, 07:04 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Fully behind this.I know it isn't UB40's way to put their personal business in the media but enough is enough.
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:19 PM
UBloonie

.....fully respect you guys being silent for so long but I do think the line has well and truly been crossed this time....
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:19 PM
UBloonie

Hooray for that. I know it has never been the UB40 way but everyone has a tolerence level. The music industry will hopefully now discover what this devious idiot is all about
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:48 PM
UBloonie

Way to stand your ground guys!

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 9th April 2014, 12:12 AM
UB40 Fan

This is all so sad.

I remember reading the Ali and Robin Campbell autobiography in 2006, which was shortly after the band's best album in years (Who You Fighting For) and thinking how close they and the band were and how it looked like their best years could be ahead of them artistically.

What has happened since then is a real shame, especially as this is a dispute that has driven brothers apart.

No disrespect to Duncan but I don't think UB40 have sounded right since Ali left, and Ali's voice is wasted without Brian's horns, and Earl and Jimmy's rhythms.

I really hope there will be a rapprochement one day and the band I loved for so many years will bury the hatchet and be a family again.

One Love

Last edited by Steve C; 9th April 2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 9th April 2014, 12:28 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
This is all so sad.

I remember reading the Ali and Robin Campbell autobiography in 2006, which was shortly after the band's best album in years (Who You Fighting For) and thinking how close they and the band were and how it looked like their best years could be ahead of them artistically.

What has happened since then is a real shame, especially as this is a dispute that has driven brothers apart.

No disrespect to Duncan but I don't think UB40 have sounded right since Ali left, and Ali's voice is wasted without Brian's horns, and Earl and Jimmy's rhythms.

I really hope there will be a rapprochement one day and the band I loved for so many years will bury the hatchet and be a family again.

One Love
Dunc sounds great to me Steve and he's a real gentleman.Ali has burned his bridges with his backstabbing and lying.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:30 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Dunc sounds great to me Steve and he's a real gentleman.Ali has burned his bridges with his backstabbing and lying.
Far more polite than what I was tempted to type. Very true too.

However, we're all entitled to our opinions...ho hum.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:35 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post
Far more polite than what I was tempted to type. Very true too.

However, we're all entitled to our opinions...ho hum.
Like that pic with Reeves and Mortimer on home page.
Old 9th April 2014, 07:24 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
This is all so sad.

That won't happen. So theres no point in waiting and hoping it does. Neither Ali and his band or UB40 sound the same as they did when they were all together - that sound is gone. But IMO UB40 still have a fantastic sound and a fantastic singer, and they still have the magic from before. As long as Duncan and Robin are in the band you will always get that brother blend that can't be replicated by using session musicians. So you can either enjoy them for what they are, whilst also enjoying the back catalogue of the old days, or you can given up on them and keep hoping in vain that Ali will return. If you go for the second I can guarantee you will miss out.