Old 5th January 2015, 09:50 AM
UBloonie

well said Jim. Me personally would never bat an eyelid if i never heard RRW CHFIL HG CHERRY OH again at a concert. All ub40 original material from SO Right through to GOTS is far superior than covers. People love covers because they already know those tunes and the ub40 spin on them make them remarkable remakes but when i hear FFT , King ,Present arms ,Love is all ,Dream a lie, Watchdogs, Earth Dies Screaming, Etc etc i am in a trance, these tracks are cult material, they take me back to my teens And them being played live are just amazing .
Phil people can like or see who or what they want but to suggest there a 2 versions of ub40 is insulting to ub40 who are and still very much alive and performing better than ever. If you are happy listening to the ex singer thats fine but it is a solo artist ( thats a laugh) with a backing band playing ub40 LOL hits ( which we dont want to hear) and a few old early hits that the ex singer has rushed into his LOL set cos he knows how far behind UB40 he is with his odd show hastily dated around a ub40 tour. Idiot that he is. NPG cant even be bothered with your ignorance

Last edited by old loonie; 5th January 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 5th January 2015, 09:52 AM
UBloonie

danm mobile

Last edited by old loonie; 5th January 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 5th January 2015, 09:53 AM
UBloonie

sorry pressed it twice
Old 5th January 2015, 05:06 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I think npg is a bit confused about who and what UB40 really are. And I suspect that is because they aren't really a UB40 fan.

To say 'aldi knows that the majority want to hear the old classics' is completely wrong.

To REAL UB40 fans the 'old classics' are pre- labour of love. Songs like 'Love is all' and 'Don't let to pass you by' are considered the real classics.

What npg means by the 'old classics' is the LOL cover versions that casual fans only know. this is exactly the audience that our ex singer is trying to get back. people that aren't really fans from the beginning, and only really know the big hits like RRW and CHFIL.

For most UB40 fans those cover versions were a turn off.

As for phil the brit.

Nobody can tell anyone what music they can like or what gigs they can go to. that's our own free choice to suit our own personal tastes.

But there is only ONE UB40. Three member left and went out on their own. We have their resignation letters. You can't leave and then keep using the name. It's illegal, immoral and completely unfair to the bandmates who worked for over 30 years and wrote most of the material.

I wrote 1 in 10. But I have to sit back and watch another set of musicians take credit for my work, make money from my work. But I don't get a penny.

just as earl will get nothing for his wonderful baselines as he watches another bass player, who was never part of UB40 history take the credit.

As BT, who spent endless hours and days constructing the brass section lines on ALL Ub40 records is supposed to be happy when another brass section, who had nothing to do with the writing or promoting or performing of those precious licks take all the credit and the financial reward.

and what about RBC's harmonies ??

And mine and BT's and RBC's words, like 1 in 10, sing our own song, higher ground. Are we supposed to just lie down and give up and let some complete strangers, who were never part of UB40 take all the credit and financial reward for OUR hard work ??

I think not.
Happy new year old boy... and well said. Sometimes I think because UB40 are in the entertainment business, like movie or TV stars, people tend for some reason to adopt a different set of morals. Its quite worrying...

People who say Ali is UB40, Ali sang the songs so he should have the right to use the name UB40, Ali was the front man and the others should pack up etc... really seem to miss the point which is that this is REAL LIFE and not reality TV or on the silver screen.

I often say to people: "imagine that this scenario was being played out within your own life, your own business, your family's business". I think people might have a different view if it was 30 years of their work being ripped to pieces.

Imagine that you are a plumber or a sparky and you've spent the last 30 odd years building a nice little business for your self. You've had some ups and downs like everyone but you have built a solid reputation, a reputation that you've sweat blood and tears to achieve. Then you find out that there is someone moonlighting as you in your local area, an ex-employee who was actually a cracking tradesman but decided to leave the business and set up on his own - unsuccessfully, using your name, giving out your business card and driving the same type of van with your livery on it but with his own phone number. Just ask yourself a few questions. What action would you take??? Would you be happy about it??? would it be right?

Need I say more??????

Come on people, get a grip. This is not New Zealand's got talent, it's real life!

Paul
Old 5th January 2015, 06:35 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
danm mobile
Another tambourine player tune
Old 5th January 2015, 07:21 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the Brit View Post
If either Ali/UB40 or original UB40 (or whatever you guys want to call them) are playing at a venue that appeals to me then I will go enjoy the music equally no matter who I am listening to. I just love the style and vitality of UB40 music.
If someone misses a note now and then that that is just exactly why I love live music. If I want to hear perfection I will listen to a record.
I regard myself as being fortunate to have two bands playing music I love touring at pretty much the same time.
Just my 2 cents.

We call them UB40. You're on the UB40 website, It's not that confusing or hard to figure out.

Which UB40 gigs did you attend last year.
Old 5th January 2015, 08:40 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate13 View Post
We call them UB40. You're on the UB40 website, It's not that confusing or hard to figure out.

Which UB40 gigs did you attend last year.
thats the scouse in you Kate lol
Old 5th January 2015, 08:41 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Another tambourine player tune
Good one Saad lol
Old 5th January 2015, 10:12 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
No, Ali just knows the majority go to hear the old classics, the same with most old acts surely? 3 from the new album is a perfect amount from the new album i think. And as for a "set that contains his old bands stuff", if its fine for Duncan to sing mostly Ali songs, its probably okay for Ali to sing his own songs, songs that he sung and made his own for 28 years.
In reality ali will play anything if it gets peeps over the doorstep and if that means hanging on to ub40's coat tails, he will.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:22 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
thats the scouse in you Kate lol

the scouse in me just keeps thinking hhhhhh bollox.