Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 18th September 2009, 01:04 AM
UB40 Fan

Anyone who believes there is no corruption in the Police force take a look.

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.co...uty-hogan.html

I knew John Hogan and his family personally, my sister Claire was part of the Ob/Gyn team at the birth of his daughter Michelle whom I met for the first time at 5 days old. I can say hand on heart I would NEVER have believed he could do such a thing, he was one of the most Empathic men I've ever met.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...27/MN11348.DTL

Do I think had he not killed himself it would have been right to execute him? No I'm sorry I don't Lethal injection is not a quick and painless death, it may appear that way due to the paralysis suffered by the victim. This is for the sake of those viewing the killing, Roman gladiator venues come to mind, as they would be too distressed by the reality of a concious killing, I'm told by a Dr involved in such events. They are given enough sedation for them to be unconcious for approx 4 of the average 16 mins it takes to kill them.

As you will see on this list a man was executed on 16th Sept another is due on 22, another on 24th and another on 30th in Texas alone.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm
http://www.txexecutions.org/watch.asp

I believe wholeheartedly these people need to be punished but not murdered. Prison and life should be hard a punishment not just their own version of punishement. Military style prison would be a good way to go ie earn you're priviledges rather than expect them as a human right, so no tv, sky, radio etc without first earing them for a set amount of time.
Old 18th September 2009, 10:29 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40
Was watching 10 Rillington Place the other day. I was reminded of Timothy Evans who was hanged wrongly for murders committed by Christie. He didn't deserve that any more than the 14 year old girl that was murdered did.

a great film, coincidentally i saw it too the other day, i'm sure after christie was hung, the corresponding inquest into the miscarriage of justice in the hanging of timothy evans was a deciding factor in the abolishment of the death penelty in the uk

there are vast improvements in dna now it's almost impossible to get anything wrong, but i have to stress on the impossible part, there will almost alweays be the slightest fraction of getting things wrong and the wrong person being convicted/executed for a crime, and also noone is above breaking the law and planting evidence, including those who are paid to uphold it
Old 18th September 2009, 12:56 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallytruly
Gary Tyler was originally sentenced to death, wasn't he?
Indeed he was Trudie.

Tyler's trial was characterized by coerced testimony, planted evidence, judicial misconduct, and an incompetent defense. He was sentenced to death by electrocution at the age of seventeen. On the first appeal of his conviction in1981, a federal appeals court said that Tyler was "denied a fundamentally fair trial," but refused to order a new one for him. During this same period, the Louisiana death penalty was ruled unconstitutional. Gary Tyler's death sentence was lifted and he was resentenced to life in prison. He is currently incarcerated in Louisiana's infamous Angola prison.

Another perverse little fact.
The US is the only major western country to execute minors. Your journey to death row can start long before the age of consent.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:12 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007
Quote:
Gary Tyler was originally sentenced to death, wasn't he?
Indeed he was Trudie.

Tyler's trial was characterized by coerced testimony, planted evidence, judicial misconduct, and an incompetent defense. He was sentenced to death by electrocution at the age of seventeen. On the first appeal of his conviction in1981, a federal appeals court said that Tyler was "denied a fundamentally fair trial," but refused to order a new one for him. During this same period, the Louisiana death penalty was ruled unconstitutional. Gary Tyler's death sentence was lifted and he was resentenced to life in prison. He is currently incarcerated in Louisiana's infamous Angola prison.

Another perverse little fact.
The US is the only major western country to execute minors. Your journey to death row can start long before the age of consent.
That's always been one of the worst facts about the death penalty; that it can be conveyed on minors. Not old enough to vote, drink, get married but you can be put to death. Not very civilised.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:25 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

To the pudits extolling the virtue of DNA testing, yes it's a wonderful tool. However you have to understand that it's a very EXPENSIVE procedure, and as I have stated previously, many of those waiting on death row are being represented by public defenders and don't have the money to pay for the tests. Another point pertaining to procedure, even if they have the wherewithall to pay for the testing process, it's not enough to base an appeal on, typically the only way to mount an appeal is to show that there was a flaw in the trial procedure. So you can have the test show conclusively that you weren't the perpetrator of said crime, but unless you can find a procedural flaw in any of the previous trails, it is considered inadmissable.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:40 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego
To the pudits extolling the virtue of DNA testing, yes it's a wonderful tool. However you have to understand that it's a very EXPENSIVE procedure, and as I have stated previously, many of those waiting on death row are being represented by public defenders and don't have the money to pay for the tests. Another point pertaining to procedure, even if they have the wherewithall to pay for the testing process, it's not enough to base an appeal on, typically the only way to mount an appeal is to show that there was a flaw in the trial procedure. So you can have the test show conclusively that you weren't the perpetrator of said crime, but unless you can find a procedural flaw in any of the previous trails, it is considered inadmissable.

Took you long enough to contribute to this one Fi. But it's a timely one. The supporters of the death penalty seem to have a rose tinted view of police procedure.
If the police were upstanding guardians of the law, and the courts left no stone unturned in their search for justice, and everybody had equality in the eyes of the law. Then maybe, just maybe, there would be an argument for capital punishment. But we are a long way from that being the case.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:41 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Sorry.... I've been busy.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:48 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:

Don't try and pretend you've got a life Fi. We know you haven't. What happened ? Did you lose a nail??
Old 18th September 2009, 01:49 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Quote:

Don't try and pretend you've got a life Fi. We know you haven't. What happened ? Did you lose a nail??
She was on the rota for executioner duties. All this anti death penalty stuff is just a cover.

www.trudiemunnart.co.uk

"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"
Old 18th September 2009, 01:52 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

She was on the rota for executioner duties. All this anti death penalty stuff is just a cover.

Yes Rt. Fi has got a long list of crimes that deserve the death penalty. I think top of that list is low IQ.