Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 6th October 2014, 10:49 AM
UBloonie

lambzbred i apoligise for the language. i will edit my posts
Old 6th October 2014, 10:54 AM
UBloonie

done. i have nothing more to say on the matter

Last edited by old loonie; 6th October 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 6th October 2014, 06:41 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
I havent been loyal really, i only got back into Ali a few months ago, i just like the songs he's been doing and his voice still alright, Silhouette is a nice summer reggae song, very catchy and i like I Want You, reminds me of something circa Promises + Lies. I dunno, i'm not really fussed either way, i like having two lots of one of my favorite bands, i know there's legal issues but as a fan thats not my place to get involved is it. I just like the music!
i`m with you npg, i heard silhouette on the radio and thought ooooh that must be a new ub40 single. i loved it, and like you it`s just the music for me whoever sings it.
(spose i`d best get me coat now!!!)
Old 6th October 2014, 08:31 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Who let Jai back in?
Old 6th October 2014, 08:33 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozza. View Post
i`m with you npg, i heard silhouette on the radio and thought ooooh that must be a new ub40 single. i loved it, and like you it`s just the music for me whoever sings it.
(spose i`d best get me coat now!!!)
I agree with both npg and lozza, I come here because of the music but for too long now this site has been dominated by talk of Ali and the whole two bands situation.

I have enjoyed the music made by UB40 since Ali has left very much, including GOTS and have enjoyed the music made by Ali as a solo artist, although I still think GBS was a poor album, the new one is really good.

I'll happily take advantage of two lots of great music being released by two separate bands. What happens outside the music is not of my concern.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:37 PM
Super Über UBloonie

We can accept that Niggy, but what's unacceptable are those who come here spouting how fantastic ali is, and how sh*te UBs are since he left.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:37 PM
UB40 Band Member

Absolutely no problem with that lozza. It's nobody else's business what music your into. Although, we don't necessarily need any progress reports. It's not very well mannered or respectful to the band.

It's quite interesting to make a contrast between our ex singers new record, which is aimed squarely at the middle of the road market that loved RRW, and the recent release of a present arms box set.

The present arms box set has also got present arms in dub and a live gig from '81. Compared to RRW the music is heavier, fresher, more challenging and political, and wears it's love of dub on it's sleeve. Nobody could claim that it was bland like RRW. We lost a lot of original fans when we released the LOL albums, even though our record sales went through the roof worldwide.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have done the LOL albums. They are responsible for the bands extraordinarily long career. But we shouldn't forget our roots. Those first two albums still sound really fresh and experimental. And that is what we want to reflect now.

The days of those MOR hits are more or less over. That mainstream market has shrunk.

If we want to survive we need to attract a younger audience and you won't do that by pleasing the mums and dads.

Having my own teenage daughters means I have witnessed a renewed interest in early 70's dub. We know that genre very well because we lived it first time round.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:50 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI View Post
I think it was quite good. I want you was a under rehearsed but is top tune. And the other two tunes were good. Actually think he looked quite cool.
Oh look, it jai....a few years older and he still can't write coherently.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:57 PM
UB40 Fan

Agree with you JB the first two albums were immense and I can hold those up to people who say you are just a covers band.

I downloaded the lost tapes- live at the venue of iTunes the other and it is just brilliant!!

I wasn't even born when you did that and the tracks still sound as good as anything done today. Really powerful stuff.
Old 6th October 2014, 09:04 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI View Post
Agree with you JB the first two albums were immense and I can hold those up to people who say you are just a covers band.

I downloaded the lost tapes- live at the venue of iTunes the other and it is just brilliant!!

I wasn't even born when you did that and the tracks still sound as good as anything done today. Really powerful stuff.
Are you after more free drumsticks, jai?? If so, I'm afraid that ship already sailed for you.