Old 29th July 2014, 11:53 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
I have Followed UB40 since food for thought and it was Ali's voice that caught my attention, my fave song from that era being I think its going to rain!!!
Can you honestly say that its the same voice? I've just played I Think Its Going to Rain, and then Ali's new song Silhouette ....

That soulful voice I used to love is long gone, and I personally think the vocals on Silhouette are terrible.

Then.. if you remove the vocals from Silhouette, the music sounds absolutely nothing like UB40 at all! With all due respect to the players of instruments in the DEP Band, who are individually all competent musicians... they do not sound like UB40 by any stretch of the imagination.

The barrage of Ali fans posting comments like "the true sound of UB40 is back" all over the 'net can only mean that his fans are either deaf, or they're so caught up in the romanticism of Ali Campbell's voice of 20 years ago that they're not actually listening to his 2014 vintage vocals nor the music behind it. Its a catchy (well chosen) pop/reggae song that should do well on the radio, but its as far from UB40 as Sunshine Reggae was.

Funny thing is, if it wasn't for his current behaviour, I'd still be supporting him and his music, lost voice and all....
Old 30th July 2014, 07:48 AM
UBloonie

i have said that for many years that vocally he has gone it was Robin that kept it going as for supporting him we all did when he first left but then he started the slagging of his mates and that was it for me.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:29 AM
UBloonie

when people say, well lets let the legal system sort it out well yes thats ok but its the moral side of the argument that is wrong. He left so at what point is there an arguement? surely anyone can see how him trying to use the name is wrong its so simple, why cant some people get that.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:06 AM
UBloonie

i do feel for the musicians that are used as they would probably love to have their own music to put out there and are very rarely called the dep band these days. UB40 they are most definately not, individually they would be very accomplished musicians.when i played with my band although we were a tribute the guys really wanted to do there own music with there own stamp on it. But when you are getting paid to do what you are told then you cant blame them for taking the money without a musical input i suppose we would all go where the money is
Old 30th July 2014, 11:12 AM
‹ber UBLoonie

Completely agree about the name use OL. There is absolutely no debate to be had here. Let's be honest, if he really had any right to call himself UB40, he would have done it 6 years ago when he left.

In an interview in 2011 he said this: "We are not UB40, we are Ali Campbell and the Dep Band"

Just because you throw Astro into the mix, that doesn't then give him the right to the name UB40.

His argument seems to be "Me and Astro are the voices of all the tracks, therefore we are UB40." There's many things wrong with that. Firstly, Earl, Norman and Robin have also contributed vocally. Even Jimmy and Laurence have added their vocals to some tracks. Secondly, just because someone is the singer of a band, that does not mean that they own the name. Thirdly, using his stupid and broken logic, that means that Signing Off is not actually a UB40 album! It has 5 instrumental tracks afterall! Present Arms in Dub is another fraudulent album, because apparently it's by UB40, but it can't be because it doesn't have Ali on vocals!

The bottom line is, and always has been, that his use of the name is illegal.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:43 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
In an interview in 2011 he said this: "We are not UB40, we are Ali Campbell and the Dep Band"
thanks for that comment, a bit of googling found the interview, which is quite interesting from many aspects.

"The promoters want to call us UB40, but we are Ali Campbell and the Dep Band. We are proud of who we are."

Still proud then?

And also regarding his being "forced out of the band" which his disciples are all claiming now - "I asked for a month off to promote the album and they all said no, so I just thought: you know what, Iím going."

Yup, its a large stretch of the imagination to get "forced out" from that... but large imaginations they all seem to have!
Old 30th July 2014, 12:03 PM
‹ber UBLoonie

Whether he chose to leave or was forced out, the fact is that he ceased to be a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band. Meaning that he was no longer a part of the band.

If he's no longer a part of the band, he can't claim 6 years later that the band is fake and that his new band is UB40.

Being forced to quit doesn't give him the rights to the name. In fact, I wonder where the proof is that he was forced out. If he was forced out, that means that the decision for him to not be a part of the band was taken by somebody else. So who was it that has the power to terminate his contract (or whatever the equivalent is)? All his interviews, like the one above, suggest that the decision to leave was his! But like I said, it doesn't matter who actually took the decision, because that does not change the fact that he is no longer part of the band.

We may talk about Ali a lot, but we're never really saying anything new. It's the same old story again and again, and it probably will be until justice is served.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:27 PM
Super ‹ber UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
when people say, well lets let the legal system sort it out well yes thats ok but its the moral side of the argument that is wrong. He left so at what point is there an arguement? surely anyone can see how him trying to use the name is wrong its so simple, why cant some people get that.
And that is it, in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post

We may talk about Ali a lot, but we're never really saying anything new. It's the same old story again and again, and it probably will be until justice is served.
That's optimistic; I don't think we'll ever hear the end of it, no matter what the decision of the courts....
Old 30th July 2014, 12:42 PM
UBloonie

only because his loyal fans (i cant believe that they cant understand how immoral it is) are the ones telling him its ok go on call yourself ub40 it was your voice on most of the songs blah blah blah what a load of sh1t. hmmm Tony Hadley is not Spandau, Phil Collins is not Genesis, , Phil Oakey is not Human league they go out as themselves ,i aint got a problem with him going out as himself but ub40 he aint
Old 30th July 2014, 01:07 PM
UB40 Band Member

It's all just smoke and mirrors, throwing as many different excuses as possible into the air to keep it as confused as possible.

It's all to disguise the fact that leaving the band was a massive mistake and the only way to prevent the slide in to even greater obscurity is to pretend it never happened. It has been proved time and time again that nobody is interested in buying tickets to see aldi campbell and his 'dep' band. He tried it and it didn't work for him. It's a shame, if he had been more successful we wouldn't be going through all this now after seven years, but that is where he is now. I can understand it, he does it out of desperation and a lack of any real alternatives.

anant is 100% correct.

Doesn't matter why he left, the fact still remains, he left.

We have endless quotes and contradictions from our ex singer, all the evidence we need is a few clicks away on youtube and newspaper websites.

He left the band 7 years ago and launched his solo career with a tour under the name of aldi campbell and his 'dep' band. UB40 brought in a new singer and continued to record and tour as UB40.

that was how it went.

simple.