Old 29th July 2014, 04:27 PM
UB40 Band Member

I 100% agree with that tikabilla.

Problem is, he left UB40 seven years ago so UB40 no loner have him as lead singer singer.

That doesn't even begin to address the problem of the use of the name and his claim that the 'dep' band are UB40.

It's a simple case of right and wrong. not just legally but morally too.

avoiding the subject is a bit of a cop out.

You also make assumptions about what attracted people to the music.

I'm sure that the audience that were drawn to UB40 from LOL onwards were very much attracted by his distinctive vocals.

But I'm not sure that you can make that same assumption for fans of the very EARLY material from 1980 to 1984.

Signing off featured instrumentals very heavily, aldi himself was keen to emphasise the dub aspects of the music.

That's why the band have gone back to that time for inspiration for the future. And the steady growth in ticket sales since the split is a testament to the demand that is there for UB40. By reducing the amount of those massive hits in the set, and concentrating on new material and really OLD songs we feel we have dealt with the split with some integrity.

If this is disappointing for some people at our shows [not that we've noticed any lack of enthusiasm in our audience], and someone is yearning to hear all the hits then our ex singer is maybe your best bet, but he cannot claim that the 'dep' band are UB40.
Old 29th July 2014, 04:37 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
The reason I haven't got into the whole who has the right to use the name is because it is none of my business . its something that Ali, Astro, Mickey, Norman, Earl, Brian,JB & Robin need to deal with through the legal system , all I will say though and this is not to provoke a reaction, is that when most people hear the name UB40 they instantly think of the voice of Ali Campbell
That maybe what you think of but all evidence suggests you are part of a small minority.When it comes to gigs played,tickets sold,facebook page likes and web site traffic there really is no contest.Ali knows this himself which is why he is trying to hijack the UB40 name.He's managed to sell some tickets this time by pretending to be UB40 but half a dozen stand alone gigs pales in to insignificance compared to the 40 odd UB40 will have played by the end of the year.I would estimate that only about 10% of the UB40 fan base have shown any interest in Ali's career.That is a shame because if he had done better he wouldn't have been reduced commiting fraud.
Old 29th July 2014, 04:46 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkabilla View Post
The reason I haven't got into the whole who has the right to use the name is because it is none of my business . its something that Ali, Astro, Mickey, Norman, Earl, Brian,JB & Robin need to deal with through the legal system , all I will say though and this is not to provoke a reaction, is that when most people hear the name UB40 they instantly think of the voice of Ali Campbell

But NOT the name as Errol Brown lead singer of Hot Chocolate was straight enough to point out when asked about his solo outings he didn't fraudulently use his bands name to promote his music:

How do you feel about the general lack of success you then had with your solo career?

“It was a very unfortunate thing. My first solo record on Warner Brothers was a song called ‘Personal Touch’. And I guess when things are meant to be, and when they’re NOT meant to be, is a funny thing. One of the things I found out when I left Hot Chocolate was that it’s amazing how you can be in a group for so many years, and people are still not familiar with your name. I mean, I love UB40 and the stuff they do. But I can’t for the life of me remember the guy’s name who sang lead on their hits, though I love his voice. And what I realised was that, when people said ‘Errol Brown’, it just wasn’t immediately obvious to the public that it was the lead singer of Hot Chocolate. So, I guess a successful solo career just wasn’t meant to be! But, you know, it’s OK!”

ERROL BROWN: A Fondent Farewell
Old 29th July 2014, 04:48 PM
UB40 Band Member

exactly comrade. We are not talking about 'most people', we are talking about core fans of UB40. Not the average person who only know the hits. They are generally more informed about what has happened and have been happy to continue to support the band after losing our lead singer. To the point where we are actually capturing even MORE fans than we had when aldi first left.

I don't see why anyone should need to defer an opinion until a court has decided.

Morality is learned in the cradle surely ???
Old 29th July 2014, 05:12 PM
Über UBLoonie

"when most people think of the band, they think of Ali Campbell"

We read this a lot, but I really truly doubt this is true. First of all, whether it's true or not does not change the fact that his use of the name UB40 is fraudulent.

Second of all, I sometimes question whether his voice is actually all that distinctive. There are many examples of fans mistaking Duncan for Ali. Also, on youtube, people are often confused about who wrote which songs. "Bob Marley - Red Red Wine" is a common one I see, and another is "UB40 - Baby I love your way". If everybody recognised Ali's distinctive voice then surely things like this wouldn't happen?
Old 29th July 2014, 05:14 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Tikka, thank you for your civil and thoughtful contributions, it would certainly go a long way if more of us could do this in the manner that you have. There are two issues I have with your last comment. The first is regarding the use of the name UB40, while it's a PC thing to say, "it's not my business, let the court decide", you must have an opinion about this. I don't live in Gaza/Israel, but I have an option on the morality of right and wrong; I'm too old to have children, but I have an opinion about abortion; I don't live in. Mexico, but I have an opinion about immigration issues. With that in mind, I'd like to ask you, with all sincerity, what your opinion is regarding the ethical and moral use of the band name by the ex-singer and his new band.

As to the second part of your answer concerning his voice being what most people instantly recognize, I beg to differ with you. for me personally, not in a generic caveat of "everybody recognizes", because it truly differs for each individual, I can honestly say that it's the musical aspect that I find most enjoyable. It's no coincidence that my top favorites happen to be Adella, 12bar, and Don't walk on the grass. Don't get me wrong, I love 99% of their music ((red, red wine stole that other one percent))

Last edited by San Diego; 29th July 2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 29th July 2014, 05:31 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
"when most people think of the band, they think of Ali Campbell"

We read this a lot, but I really truly doubt this is true. First of all, whether it's true or not does not change the fact that his use of the name UB40 is fraudulent.

Second of all, I sometimes question whether his voice is actually all that distinctive. There are many examples of fans mistaking Duncan for Ali. Also, on youtube, people are often confused about who wrote which songs. "Bob Marley - Red Red Wine" is a common one I see, and another is "UB40 - Baby I love your way". If everybody recognised Ali's distinctive voice then surely things like this wouldn't happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego View Post
Tikka, thank you for your civil and thoughtful contributions, it would certainly go a long way if more of us could do this in the manner that you have. There are two issues I have with your last comment. The first is regarding the the use of the name UB40, while it's a PC thing to say, "it's not my business, let the court decide", you must have an opinion about this. I don't live in Gaza/Israel, but I have an option on the morality of right and wrong; I'm too old to have children, but I have an opinion about abortion; I don't live in. Mexico, but I have an opinion about immigration issues. With that in mind, I'd like to ask you, with all sincerity, what your opinion is regarding the ethical and moral use of the band name by the ex-singer and his new band.

As to the second part of your answer concerning his voice being what most people instantly recognize, I beg to differ with you. for me personally, not in a generic caveat of "everybody recognizes", because it truly differs for each individual, I can honestly say that it's the musical aspect that I find most enjoyable. It's no coincidence that my top favorites happen to be Adella, 12bar, and Don't walk on the grass. Don't get me wrong, I love 99% of their music ((red, red wine stole that other one percent))
Fully concur.If Ali's voice WAS UB40 why the lack of interest in his solo career?
Old 29th July 2014, 05:47 PM
UBloonie

because ub40 was never about 1 person , if jimmy had left ub40 would have got a drummer etc etc its the blend for me
Old 29th July 2014, 05:48 PM
UBloonie

What I said was in JEST. Go back and read the entire thing. I said it so I could put in names of different bands who had brothers in them. It's really pointless to read something unless you take it in the context it was intended. The DEP Band are alright. I don't really like their style, but I have no problems with them. Like Jimmy said, they're just doing what they're told.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 29th July 2014, 06:03 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old loonie View Post
because ub40 was never about 1 person , if jimmy had left ub40 would have got a drummer etc etc its the blend for me

exactly OL.

We've toured without astro, without norman, without brian and without earl. It didn't make a lot of difference to the show.

This is the lesson our ex singer has learned, to his disappointment.

UB40 as a brand is known world wide, the individual band members, not so much.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that our ex singer has learned the hard way.

That's why leaving the band when he did was such a big mistake.

Unfortunately we all have to live with the consequences of our actions.