Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th July 2014, 01:01 PM
UB40 Fan

Default Newmarket races

I went to the Newmarket races on Friday a gift for me because the person who bought it thought it was UB40. You already know it was the imposter and I did too but went along because I knew I’d love the racing. Yes you guessed it a Heart FM presenter introduced UB40 with Ali, Astro & Mickey. It was 95% Labour of love tracks and for a true UB40 fan a bit predictable and dull. Obviously for a big majority of the crowd who were well tanked up after drinking from 3pm onwards (9pm start for gig) they didn’t really care.

I was totally sober but was intrigued how they would sound after seeing the real UB40 as recently as May this year. The backing band (DEP band) were very flat sounding, there was no crowd intervention from the DEP band and it was very bassy, ie trying too hard to sound like hard reggae. Sometimes Ali’s voice showed his uniqueness and melodic voice but too often it was truly awful. The worst track was 1 in 10 almost unrecognisable. For most who were drunk and not true fans (as Ali says it was a captive audience come mainly for racing) it fulfilled a purpose to dance and sing along to Karaeoke style hits.

Oh and it looks like Astro is the new front man as he did all the talking and appeared on as many songs as he could to toast to.
The person who I went with who is not a UB40 fan but has seen the real UB40 back in May with me commented after the Gig. ‘I preferred the Real one we saw back in May they sounded a lot tighter and I enjoyed it more’. Enough said, I ditto that 100%. Such a shame that many people are being subjected to sub standard live UB40 music.

Last edited by reggaeron; 28th July 2014 at 01:04 PM.