Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 14th November 2010, 10:13 AM
UBNewbie

The key words in that sentence were 'for me'. Everyone else, of course, will have a different opinion.

Not that I should have to explain myself, but there's a reason why I chose to include that statement. I realise that over the years, UB40 have had their many detractors as well as fans. From personal experience, many of the detractors I've met have based their dislike of the band on most of the band's more recent output.

I just wanted to highlight to those people that the anger and power held within 'Signing Off' shouldn't be necessarily be judged by UB40's later works. I still hope people will read the 'Signing Off' review and take on board that I feel it is

Quote:
one of the most important debuts by a British band
and try listing to it, if they've not already done so.

Last edited by realgone; 14th November 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post
The key words in that sentence were 'for me'. Everyone else, of course, will have a different opinion.

Not that I should have to explain myself, but there's a reason why I chose to include that statement. I realise that over the years, UB40 have had their many detractors as well as fans. From personal experience, many of the detractors I've met have based their dislike of the band on most of the band's more recent output.

I just wanted to highlight to those people that the anger and power held within 'Signing Off' shouldn't be necessarily be judged by UB40's later works. I still hope people will read the 'Signing Off' review and take on board that I feel it is

and try listing to it, if they've not already done so.
Yes and no to having to explain yourself Realgone.. If you write a piece of very interesting info and in depth analysis on the album, that gets syndicated on other websites, people are bound to read it- and discuss it. I think it's great that you have come here to be involved with that, but that is also bound to in some way have you justify some of your comments- good and bad!
My initial reaction, apart from what a great review for the album you wrote, was has this writer listened to the later, less commercial side of UB40?
I cant believe that Who You Fighting For? and 24/7 have been glossed over as irrelevant- that is after all, their later work... some of the song writing and performing on those two albums are by far the most poignant and political work they have done.. and yes, that is only my opinion, but its such a pole apart from yours that I wonder if there should be some middle ground between the two?
I'm not trying to get into an heated debate, I welcome your response Realgone.. this was a genuine, well written review and I think we can have a grown up discussion about it without resorting to name calling please everyone.. after all, what are sundays for?
Luci x
Old 14th November 2010, 11:13 AM
UBNewbie

It's been a long time since I heard them, so yes, I'll be more than willing to give 'Who You Fighting For?' and 'Guns In The Ghetto' another go.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:17 AM
Super Über UBloonie

rg i think thats a really really well written article,but as luci says,give who you fighting for-24/7 a listen etc....i`d like to hear your opinion on those two albums....

anyway thats enough sensible stuff from me for this month,i`m off to post a pile of shite
Old 14th November 2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post
It's been a long time since I heard them, so yes, I'll be more than willing to give 'Who You Fighting For?' and 'Guns In The Ghetto' another go.
Well, I dont think I could ask for anything more than that!
Have a listen or two- that's your homework for the day mate!
In fact, I might even join you..
Old 14th November 2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
UBloonie

lol @ Tik..
Hey RG- What about TWENTYFOURSEVEN? I never even mentioned Guns lol
Old 14th November 2010, 11:21 AM
UBNewbie

No, you didn't! Okay, I'll add '24/7' to my listening pile for the week.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:55 AM
UBloonie

what a great discussion. have to say ' gotta tell someone ' is my favourite track on WYFF . not very political but a great tune !!!!!!!!!!
Old 14th November 2010, 12:05 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luci Lockit View Post
after all, what are sundays for?
Luci x
In this house? Writing a set of minutes from a month ago and stopping to watch the last F1 gp of the season

Hijack over - discussion can continue now
Old 14th November 2010, 12:57 PM
UB40 Band Member

UB40 always approached making music the same way through the whole of our career. That never changed. What did change, however, is british culture. The Thatcher legacy was rampant consumerism and a mountain of debt. It was an orgy of aspiration. Luxury goods and designer labels invaded the high street and we all went on a shopping frenzy. A 20-year new years eve party. Who wants to listen to a bunch of moaning brummies?? We were like the miserable uncle at the wedding, trying to spoil everybody's fun. Ub's were just too ordinary for such glamorous times. We weren't Jay Kay with his sports cars and trophy girlfriend and party lifestyle [although, I imagine any one of us could party Jay Kay into the ground]. We weren't aspirational, it was impossible to use our music and image [non-image] to sell anything other than the music itself. So we became out of touch with the times.
I think UB40 still has something to contribute musically and lyrically particularly now that the party is over and we are all nursing an epic hangover. And, with racism that seems to be worse than when we were young, our image is starting to look a bit more inspiring too.