Old 21st June 2014, 05:45 PM
UB40 Band Member

Default british values.

to really define what british values are it might be an idea to look at what it is the british excel at compared to the rest of the world.

in what fields are the british world leaders.

it might be worth making a list.

so ill start with a few suggestions.

teenage pregnancies. [of all major western countries the UK has the most].

manufacturing weapons. [britain is way ahead of any other western country apart from the USA.]

selling weapons. [the department in government responsible for supporting british exports dedicates over 50% of its resources to international arms sales. it is well known secret that, if you want to know where the next conflict will break out , then just ask the british arms industry because they will supplying weapons to BOTH SIDES]

management.[ britain has twice the amount of managers as a proportion of the workforce than other comparable countries, including germany. we also pay our executives class higher wages than the rest of europe. most other countries still expect management to know a little about the companies they manage, but here we just play musical chairs with the same incompetent executives that are shuffled around on 2 year contracts].

tax evasion. [we are the go to country for anyone who wants to stash their cash somewhere that the tax man won't get it. the city of london is the central hub of a network of tax havens that allows the uber rich, the corporations, financiers, rentiers and asset owners to avoid making any contribution to the infrastructures of the countries that they got rich from exploiting].

drinking.[ the popular sport of getting sh*t faced on a friday and saturday night is thriving in the UK. we are well ahead of our nearest competitors].

ill be adding to the list in time. but if anyone else has any suggestions ? . . . . .
Old 21st June 2014, 09:17 PM
UBloonie

Looks like England and the US are good at a lot of the same things lol

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 22nd June 2014, 03:55 AM
Über UBLoonie

Send a message via ICQ to KGB_I_was_NOT Send a message via MSN to KGB_I_was_NOT

Awww… don't be so hard on yourselves!!

Humor (I mean, c'mon, just reading some comments in this forum would have you in stitches)

Acting (don't have to fake the accent to play anything Shakespear)

Gardens and landscape design

errrm… did I mention humor?

And, of course, Brits are number one in……………………

UB40!!!!

Old 22nd June 2014, 11:24 AM
UB40 Band Member

yes I agree with all those Irina.

and you're right about the band too. it took a particular colonial history to bring us all together on the same street.

and the humour thing too. our irony and sense of the absurd makes our comedies the popular the world over. where else could monty python come from ??

not so convinced about the acting bit. I think the greeks might have something to say about that. they invented theatre after all.

the garden thing is spot on though. i remember visiting fiji, and even the most dilapidated shack had a neat front garden. this was because fiji was an ex british colony where they adopted the old fashioned habit of having manicured front gardens.

and we can add another one to the list.

the NHS. a recent study by an american think tank has looked at the quality of different health systems in the top 11 developed countries. the british NHS came top of the list. we have the best but also one of the cheapest healthcare systems in the world. the USA came last, it was twice as expensive and much less efficient.
Old 22nd June 2014, 01:04 PM
UBloonie

the british are crap at other languages...compared to others. even the french.
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:10 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGhost-F.G.E View Post
the british are crap at other languages...compared to others. even the french.
Aswell as English hey.

We're good at standing in queues and most of us are quite polite while waiting.
Old 30th June 2014, 02:13 AM
UB40 Band Member

another national trait.

the british are good losers.

I think a lot of us have been a bit bemused by how carried away the south american teams and supporters have been in this world cup. jumping all over each other in ecstasy, and breaking down in hysterical crying [even when they are winning]. you could almost think that they see footy as a matter of life and death.

It's not that we lack passion. It's just our sense of proportion [and the absurd] means we can see it for what it is, ridiculous.

It's only a bunch of grown blokes kicking a ball round a patch of grass. So cut out the dramatics and hysteria and get on with it. It's only a fin game
Old 30th June 2014, 11:39 AM
UBloonie

Probably as good as anyone in reporting world news but also number 1 in gutter press.

Building up people as heroes and then knocking them down when we are done with them.

Pomp

Looking after those that have plenty in the first place (this is a worldwide trait I suppose) but we are very good at it ourselves

Talking about the 'good old days'
Old 30th June 2014, 11:45 AM
UBloonie

Despising Sepp Blatter!!!
Old 30th June 2014, 11:47 AM
UBloonie

Purchasing copious amounts of crap records over the years...

Never admitting the fact that you actually did!!!