Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 2nd May 2014, 01:29 PM
UBloonie

Default Six gigs in a week review!!

Glad i will write it down now else I will forget how brilliant it was… NOT… I will never forget this trip to heaven
Friday we leave for Kerkrade to pick up our lovely Wildcat Tanya. After we had lots of talks and drinks we went to the venue. We were there a half hour before doors went open. Did some talking with the loonies who were there… yeah missed a few UK loonies who are normally here with Holland’s ub40 tour. Sorry Marg no English lessons for you this time and Karen no”push the buttons”action this time. Doors went open en we were right in front. Yeah I did know what the setlist was but heyyy knowing something or hearing something is a different story. The opening of the gig was brilliant. Was happy to see my hero’s enjoy every minute of the gig. This setlist worked very well. Dunc was at his best and the crowd was singing along to. I really like the G.O.T.S album, yeah of course I had has given it more times to listen to but the songs are live so great, and they suits dunc and robin very well. For my the “how will I get through” song is brilliant especially when everybody stops playing and they all sing together GOOSEBUMPS…. The show was over before we knew it, not because the setlist was short but because we liked it so F* much. After the show I was so lucky catching up with the guys again. Really had some big hugs lot of talks and had the opportunity to give the whole band a special UB40 promo DVD. But that’s a story for later…. Ehhh Dave!! I don’t know where your copy is but maybe next time I will bring another one for you haha…After a few drinks we went home and took Wildy with us to our home. The next day we let her see what Kingsday is here in Holland before we went to Uden. We came there right before doors went open and… there was nobody!!! We get in with the 3 of us and half an hour later the venue was filled with happy people. The vibe was really great and the show sounded if you were listening to a well mastered live gig. AWESOME sounds!! Thanks ub40 crew for that. Next stop was Haarlem. This was a great venue also. Was way back to the right side of stage. Sound was very good again. Robin asked us afterwards not to go that far away because he can’t see us enjoying haha. We had a couple of drinks after the gig and went to our hotel. In the bar we spoke with Martin about the setlist and how great it was. We looked at the singles charts here in Holland and he didn’t know Sing Our Own Song was that big of a hit over here. Yeah Man it is… MMM he said I have to talk to robin then…. Next day at the first Dordrecht gig they mentioned that they gonna preform a song that they didn’t rehearsed for this tour. Sing our own song... how great is that. This is for you norm martin said. Really the venue went mad… If you ever have the possibility to look for the video DEES made of it, Do It. Our Dutch friend Eloisa went mad and dance almost tills she drops haha. I was a hard time for robin singing after that song but… he did!!! The second show in Dordrecht wasn’t sold out BUT did get sold out right after the first gig in Dordrecht was finished!! I think there were a few people who want to let it happen again. There was even a man (think he was almost 65) who throw 100 euro’s on stage to buy the whole band there drinks. The man told us he had the day of his live he was so happy!!! The second show was great also and the sound in bibelot was as brilliant as the venue itself. In the meantime we had the opportunity to talk to the guys a lot. Make so fun with Lord Matt Campbell and his friend Mike. Men that boy can drink haha but filming after he had some was hard for him!! Nice to catch up bro’s. After these great Dordrecht gigs we had to say goodbye to Wildy she has to go home. We had some big hugs and off she went. And off we went to another gig to do. The gig in Zwolle was the best sound for me ever. Really I like the smaller venues because the sound is so awesome. The gig was over to soon. Had a drink afterwards and Matt interviewed me about the promo DVD I did make. Glad he did this at day 7 because I had practise English the days before. We had a few drinks and then it was time to go home. The boys give me and my lovely Wendy the week of our lives for sure. We did take a few photos and went outside. A few short words in the bus and there they go for a long trip back home. Like I did say on Facebook and I will quote “It’s about real friendship with the most beautiful guys in the world. REAL music with REAL musicians who still believe what they are doing and I can tell the whole F* world a secret…. WHAT THEY DO, THEY DO IT REALY GOOD… there is only ONE UB40 and that will always be. DONE”……. So I promised Robin to make a good review, think I did!!! Many thanks for all the great moments together LOVE YOU ALL….. Normie & Wendy
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:22 PM
UBloonie

Great review Normie
and nice to see you both again
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:45 PM
UBloonie

Great review Norman, i wish i could have done more gigs than 2, but who knows ey? Tuesday Robin nearly had me in tears when he started singing that song, the line sounded so familiar to me and suddenly i realised it was song my dad used to listen to when he still was alive. Normally i don't get all that emotional, but this one threw me off big time (but in a good way)!

It was a great time once again, enjoyed every minute of it!

You've cat to be kitten me right?
Old 2nd May 2014, 03:44 PM
UB40 Fan

great review Normie! thanks for sharing..
Old 2nd May 2014, 04:59 PM
UBloonie

Brilliant, thanks for sharing all that with us Normie x

G
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:25 PM
UB40 Band Member

Great Review Normie!!

Thanks to you and the lovely Wendy for your company.

Love you back, RBC xx
Old 2nd May 2014, 08:43 PM
Über UBLoonie

Loved reading that ....transported me ....the gigs sound so amazing ....mmmmmm.......
Thank you for that little trip to lovely Holland with UB40
Old 2nd May 2014, 09:28 PM
UBloonie

Great review. And yes the sound in my hometown Zwolle is perfect
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:31 PM
UBloonie

Thumbs up

... It's wonderful

UB40 still has a magnetic affect ... at home and further afield !!

Max Respec - ALWAYZ

Bobby xxxxxxxxx
Old 4th May 2014, 01:20 PM
UB40 Fan

I so enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing Normie ! Ooh how lucky to get an extra song and Sing Our Own Song is one of my most favourites ! Big love all xx