Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 17th April 2014, 01:37 AM
UB40 Band Member

Default How journalism works.

As most of us know, our ex-singer has attempted to mount a media campaign in order to discredit his old bandmates. It's feeble and has made absolutely no difference to our tour, which has been sold out well received.

None of the national mainstream media are interested in what is now an old story. And his internet traffic is unimpressive. So they have resorted to trying to pretend they are disgruntled fans who hated our show. Not that it will persuade the thousands of people we've played to over the last few weeks. But even that is too small to really matter.

But one newspaper has been fairly keen to give our ex-singer a platform for his delusions. That's a local rag called the Sunday mercury.

When we were asked for an interview, by its sister paper the Birmingham mail, we made it very clear that we didn't want to discuss our ex-singer before the interview. It was me and dunc who were given the job, and most of the interview was done by me. The journalist in question (I don't really care or remember what his name is) kept saying things like "I know you don't want to talk about aldi, but.......", and would then ask a question about him. This prompted me to reply that I didn't have much interest in what our ex singer had to say in his newspaper, I don't read it. End of story. The journalist went on to ask several questions about our current tour, I answered them and eventually passed over to dunc. Who spoke to the journalist for several minutes, a much shorter interview than mine. I didn't really listen to him very closely and left the room before dunc had finished.

A few days later the article that appeared was only about the "feuding brothers" and repeated all the same tired allegations that our ex-singer had already given to the rag of a newspaper. I had one line in the interview. The rest was about the "split" in the band and a quote from dunc in an unguarded moment (he's naturally upset at the fact that his little brother, who he was closest to, has turned out to be such an asshole), that gave them the excuse to focus the entire interview on tawdry gossip and tabloid tittle tattle.

Gutter journalism at its best.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:52 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
As most of us know, our ex-singer has attempted to mount a media campaign in order to discredit his old bandmates. It's feeble and has made absolutely no difference to our tour, which has been sold out well received.

None of the national mainstream media are interested in what is now an old story. And his internet traffic is unimpressive. So they have resorted to trying to pretend they are disgruntled fans who hated our show. Not that it will persuade the thousands of people we've played to over the last few weeks. But even that is too small to really matter.

But one newspaper has been fairly keen to give our ex-singer a platform for his delusions. That's a local rag called the Sunday mercury.

When we were asked for an interview, by its sister paper the Birmingham mail, we made it very clear that we didn't want to discuss our ex-singer before the interview. It was me and dunc who were given the job, and most of the interview was done by me. The journalist in question (I don't really care or remember what his name is) kept saying things like "I know you don't want to talk about aldi, but.......", and would then ask a question about him. This prompted me to reply that I didn't have much interest in what our ex singer had to say in his newspaper, I don't read it. End of story. The journalist went on to ask several questions about our current tour, I answered them and eventually passed over to dunc. Who spoke to the journalist for several minutes, a much shorter interview than mine. I didn't really listen to him very closely and left the room before dunc had finished.

A few days later the article that appeared was only about the "feuding brothers" and repeated all the same tired allegations that our ex-singer had already given to the rag of a newspaper. I had one line in the interview. The rest was about the "split" in the band and a quote from dunc in an unguarded moment (he's naturally upset at the fact that his little brother, who he was closest to, has turned out to be such an asshole), that gave them the excuse to focus the entire interview on tawdry gossip and tabloid tittle tattle.

Gutter journalism at its best.
Yes comrade.He's sunk to a new low which is some achievement.As you said the tour has sold out and I would wager that the vast majority of fans attending will have seen the band with Dunc and have come back for more.Contrast that with Aldi's paltry three gigs,of which he'll struggle to sell out at least two,and the true picture emerges.

This tour has been a triumph.His pathetic attempts at sabotage have been like a pea shooter firing at a tank.
Old 17th April 2014, 01:54 AM
Über UBLoonie

Amazing how people can edit stuff ....to squeeze it into the narrow minded little boxes they want to
.....am not sure why they bother even meeting you if have already written the story

you would think they would get tired of repeating the same stuff over and over ... I am sure everyone else is ....everytime I read the garbage ...I keep thinking ....MOVE ON ....

Gutters in indeed .....words can talk .....but the videos don't lie ....here is one I prepared earlier...

Old 17th April 2014, 03:04 AM
UBloonie

My mum wrote a letter to the Birmingham mail once protesting about the shoddy way they had reported the return of my brothers regiment from Afghanistan, they used it as an attack on the soldiers and virtually implied they were an illegial occupying force. Now Im against the war and I know alot of people on here are, but what my mum was trying to put across was that it wasnt the soldiers fault they were over there and despite the wrongs and rights of it, they still deserved some recognition for their bravery. When the letter appeared in the paper, surprise surprise all the negative views were edited out and it had been turned into a glowing praise about the way the paper had reported the story, naturally my mum was livid, but didnt write a reply in case that was then twisted into a glowing reference to their supposed journalistic skills
Old 17th April 2014, 09:13 AM
UBloonie

As James Bond quips in Tomorrow Never Dies after some moron falls into the printing press, he says "they'll print anything these days..." before he cooly continues his adventure. It's also has a plotline about gutter journalism at its most extreme.
Seriously, where were the journalistic ethics here? Anyway. thanks for sharing the real backstory behind the lines. Carry on UB40, carry on...
Peace
Old 17th April 2014, 09:53 AM
UBloonie

after reading this thread, the story of france's president came to mind and the story about his affairs etc, the french jornos and people were not really that intrested in the story, nor was the rest of the world for that matter,
the only people that made an issue of it was the british press..
the french press, told the british press they should grow up,
i agree.
im all for press freedoms, but they need to be more responsible, and as the french said, grow up, the fact that katie price getting married for a 3rd time is front page news baffles me, especially as it was at the time of the attack on an oil refinery in north africa.
the sun printing a front page story 1 sat, about a women blaming the benefits system for the fact she had put on lots of weight..
1 could spend the rest of the day listing examples..
i do think a lot of the press are from the same oxbridge uni's the polititians are, and its like some school yard war between them, and all petty.
the problem is the british people (not all) believe these papers, and we give them to much power.. maybe we, and tv shows that do paper reviews should just ignore them,,, hence take away there power..
Old 17th April 2014, 10:49 AM
Über UBLoonie

This is exactly what has happened with Ali.

He has tried his hardest to make an honest solo career out of himself. So he spends 20 minutes talking about his upcoming work wit the DEP band, and then just 15 seconds talking about the split. Yet that's what the newspapers talk about and make it appear as if he is a very bitter and angry.

Poor Ali, it's not his fault

Last edited by DreamBig; 17th April 2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:00 AM
UBloonie

I think the thing that irks me and probably all the other loyal fans is the fact that a lot of people are getting confused by the promotion of 'UB40' concerts.

Unless they are members here or on FB, they buy tickets believing they are going to see the real thing. By the time this sorry mess is all sorted out by the lawyers, the tickets will already have been bought by the unsuspecting public. I think this was Ali & Co's aim all along.

I hate it

G
Old 17th April 2014, 12:38 PM
UBloonie

Exactly right G, I have two examples;

1. One of my colleagues said the other day that she was going to see 'UB40' at Hatfield House I had to put her right, "oh no your not"
2. My brother text me last night do I want to go and see 'UB40' at the O2 indigo, again I had to explain, and NO I did not want to go.

In the words of Burning Spear (replace Christopher columbus with)

Aldi Campbell, is a damn blasted LIAR!
Old 17th April 2014, 01:01 PM
UBloonie

It's sickening that such an important medium hasnt got the decency to print what they are told or just not print the story at all. Equally there are those who use the media for their own ends. Unfortunately, the feuding could be seen as assisting Ali's cause (sympathy vote and all) because without it he is old news.