Old 29th December 2014, 02:04 AM
UBloonie

yep sounds right. Vocally now awful
Old 31st December 2014, 07:10 PM
UBNewbie

Default Ali/UB40

Saw Ali/UB40 at Brentwood a while ago and they were excellent to be totally honest. Maybe some on here (who clearly don't like Ali) should have more of an open mind about the quality of the gigs. Just being totally honest.
Now I'll put my crash helmet on!
Old 31st December 2014, 08:22 PM
UB40 Fan

You went to see Ali Campbell, NOT Ali/UB40...

I saw them back in February, and I have to disagree with your opinion.

Ali's voice was terrible and he sang off key frequently.
The band, while being competent do NOT sound like UB40 in the least.
The setlist was basically a Labour Of Love and cover versions snoozefest.

The above aside, Astro coming on stage saying "we are UB40" was an insult to UB40 fans. Of course, the Red Red Wine brigade who make up the bulk of their audience don't know any different.

So about the quality of ths gigs... You seem easily pleased with mediocrity, as were a lot of people who were in attendance at the one I went to. That's exactly what they're hoping for while masquerading as UB40 - audiences who won't know an off key note as long as Red Red Wine gets played sometime....

We all have open minds here. Open enough to know not to support a bunch of imposters who are trying to ruin the band we really love and support. The fact that they're actually rubbish is just a bonus.
Old 31st December 2014, 08:23 PM
UB40 Fan

Yea and I've seen then at Newmarket races and they were ok but they weren't musically up there with UB40 in my opinion and people who were with me. Anyway it's not about that it's the fraudulent use of UB40s name that grates. He left them to go solo that didn't work out how he wanted so he saw money in masquerading under the old name. Totally unethical, immoral and fraudulent so I won't support that thank you very much.
Old 1st January 2015, 11:50 AM
UBloonie

oh dear try seeing ub40 then comparr as must be really easily pleased my friend. Oh and he is not ub40
Old 3rd January 2015, 06:00 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the Brit View Post
Saw Ali/UB40 at Brentwood a while ago and they were excellent to be totally honest. Maybe some on here (who clearly don't like Ali) should have more of an open mind about the quality of the gigs. Just being totally honest.
Now I'll put my crash helmet on!

Just being totally honest, You didn't need your crash helmet !
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:06 PM
UBloonie

Their setlist isn't actually Labour of love based, obviously they do Red Red Wine, Homely Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Kingston Town, Cherry Oh Baby (the same amount of LOL songs as Ub40 do right?) but they also do Food for Thought, One in Ten, Folitician, Bring Me Your Cup etc and 3 from the new album. I cant see anything wrong with a set like that.
Old 4th January 2015, 12:22 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
Their setlist isn't actually Labour of love based, obviously they do Red Red Wine, Homely Girl, The Way You Do The Things You Do, Kingston Town, Cherry Oh Baby (the same amount of LOL songs as Ub40 do right?) but they also do Food for Thought, One in Ten, Folitician, Bring Me Your Cup etc and 3 from the new album. I cant see anything wrong with a set like that.
Can't you really npg? That works out as bugger all from Ali's solo repertoire according to those calculations, in which case he really has thrown in the towel as far as a 'solo' career is concerned.
Old 4th January 2015, 12:33 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
Says it all really about your understanding of the wrongful use of the band's name.
Old 4th January 2015, 01:00 AM
UB40 Band Member

exactly saad.

Why leave UB40 and record 3 solo albums, only to end up playing UB40 songs. ??

ever since our ex singer had to cancel his own tour he has been playing catch-up.

at first he was playing a lot of his own stuff. but cancelling the tour and some less than inspiring reviews that pointed out how restless the audience were becoming while they were waiting for RRW, meant that the UB40 tracks were quickly added.

While UB40 were touring signing off, our ex singer was performing a greatest hits LOL set. around this time he was not performing any original UB40 tracks, and in several interviews stated that he didn't intend to play them.

When UB40 dropped most of the LOL set and concentrated on new and really OLD material [from before LOL], our ex singer started adding older original songs like 1 in 10 and folitician.

When UB40 announce a tour you can guarantee that our ex singer will announce some dates a few weeks later, using the name of his old band, playing material written by his old band.

When fans and press reviews talk about the 'fun' the band are having on stage, we get the 'dep' band and their rictus grins on the lottery show.

Always playing catch-up.

they do say that it's the sincerest form of flattery.